Eating Lobster on the Dining Plan

jrogalny

jenn
I've seen several posts that lobster is no longer available on the dining plan. I just talked with Disney and the representative said that it states that the dining plan does not allow lobster. Now she said, it's up to the restaurant if they will allow a customer to order the lobster on the Dining Plan but the policy, which is what "Disney" has to adhere to, states that no lobster should be available on the Dining Plan.

Disney created the plan. Disney owns the plan. Disney administers the plan. Disney sets the policy. So, let's see... The policy Disney sets supposedly states that lobster should not be available on the plan so lobster is not available on the plan...

The CM needs a course in Logic. Narcoosee's has stated - granted, on the telephone - that lobster IS included on the Disney Dining Plan. If Captain Jack's still has lobster on the menu, it too is available on the DDP. No other location that participates in the Dining Plan has lobster on the menu, so lobster is not available on the DDP (or off the DDP) at those other locations. Other locations which DO sell lobster, do not participate in the Disney Dining Plan.

Clear as mud? :teeth:

Well I sure hope that Narcossee's does allow lobster since thats the main reason I got an ADR there. If they don't allow lobster on the DDP, I may try to book somewhere else.

I don't think I have ever seen, anywhere, in all the Disney literature I have read, that any certain type of food is excluded unilaterally from the dining plan. Teppanyaki excluded lobster but Teppanyaki is gone now. I hate the search function and am not going to look, but there is something around here about Captain Jack's either excluding the lobster tail this year or not allowing it as a cash addon or something.

Narcoosee's apparently still offers lobster (2 credits).

Nobody else serves the stuff unless it's in soup.

We just figured the lobster would be a nice change from all the red meat we are likely to have the rest of the week. Or my DH and DD any way. I don't have an issue using the 2 credits for this purpose.

Of course - as menus change, and the call center CM's are probably the last to know, lobster may or may not be on the menu when you dine. If its not on the menu, you aren't going to be able to order it.

Of course - as menus change, and the call center CM's are probably the last to know, lobster may or may not be on the menu when you dine. If its not on the menu, you aren't going to be able to order it.

Your right Disney is known for dumbing back thier menus which would ruin the 2008 meal plan :scared1:

Just had the surf and turf at Narcoossee's, on the dining plan, on Monday. It was most excellent. No menu restrictions...we could have ordered the Maine Lobster if we wanted it.

But in this case, it was the Call Center that said "no" and Narcoosee's that said "yes". I'd tend to trust the restaurant itself (well, its staff, since we all know restaurants can't speak).

True katieeldr but even then there is no guarantee taht when the guest shows up in a few day, weeks, etc that lobster is on the menu.

To mickey, I'm not sure if its really a case of dumbing down so much - through out the late 80's and 90's lobster was repeatedly available or not available for all diners or sometimes excluded from disney meal plans. I wouldn't really call it dumbing down since they did it long before the DDP.

True katieeldr but even then there is no guarantee taht when the guest shows up in a few day, weeks, etc that lobster is on the menu.

To mickey, I'm not sure if its really a case of dumbing down so much - through out the late 80's and 90's lobster was repeatedly available or not available for all diners or sometimes excluded from disney meal plans. I wouldn't really call it dumbing down since they did it long before the DDP.

Disney is known for "dumbing down" it's part of their corporate business plan. It applies to all areas of the business not just food. Prior to the DDP, lobster was limited due to profit margin. Since the DDP, at 2 TCs Narcoossee's is covering their cost. Captn Jacks still has it because it's their number one seller. A CM who has worked there for 9 years told us that 90% of their meals are the twin lobster tails. She also mentioned that prior to the DDP there were rumors of the restaurant closing due to poor sales.

Another thing that would be interesting to find out about CJ's is if sales for other things are helping to cover the cost of the sales of tails within thier own restaurant. $6-$10 drinks pop to mind. If the restaurant had empty tables before, they wouldn't have been selling those either.

Another thing that would be interesting to find out about CJ's is if sales for other things are helping to cover the cost of the sales of tails within thier own restaurant. $6-$10 drinks pop to mind. If the restaurant had empty tables before, they wouldn't have been selling those either.

I'm sure that they are not loosing money now. CJ's is owned by Disney. The last time we were there it seemed like every table had at least one person eating the lobster. Of course some people don't order the lobster. That's where the DDP makes even more money for Disney. Lets not forget the not used DDP credits. They expire for a reason. At the volume of food Disney buys, everything is dirt cheep. The reason most of the menus look alike is because Disney buys most of the food pre-prepared. They used to make their own in a central kitchen but it became cheaper to out source.

We had Lobster at the Coaral Reef in 2005 but it was 2 TS credits then. I can understand it not being allowed at 1TS but I think if you are using 2 TS credits you should be able to order anything you want to off of the menu.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter