eBay gurus????

luvthatdisney

DIS Veteran
I know we have been getting alot of ebay threads, but I really dont like some of the responses I get when I post questions on the ebay community boards. Some responses can be downright mean and nasty - I also am not real sure about the correctness of some of the answers I have gotten so I hope you guys dont mind me asking another ebay related question...

I have just filed my first NPB claim - waited the 8 days and closed the dispute (the other party never responded - they only have 1 fb). I have gotten my FVC. My question is - do I also need to leave neg feedback? I have searched on ebay for the answer and I cant find anything concrete. I know feedback is not a thing you have to do, but I would like for others to know that I did not receive payment from this person. I guess if I do leave a neg - they can neg me back, is that correct? II do know they get a NPB strike - but others cannot see this can they? This whole dispute thing is new to me - I have only been selling for a short while.

Any tips would be appreciated. :confused3

That is the thing about feedback..many times non paying bidders will leave a retalitory neg and lie saying you never contacted them or some crazy thing. But anyone reading it would be able to see what happened. I wouldnt let that stop you from warning others about this person.

And yes I post on those boards sometimes and there are some downright rude people especially on the feedback, packing and paypal boards. There are some "regulars" who only criticize rather then help and that is not right

They didn't pay....they probably expect you to leave negative feedback. If they leave it for you, respond to it by saying they didn't pay. Buyers should not be able to bid on things and get by without a negative. I have 22 outstanding buyers this month, it's unreal. I have also gotten 2 chargebacks from Paypal this month (both to verfied addresses). Makes me think now people bid on things and then report fraud to get out of paying for them. I only have had one chargeback in 5 years and now 2 in one month.

To answer your questions:
Feedback is voluntary, you don't have to leave it but if you choose to leave the neg be prepared to get a neg in response.

I don't know of any way to see how many strikes someone has against them so I don't think that is possible, maybe it is and I just don't know of how to see it.

Some eBay boards are very critical, I frequent the Children's Clothing Boutique board and the posters there are friendly & helpful, IMO! :) Other boards I would never venture onto! :(

I know feedback is not a thing you have to do, but I would like for others to know that I did not receive payment from this person. I guess if I do leave a neg - they can neg me back, is that correct?

You are not required to ever leave feedback. I always leave negative feedback in your given situation. I want other sellers to know that the person is a problem, and that is the whole point of the feedback system. I have left several negatives over the years and not one of them left me a negative in return.

Thanks for the help guys~

Now how do I word the neg fb. I have never left one so I am not real sure what to say - I want it to be effective and get my point across. Sometimes feedback makes no sense so I want to be clear.

I have already put them on my blocked bidders list - so I should not have a problem with that unless they close out this member name and create a new one! But right now I dont have any auctions going and probably wont until after Christmas.

Thanks again!

I have left negative FB in the same situation. My buyer had a 0 and ignored emails and a phone call.

Before you leave a negative, you should make 100% sure that you made every effort to contact the buyer. Did you send messages through your email address *and* through eBay? Sometimes people's email blocks certain email addresses, especially from places like hotmail, yahoo, excite and aol. If you sent emails through eBay itself, then they cannot say that you never contacted them.

If you leave a negative it may do nothing but backfire on you. Unfortunately, your buyer will just "throw away" the account and start a new one so it really won't hurt him/her. Plus, s/he may leave you a negative in return.

Kristin - When leaving neg. feedback I just state the facts: "Buyer did not pay or contact me after xx days". I've seen sellers get personal with name calling, etc.., but I just don't think that's professional and doesn't reflect well, on you, as a seller. Strictly stating the facts of the transaction should communicate your experience with the buyer well enough.

Hope that helps and good luck :earsgirl:

cami89 said:
Kristin - When leaving neg. feedback I just state the facts: "Buyer did not pay or contact me after xx days". I've seen sellers get personal with name calling, etc.., but I just don't think that's professional and doesn't reflect well, on you, as a seller. Strictly stating the facts of the transaction should communicate your experience with the buyer well enough.

Hope that helps and good luck :earsgirl:

Yep - stick with just the facts. "Cancelled transaction because of nonpayment and no responses to (insert number of emails) X emails."

I believe that under rules that recently went into place if you have initiated and gone through eBay's dispute procedure and the other person did not respond, any feedback that they leave will not be counted in your rating.

I try to always leave neg feedback on my nonpayers. I never resort to name calling etc. Just state the fact. I usually say something to the effect of "NPB. No Contact. No Payment." Or whatever fits your situation.

If they leave relatory negs reply to it again with only the fact. "No Payment. No Contact"

Cheshire Figment said:
I believe that under rules that recently went into place if you have initiated and gone through eBay's dispute procedure and the other person did not respond, any feedback that they leave will not be counted in your rating.
I thought in the new rules, that was only for newbies..so your feedback isn't affected by a new ebayer. But I'm not positive.

That said, my really unpopular view is different than most. I do not leave a neg for a newbie (and seldom for an oldie). I don't care for eBay's feedback system, where a non payer gets to smash me with a negative. I think it's very important to get your fees back and leave that strike, but I don't think a neg on a newbie matters..they'll just go and get a new name, and we're stuck with a neg. I figure once they don't pay three times, they'll get suspended..that will have to do. As for leaving it for oldies..same thing, if they get the third strike, they're out. I think the strikes are very important, I think many don't pay attention to feedback before buying (maybe they do once a buy has soured and they go back to look). Yep, unpopular with the Dis sellers, but privately, I've heard from many that agree..they just don't want to put it in words and get flamed, for not helping out their fellow ebayers and letting them know the bad guys. I'm selfish, and I know it. Sorry...and I'm ducking. :confused3

DMRick said:
I thought in the new rules, that was only for newbies..so your feedback isn't affected by a new ebayer. But I'm not positive.

That said, my really unpopular view is different than most. I do not leave a neg for a newbie (and seldom for an oldie). I don't care for eBay's feedback system, where a non payer gets to smash me with a negative. I think it's very important to get your fees back and leave that strike, but I don't think a neg on a newbie matters..they'll just go and get a new name, and we're stuck with a neg. I figure once they don't pay three times, they'll get suspended..that will have to do. As for leaving it for oldies..same thing, if they get the third strike, they're out. I think the strikes are very important, I think many don't pay attention to feedback before buying (maybe they do once a buy has soured and they go back to look). Yep, unpopular with the Dis sellers, but privately, I've heard from many that agree..they just don't want to put it in words and get flamed, for not helping out their fellow ebayers and letting them know the bad guys. I'm selfish, and I know it. Sorry...and I'm ducking. :confused3

This was just announced on Ebay regarding feedback on unpaid item disputes:

"Beginning today, we will automatically remove feedback ratings left by buyers who do not respond to the Unpaid Item process on eBay. This means the rating (whether positive, neutral or negative) will no longer affect the recipient's feedback score, although the feedback comment itself will remain. An administrative note from eBay will be added to the comment, indicating that the feedback rating was removed because the member did not participate in the Unpaid Item process on eBay. This is a global change and will affect all eBay sites.

The new policy only applies to unpaid item claims filed on or after Monday, December 5th (except for those that were filed on or after December 5th and were closed before the change was fully implemented on December 8th). Eligibility is based on the Unpaid Item filing date, not when the feedback was left."

So if you filed your claim on or after Dec. 5 this year (Monday?) any feeedback, positive or negative, they leave you about this transaction/item # will not count on your score. The comment will be there which you can respond to anyway. Hope that reassures you - you should leave a neg for sure.

Chereya :)

Also it alway holds up your case when you leave feedback 1st stating the facts only.

Chereya said:
This was just announced on Ebay regarding feedback on unpaid item disputes:

"Beginning today, we will automatically remove feedback ratings left by buyers who do not respond to the Unpaid Item process on eBay. This means the rating (whether positive, neutral or negative) will no longer affect the recipient's feedback score, although the feedback comment itself will remain. An administrative note from eBay will be added to the comment, indicating that the feedback rating was removed because the member did not participate in the Unpaid Item process on eBay. This is a global change and will affect all eBay sites.

The new policy only applies to unpaid item claims filed on or after Monday, December 5th (except for those that were filed on or after December 5th and were closed before the change was fully implemented on December 8th). Eligibility is based on the Unpaid Item filing date, not when the feedback was left."

So if you filed your claim on or after Dec. 5 this year (Monday?) any feeedback, positive or negative, they leave you about this transaction/item # will not count on your score. The comment will be there which you can respond to anyway. Hope that reassures you - you should leave a neg for sure.

Chereya :)

Oh, thank you for posting that! THat was really helpful! I've been on Ebay for 5 years and most of the time I feel like I don't know what I'm doing! I worry endlessly about my feedback (all good, so far, but I've had trouble with unconfirmed addresses and newbies in the last week). You're right about the ebay boards being pretty harsh, and I've got some tough skin when it comes to being a hard *ss on boards.

I'm glad to see that Ebay is taking some steps to protect their sellers. Now if Paypal will follow through with requiring confirmed and verified buyers, it would be even better...

I saw they had an announcement, but I hadn't read it yet. Of course the comment will still be there, but at least non payers won't be affecting your score..if they don't particpate. Some will participate of course and still leave a neg, (that mean that the neg you left for a non payer won't affect them either..hmmm?) but this will be helpful for those who hit and run.

I just read on another board, someone went to a "class" on the new feedback, and they said that both negs will be seen..it just won't affect the score and there will be a remar, like the mutual removal remarks. She also said, that all the neg person has to do, is respond saying they will pay, and the neg stays, even if they don't pay. So it's not as good as I first thought, if this is true.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter