• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Early September dining question

yooperfamily

Mouseketeer
We are going Sept 5th-10th. We went w/ free dining. (Me, hubby, kids ages 8, 3, & 10months). I only made ADRs for 3 meals - we are going to take a "break" day on the 7th - maybe resort hop, just stay @ our resort, maybe DTD.... not sure yet. And I left the 9th open so far for "kids choice" - let them decide what park we'll visit that day.

So far this is the plan:

Sunday we fly in @ 145pm - didn't want ADR in case of flight delay, don't want to rush, etc. We'll hit MK this day and do a quick service meal, maybe Cosmic Rays!

Monday we'll do HS - lunch @ pizza planet dinner ADR @ 50's prime time!

Tuesday break day

Wednsday Epcot - ADR for lunch @ the princess place (starts w/ an A, name can't remember right now). For dinner we'll do a QS.

Thursday - no plans. This is a surprise trip for kids, so we'll let them decide the night before on what park to do. We aren't AK fans, so we don't plan on visiting that park at all.

Friday - ADR @ 810am @ Crystal Palace. We fly out @ 3:30pm, so we'll do MK for a few hours in the morning!

Anyway - my real question is.... I just don't want to make ADRs for every meal, I don't want to be "held" down to the we have to be @ such and such place @ such and such time... I think we'll just eat @ the resort (Shutters restaurant) on the break day - I originally had ADRs, but canceled them because really who knows where we'll be & when.... am I crazy to "wing it" for 2 meals during free dining??

The last time we went was in 2006, just before Christmas & my trips before that were when I was a kid! So I'm not an expert (yet, lol)... Help, thanks!

Michelle

I'll have to say that I think you'll be sorry not to have reservations. I have been to Disney 3 times during free dining, and there really are very few options for table service meals without a reservation or as a walk up. There is no harm in making a reservation that you don't end up using. Just be courteous and make a quick call to Disney dining and cancel if it looks like you would be unable to make the reservation that day.

I know from experience that some days of vacation, I would change my mind on where I wanted to eat based on changes in schedule, ect. A call to Dining in the a.m., or visiting the hotel concierge worked really well for changes. For my family, the dining experiences were some of the most treasured parts of our trips. Maybe because we are a family that rarely eats out in sit down restaurants due to costs. Each free dining year, we have received about $1,000 in free food!! :goodvibes

Personally, I would never "wing it" during free dining. Yes, there is a chance that you may get lucky and be able to get a walk up or same day by calling.....but there's also a chance that you may no get lucky.

Add to that, you are traveling with young children. Walk ups are much easier to come by during off hours. Are you really willing to wait until 8pm to eat dinner??

I wholeheartedly agree with the pp's - you need to make adrs during free dining. This will be our 4th straight year going in Sept during FD - the parks are not crowded, but the restaurants are. If you don't have adrs then it is very likely:
1. You will be turned away & be forced to eat counterservice instead
2. You can get into a restaurant, but it will be a long wait and probably won't be the restaurant of your preferred choice
3. You will waste alot of time & energy trying to find any restaurant with availability

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter