~EBAY~SILLY things you bought or sold?

peacefulgirl

DIS Veteran
Hi all !!!

This should be kinda fun and informative. Lets see .....

What items have you sold or bought on EBAY that are silly. Things you would have NEVER thought would sell ???? Things you never thought you'de find?
Like an old part to something? An item that you totally didn't need but bought "in the moment."

Or how about things you put up for auction that you NEVER thought would sell, or would sell cheap and you were shocked when it did sell.

As a (former) buyer (new budget!) I can say I bought some pretty dum things. As a NEW seller I am shocked at what sells !

Name some silly items bought or sold ........ (even one you have seen sell but were not your transactions)

This should be really FUN !!!!!! :hyper:

PG

Dish Network satellite receivers. Not the dish itself, the receiver you hook to the TV. I figured everyone did the "get 3 free" sort of thing when you sign up but these go quickly on ebay. We switched from Dish Network to DirecTV to get the receiver with TIVO (DN wanted $300 for it, I said "you do realize I can get it free if I switch to your competitor? I'm willing to do a 1 year service agreement to get one." and they wouldn't do it so we switched). We had 2 DN receivers. Both went on buy it now within hours of listing. One for $100, one for $80.

Other odd things, hmmm...a seat pad for a wooden high chair or child's rocker. I bought one at a craft fair when we were considering a wooden high chair while I was pregnant but we decided on a Chicco one later. I think I started it at $1 with something like a $4 buy it now. Someone bid right away to kill the BIN and it ended up going for $30-something. I had TONS of emails asking if I had more. Also, when my son was in the NICU after he was born they gave him this special pacifier that was a green circle and was scented like vanilla. He was SOO stuck on those things! They only gave me 2 when he was discharged. I called the company and asked if I could order more. They said yes but the minimum order was like 75 of them or something. We bought the tub of them. When he gave up the pacifier we still had 60 or so left. They are individually wrapped. I listed them thinking no one would even know what they were. They sold like mad! We ended up ordering 2 more tubs just to keep selling them. ;) I listed them in lots of 5 or 10. By the time we sold the second tub the company was now letting you buy smaller lots too so you could then get them directly from the company.

A friend of mine made quite a bit selling off her ex husband's collection of old zippo lighters. :p

I sold two Sesame Street bathtub toys (in a lot) that were lovingly played with by both of my kids. I think I probably paid under $10 each for them when they were new. When I listed them at $2 for the lot, I really didn't expect for them to sell. I couldn't believe it when two women kept outbidding each other and the tub toys sold for $32!!

Another one was my son's raincoat. It was a 4T, and it was a firefighter raincoat. I bought it at Marshall's for $12 and sold it, worn but in good condition, for $25!!

It is such a rush when you sell something for more than you originally paid for it!:p

Pens-- where I work we literally get dozens of free pens from various companies daily. It gets to the point we throw them out. I asked the owner if I could sell them and he didn't care-- less hassle for him I guess. Anyhow a lot of 50 pens goes for $25-50 depending on what kind they are. It's crazy. I actually have one person who buys repeatedly every 6 weeks or so--- I wonder what they do w/ all of them???? Nobody ever believes me about the pens either-- until I show them my auction.

One of my biggest suprises was a very stuffy looking sweater that I grabbed for $0.49 from a thrift store. I don't know why I even grabbed it. Just did. Anyhow I listed it for $0.99 thinking it would never go. Anyhow, not only did it go but it went for just under $100!! It was some handmade european sweater I found out.

My sister does well w/ formula. Sometimes more than the going price at the store. She had a ton of it left when her DD stopped drinking it-- she's done selling it now, but it was going like hotcakes!!!

I sold an M&M's character candy dispenser, that i purchased a couple of years ago at a closeout store for .99 , and sold it on ebay for 46.00 I guess people who are collectibles collerctors love them, I was shocked and felt guilty of selling this item for so much money when i only paid .99 WOW i have been looking for them in stores since and cant find them, so maybe it was my loss . LOL
Kim:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I bought an old "****y Trap" game from the 1970's. I guess it was just for the nostalgia and to see if it was as much fun as it was back then. Guess what...it wasn't!

I found some Quisp cereal for $1.99 per 3-pack at Sam's a couple of years ago - people were paying $10 per 3-pack on eBay! :eek: We wound up buying 3 Playstation 2s when they first came out & sold 2 of them on eBay. We made enough selling those 2 to get the money back for the 3 PS2s and had enough to buy a game! :smooth:

A friend of mine made quite a bit selling off her ex husband's collection of old zippo lighters.

he he he !!!

great ones guys!

Was beanie babies popular on EBAY ? I think that was before EBAY no ? Though very cute, that craze was NUTS and if EBAY was selling them ,that must of been CRAZY bidding !!

After hearing some of these stories, I am wondering what treasure we are all sitting on LOL

PG

I sold a bathtub!
When we remodeled our bathroom, we put in a whirlpool tub to replace an wonderful extra long tub with hand grips on the sides. It was perfect for relaxing in the tub. Anyway, I couldn't see just throwing it out! It sold for $20 and the people came from Missouri to Ohio to get it! Amazing!

I have not done this, but I've seen listing for socks. Someone told me to look it up. These are used socks that sell well??? I don't know if it has some hidden meaning, but it is very bizarre.

Originally posted by imsayin
I have not done this, but I've seen listing for socks. Someone told me to look it up. These are used socks that sell well??? I don't know if it has some hidden meaning, but it is very bizarre.

Oh yea,

The hidden meaning is it is for "Adult" videos. I found that out here on these boards. I thought it was for dirty old socks too. ;)

I sold a vintage girdle (that I'd bought at an estate sale) for over $40!!

Some other unusual items I've sold for good prices:

United Farm Worker Vintage pinbacks (I sold a bunch to a Farmworkers' museum in South Florida. The ones printed in Creole go for fairly big bucks).

Paint-by-number oil painting of a St Bernard and her puppies.

Vintage Boston Whaler sales brochure from the 1970s.

Parade of Homes brochure from 1960 from my city (two architects got into a bidding war for it on Ebay and it sold for $60.00).

A book on Polish ethnic dancing (another bidding war!).

Oh my gosh I have an old dish receiver. So does my mom and then my sister. I also have two yellow firemans raincoats from avon that my boys have outgrown. My DH was going to throw out our littletykes kids computer keyboard that I looked up and e-bay had sold two both for over $35. I paid $10 new for it. I have been thinking for a while about doing it as my cousin does and sold a little tykes football toy box for $40 that she bought at a yard sale for $3. I guesse I better get started on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter