Early June: tell me your experience

MainMom

DIS Veteran
Travel party :
12 people who stick together
June 9-14
Experienced WDW visitors
Rope droppers

I have my plan and ADR’s. The last time we did our big family trip was 4 years ago in July and I found it extremely easy to navigate around. We did much more than I expected. I keep reading summer is lower crowds now compared to the rest of the year. How was your experience in June last summer?

Was not there last June, but have been in the past. First, you guys are already sitting pretty because you are experienced...... and rope droppers.
Having a touring plan and FP's will make the days pretty easy for you. Early June is somewhat busy, but not all schools are out by then. Carefully pick your park each day based on crowd predictions if possible.

You will have a very manageable time from rope drop until early afternoon. Parks will fill by then, but you will have done most of your rides and attractions.

If you were there in July, you already know about the blazing heat and the afternoon thunderstorms.

Enjoy your trip!

We were there June 2-9 last year. On our last day, it seemed like the floodgates had opened and a ton of visitors had arrived overnight.

That being said, you can get a lot done by refreshing for additional FPs throughout the day. I don’t think there was anything that we didn’t do as many times as we wanted.

One thing we won’t do though is rope drop. Much too crowded and stressful for us and an inefficient use of our time.

We were there this past June. Not as empty as January, but we were definitely able to still get a lot of things done between prebooking our FPs, refreshing for more, and hopping to other parks to tale advantage of any extra magic hours. You guys are experienced park goers, you'll be fine.

I’m not sure how refreshing for 12 people will go or even trying to break it down into smaller groups and coordinate times. I didn’t do that last trip and the idea of it seems overwhelming to me. (I have done it with 4.)

I’m not sure how refreshing for 12 people will go or even trying to break it down into smaller groups and coordinate times. I didn’t do that last trip and the idea of it seems overwhelming to me. (I have done it with 4.)

I get that. We only had to refresh for 5. We did find that refreshing for the whole group was much easier than trying to split it up. That didn’t seem to add much value.

We went in June last year, although later than originally planned due to FIL having a bad accident. We are only a party of 4, there is no way I'd stay sane trying to keep a group of 12 together. We were able to use a lot more than 3 FP every day. It was busy but not horrible. We waited 35 minutes for FEA during a bad storm one evening and decided we don't ever need to ride that again. We tried getting in line for FoP close to the end of our all 4 parks in 1 day day, and we got to ride but we waited 2 hours because a couple of the linking rooms were down. It rained some, which is typical for June.

We went June 1-6th last year...party of three. Did rope drop, mid afternoon break, sit down dinner and night time shows.
Parks felt busy especially animal kingdom but with an early start and a good touring plan we had a great time and got in a lot of rides.
We were able to get and use multiple fast passes throughout the day in all the parks. It was really hot this year... real feel on our Epcot day was 105 degrees so we called it an afternoon and took a nap in the air conditioning.
Did the magic kingdom dessert party so we did not have to be crammed into the hot sweaty mass of people in the hub... got to relax with desserts and coffee and had a fantastic uncrowded view of the castle fireworks.

Fortunately my (extended) family agrees with my rope drop/afternoon break/hop to new park strategy. I get their basic input (must do rides and restaurants) make the plan and then they usually say, looks great! We also agree ahead of time that if someone wants to sleep in (we have teenagers now) that’s fine. If a group wants to go on their own, fine (again, teenagers.) My Mom skips a few night time activities because she can only handle so much togetherness and we would rather have her recharge and be ready to go the next day in a good mood. ;)

We are doing the MK dessert party. We are also doing HDD one night which only my family of 4 has seen. The teenagers want to try to close down MK EMH so we are attempting that as well with a sleeping in/pool day the next day.

I think I have a good plan. I just always over analyze like every trip.:rolleyes1

We went June 2-12 2017. We found with a good plan through lunch and going where the fastpass took us after that, we never waited more than 20 minutes, usually under 15. It did rain most every day from noon-7pm. We’d read about PM showers, but this was pouring rain for many hours. Our flight home was delayed 3 hours because of rain. But, the day it didn’t rain we were brutally hot (for these Phoenicians) and missed the rain! But, we’d totally go again. FWIW, monitoring the app, lines were shorter the third and fourth week of June, which surprised us.

Fortunately my (extended) family agrees with my rope drop/afternoon break/hop to new park strategy.

This is our strategy, esp in summer. I think all your stuff sounds great. I combine rope drop with FP refresh and park hopping every trip now, sometimes our break is going to the monorail hotels and eating, or hanging out. We are probably going around the same time as you plan to this year, and I'm betting it's a lot like the week after July 4th as far as crowds and such goes (which have been great the last few years).

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Wasn't there last year, but was there early June of 2017. It was right after Pandora opening and other than that, crowds were manageable.

I had 7 of us, similar group, early June 2018 and I was surprised how sweaty I got. I’ve been at all different times but I really felt like showering midday, and did when I could. We had a little frustration with a monorail down and the boats down, and got very hot waiting/walking to alternate transportation. My middle child got heat-sick and vomited.

But we are going back for 1 day this July and planning to stay hydrated! The cooler towels may also help. I used one and it was only so helpful, but will bring it again.

We did split up for different activities (shows vs rides, etc).

ETA: re-read and realizing you weren’t asking about weather so much as crowds, but honestly it seemed equally as crowded as other trips at other times. The heat was the main factor I noticed as making a difference to us.

Great time to go. Weather is not as hot and intense as July and Aug and Sept. Crowds are good, many northern and mid-western schools still in session.

I believe June is the wettest month, but don’t let that discourage you. We went the first week of June in 2017. The crowds were doable, and when it rained heavily, the crowds cleared. You should be prepared for the rain, possibly take afternoon breaks, when it’s most likely to rain.

We went June 2-12 2017. We found with a good plan through lunch and going where the fastpass took us after that, we never waited more than 20 minutes, usually under 15. It did rain most every day from noon-7pm. We’d read about PM showers, but this was pouring rain for many hours. Our flight home was delayed 3 hours because of rain. But, the day it didn’t rain we were brutally hot (for these Phoenicians) and missed the rain! But, we’d totally go again. FWIW, monitoring the app, lines were shorter the third and fourth week of June, which surprised us.

I believe June is the wettest month, but don’t let that discourage you. We went the first week of June in 2017. The crowds were doable, and when it rained heavily, the crowds cleared. You should be prepared for the rain, possibly take afternoon breaks, when it’s most likely to rain.
I did not realize June was the wettest month to go. We went in mid October and had barely any rain but it was extremely hot. When we go back next time we will most likely go in the summer, either the end of June or sometime in July. So I guess it will most likely rain alot then?

That's a good time. Not all schools are out yet. Though I think many local schools started early this school year and get out early.

Keep hydrated!

We were a group of 11 there June 3 through 10, 2018. Experienced, dedicated rope droppers but abandoned this after getting up very early and getting very little accomplished in the first hour after rope drop for the first few days. Shifted gears and just arrived to start with first FP time and the new game plan was refresh which worked fine for any second tier ride.
We often go in November and February and June felt much busier than either of these times. That being said, we still had a great time.

going June 2-8 -- Here is my hope - that since there is currently no free QS offer (Summer Meal Deal) and the Free Dining starts in July -- That some people will move their June trip to July to take advantage of the offer (( sorry July'ers )) pirate:

I’ll hope for this too! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter