ECV Etiquette in Parks

umbluegray

Mouseketeer
We're getting ready for our May trip and I need to find out all things ECV for my mom. I've got a few questions. Thanks in advance.

1. For those attractions with auxiliary entrances for guests with disAbilities, can ECV guests use these entrances?
2. If you leave an ECV at an attraction entrance, with all the strollers, is there a possibility Cast Members will move the ECV while you're visiting the attraction?

Any other tips you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year, everyone!

1. You can use the alternate entrance with an ECV. Sometimes you may have to transfer to a wc. Other than MK, most attractions have mainstreamed queues so you can ride the ECV all the way to the boarding area.

2. Make sure you take your key with you. If it is necessary for the ECV to be moved the CM can put it in "freewheel" and then move it. Note that if it has been moved and then will not work, the freewheel lever or switch has probably not been reset properly.

Bring a towel to sit on, the seat can get hot. Remember to sunscreen the knees if exposed as well as the hands. My first ECV trip I forgot about my knees being so exposed and got a sunburn :sunny:

Check out the disABILITIES FAQs link above. Most of the information in it is about wheelchairs and ecvs.
In the FAQs, there is a link to the official Disney site's disability information, which gives the text of the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park.
There is also a link to a past disABILITIES Board thread about boarding rides, specifically if extra time is needed.
Pretty much all the attractions are wheelchair accessible, but as was already mentioned, some of the lines require a switch from the ecvv to a wheelchair. There is an icon on the park maps that lets you know for each ride whether you need to switch and whether you need to get out of the wheelchair to board a ride car.

Remember those things take a minute to stop! People will step right out in front of you and you don't want to hit them. They really give you dirty looks! :)

Also make sure the ECV driver looks behind them before backing up. It beeps once it is in motion but not before and if there is someone behind you they will get run down!!

The ECVs I've rented from off site don't beep! I turn the ECV off whenever I'm just sitting. Remember to turn the speed way down when in lines and boarding busses. :moped:

Nanajo1 said:
The ECVs I've rented from off site don't beep! I turn the ECV off whenever I'm just sitting. Remember to turn the speed way down when in lines and boarding busses. :moped:

Definitely important to turn the speed way down when you come to a stop before hitting the power again....that was where my mom did most of her damage!

I noticed noone mentioned Rain. I usually go to the dollar store and purchase one of those 99 cent plastic drop cloths and take a few bungie cords. I rent off site and the chair seat is always cloth, also if it gets to wet up by the key it wont start. Now if it looks like rain and I leave outside an attraction or to in to eat I cover and secure with the 2 bungies. Nothing worse than a wet tushie all day.
:moped:

here's another tip - keep in mind that if you have to stop on an incline (say that monorail ramp) due to crowds in front of you, you might have to keep "pulsing" the forward lever to prevent yourself from slipping backwards. might want to warn those behind you not to stand too close.

also, with the ecv i rented from randy's last week i was told that i was not allowed to use it in the rain. so i didn't park outside restaurants when the weather looked potentially bad, rather drove it in and stayed in it for my meal.

I actually use a small gas grill cover to cover ours. It is heavy enough that it won't blow off and covers the entire thing very effectively.

Carol

dj2 said:
also, with the ecv i rented from randy's last week i was told that i was not allowed to use it in the rain. so i didn't park outside restaurants when the weather looked potentially bad, rather drove it in and stayed in it for my meal.

Walker Mobility provides a shower cap for the starter box/key area. I would think that that would be the thing to be concerned with getting wet as far as the scooter being damaged. What the heck do you do in the summer when it rains practically every day if Randy's said you can't use it in the rain?! :confused3

LovePug said:
What the heck do you do in the summer when it rains practically every day if Randy's said you can't use it in the rain?! :confused3

i agree. when i saw that i had to sign off that i wouldn't use the scooter in the rain, i asked the person who dropped off the scooter about it. his reply was something like that this was january and i wouldn't have trouble like in the summer.

i would put this as a question to ask about when deciding on an ecv rental company. still, couldn't beat their price! and their service and the machine itself were good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter