Eating lunch: before or after gym?

Darsa

<font color=deeppink>Has an active imagination<br>
Wondering, since my gym time during the week usually consists of about 35 minutes during my lunch break, is it better to eat lunch first THEN exercise, or exercise first THEN eat? :confused3

There isn't really a right or wrong answer, it depends on which makes you feel better. I normally bring a protein shake to the gym for afterwords but I hit the gym on the way home so I have already had lunch.

I would recommend eating first for a week and then after for a week and see which feels better. It might be that eating before makes you feel too full in the gym but eating after might mean you don't feel like you have the energy for the gym.

It might make sense to have a shake or meal bar before and then your full lunch after if eating the full meal before makes you feel too full but eating nothing makes you feel like you have no energy.

It really depends on what you're eating and what type of exercise you are doing. I usually eat 45 minutes or so before I workout, then I have a protein shake immediately after, and then I have another meal about an hour after my workout.

I think it also depends on how your body handles food. For me, i have to have a FULL hour after eating before working out or I cramp, where as my husband can be fine after 30-45 minutes. so test it out and see what works for you

I digest food really slowly so I have to wait at least 3 hours before exercising after a meal, so I always workout first. Usually I've have half of a protein bar about 30 mins before I go and then eat a larger meal afterwards.

My recommendation is to split the difference. If you can bring like a granola bar or something like a piece of fruit that you can eat beforehand you will most likely have a more productive workout than if you went starving. However the bulk of your meal should be eaten after the workout, this way your body isnt diverting energy to digesting the food. In addition you're metabolism stays elevated for about an hour or so after the workout so thats the best window to consume the food.

on my running days, I have something like a piece of multi-grain toast before my run - and then a protein shake/or cottage cheese after

like mentioned above - it really depends on how your body reacts - and how long it's been since you've eaten anything prior to the workout

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter