Ebay

nboicepardee

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,
I read about a lot of people saving money for trips by selling items on Ebay. What types of things sell well and are worth the effort? Thanks for your thoughts!
Natalie

I sell mostly my kids outgrown clothes. I find pajamas sell very well in lots. Also, anything that may be hard to find, like Rescue Heroes stuff or past Gymboree lines, stuff like that.

I also sell my clothes that I no longer want, my dh's clothes (if they are in good shape...he's hard on his clothes!), picture books, collectible toys like Playmobil and Lego, etc.

I've actually done quite well with Ebay...I only really sell twice a year (fall and spring) but I've made some good "fun" money!

I just started selling exactly 1 month ago. After reading the success stories here, I decided to give it a try. The first thing I sold was my daughter's LL Bean fleece jacket. My local consignment usually gives me $5 for the jacket (Been bringing the same type of jacket to her for years, once every 2) I sold it on ebay for $15!! Even after ebay fees, paypal fees and shipping (Didn't know much about shipping then and charged way less than cost), I still made about $10!!! Then I started listing my kids outgrown clothes from last winter, sold almost all of them, then I listed gifts my DH and I have received through the years, new designer belts, wallets and stuff, those went really well. Basically I'm just so happy to get rid of stuff around the house and make money from it. In the past, it would've just gone to the consignment shop or Goodwill. My local consignment shop is picky too, she refused 2 pairs of DS's new GAP jeans because she had too many in stock, well I sold those on ebay far more than what she would've given me.

Sue

I just sell stuff I don't need any more. Because I sell on eBay I keep everything in excellent condition. Just sold a camcorder which is paying for my next trip!

I too have been thinking of selling some items on ebay.

I was wondering what I needed to do to get started?

How do you know what to price an item at? How much do you figure for shipping, etc, etc?

thanks,

A few important things to know about selling on eBay...

- Learn the process with some inexpensive items first.

- Take sharp pictures and write up detailed descriptions. Mention stuff like non-smoking home if applicable.

- Research prices thoroughly by checking completed items sold. Price at or near that with a Buy It Now option.

- Offer quick shipping, people love speed.

- Buy packing materials in bulk and get a scale.

- Respond to customer inquiries quickly and offer to answer all questions.

Hi! :wave:

I've been selling things over the past couple of years now. Ebay can be very fickle, meaning that what's hot one month, will stink the next. Your best bet is to do what others here stated- start off by selling some of your family's stuff first. That way you don't have any money invested in it.

Here are some other tips:
- Start your prices low, people love to think they're getting a bargain and will usually end up paying much more

- Check out USPS dot com for shipping prices. Also get a scale from your post office, walmart or ebay.

- Take good pictures. You can put in your own for free. Photobucket is a great place if you don't have your own site to use.

- Use your title for any keywords people might be typing in to search for such as boys, size 5, sweater, Gap, winter. Avoid using words like awesome or fabulous unless you have extra room.

- Check out the message boards there. My favorite is the Childrens clothing board. Usually lots of experienced people to help you.

- Download Turbolister to help you list your auctions. Very easy and that way you can do a little at a time.

- Set up a paypal account if you already haven't.

Hope some of this helps! :Pinkbounc

Oh I forgot, you can order priority shipping materials for free from USPS dot com. I also recycle boxes and bubble wrap to pack things in.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. We have so much stuff, most of it brand new that we never use. Do you all feel you make enough off of ebay to justify all the extra work? I usually give a whole bunch of clothes away each year, but I could still do that and make a little extra money as well. I have sold a few books on Amazon Marketplace and they give you a set amount for shipping. Does ebay do that? It sounds like you have to establish your own shipping prices.
Thanks!
I can't wait to get back to Disney! We are expecting a baby in about 8 weeks and it is going to be a while (I already have a 2 year old), but I want to plan a trip for about a year from when the baby is born and I am feeling motivated to start saving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter