• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DxDDP during Free Dining?

swooshfan2

Earning My Ears
I used the basic dining plan for the first time last December and was a big fan as it gave me a chance to try some table service restaurants I had never experienced in the past (including a last minute pickup of someone else's Le Cellier cancellation). My girlfriend and I are going to going during the last week of September during free dining, and we are considering upgrading to the deluxe plan, as we are planning on doing a lot of the signature meals (Hollywood Brown Derby, Artist Point, Yachtsman Steakhouse, and Narcoosees are all hopefully on the agenda), along with places like Tutto Italia and Le Cellier. My question isn't whether it will make sense pricewise or if we will be able to eat all the food (we don't mind leaving food on the table if we are full, we never have a chance to eat real meals at home)...my question is how hard ADRs are going to be to get during free dining, in particular at the signature dining restaurants?

I used the basic dining plan for the first time last December and was a big fan as it gave me a chance to try some table service restaurants I had never experienced in the past (including a last minute pickup of someone else's Le Cellier cancellation). My girlfriend and I are going to going during the last week of September during free dining, and we are considering upgrading to the deluxe plan, as we are planning on doing a lot of the signature meals (Hollywood Brown Derby, Artist Point, Yachtsman Steakhouse, and Narcoosees are all hopefully on the agenda), along with places like Tutto Italia and Le Cellier. My question isn't whether it will make sense pricewise or if we will be able to eat all the food (we don't mind leaving food on the table if we are full, we never have a chance to eat real meals at home)...my question is how hard ADRs are going to be to get during free dining, in particular at the signature dining restaurants?

I'm going towards the end of the free dining plan and decided to upgrade to the deluxe plan. It's $288 for me to upgrade, but after calculating where I would eat (several signature places) and what I would order, it adds up to well over $1,100. Subtract that from the $288 and I will get getting over $800 in free food. So for me, it's totally worth the extra $$.

As far as ADR's, I think I would make reservations for the signature restaurants ahead of time (maybe at your 90 day mark). This way you know you have them. Depending on the day, you should be ok.

We did Deluxe for the same reasons last time too. We didn't have too much trouble getting into 2 credit places. I don't want to generalize but I have noticed most people do the free basic dining and don't want to burn through two credits at one shot. You can run out pretty quickly if you do.

We did Deluxe for the same reasons last time too. We didn't have too much trouble getting into 2 credit places. I don't want to generalize but I have noticed most people do the free basic dining and don't want to burn through two credits at one shot. You can run out pretty quickly if you do.

I was thinking the same thing! It kind of wastes free dining if you can only eat TS for half the days you are there.

The signatures are generally easier to reserve, with the possible exception of California Grill. Many dining plan users prefer not to spend 2 credits for 1 meal.

That said...all ADRs are probably harder to get during free dining. You might get signatures if you call less than 90 days from your stay but I wouldn't recommend trying to walk up or get same day reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter