Eastern - Do you need to do Excursions?

amtmommy

Mouseketeer
We just got the pamphet about the excursions from Disney. My question is do you have to book any excursions.
We are not one's to rent cars on our own and take off.
But can you get off the ship and entertain your self?
Also how long are you at the different ports?
Thanks

Absolutely you can do it on your own. I'm not brave enough to drive around the islands (the drivers are maniacs!), but lots of people do it. You can take a tour of any of the islands by getting a cab at the tourist info desks right off the docks.

You are on each island for the better part of a full day. At St. Maarten, there is a beach (clothing required) within walking distance of the dock. There is also the downtown shopping area of the Dutch side within a 10 minute walk. A taxi will take you anywhere that a DCL excursion will....usually for less $.

On St. Thomas, if you tender, you are downtown. If you dock, you are at a small shopping area. There are no beaches within walking distance of either, but cabs are easy as are island tours. With 3-9 year olds, consider going to Coral World (a hands on aquarium sort of place). There are hiking trails, you can touch a nurse shark and other sea creatures...an underwater viewing area and a traditional aquarium...gift shop and snack bar. In addition, there is a nice family beach at the same location--right across the road which is really more like a large parking lot. On the DCL excursion, you'll have about 2 hours. On your own, you can spend all day. Stop at the tourist desk and pick up a discount admission coupon. The beach was free (I think), but you'll need to take towels from the ship.

We just returned from our 2nd Eastern cruise and have never done an excursion. First time at St. Maarten just rented a car spur of the moment, there are several right where the ship docks, and drove around to Orient Bay. Last week, we just took the water taxi over to Great Beach I think it's called which is the beach you are looking at from the ship. It was better than any other beach with the exception of Castaway Cay of course ;)

It is much cheaper to do your own thing and as Kathryn pointed out, you get to spend a lot more time doing it.

Have a terrific time whatever you decide to do :wave2:

Regardin the beach that is in walking distance from the pier at St. Martin (is it Great Bay beach I think?), does it have chairs available for rent at all?? How crowded does that beach get, and is it a fairly nice beach??

Thanks,
Linda

Great Bay beach is very nice, it is the port, but the have done a new boardwalk that runs along the beach, I will check it out in April!!! Alot of the restaurants and bars rent chairs for the day, a favorite of mine is Antiones, they serve a great french meal, if you go, have the desert souffle, its mouthwatering!!! They will make up pasta for the kids to eat also if they don't want a fancy meal. Here is their website!

Antiones - click on Beach Bar!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter