• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVDs in other DVC resorts?

akghutton

DIS Veteran
We received the BVC announcement yesterday and noticed that the rooms will have DVD players. Does anyone know if they are planning to add DVD players to the other DVC resorts? It would be a lot easier than bringing VHS tapes.

I would hope that DVC would consider this as an option when they start to replace the VCR's - that is, the VCR's and TV's are on a replacement schedule of some sort (just like the carpet and furniture), so I'd hope that DVD players would start to appear.

However, it's likely to be a transitional thing; OKW for example has a rather large selection of VHS tapes for use, I wouldn't expect those to be instantly replaced, only over time.

On the other hand, since I read somewhere that the owners at OKW are older and hence resistant to change and new things, DVD players might be too frightening for some of us - I mean my rental store keeps charging me for rewind fee's when I bring a DVD back and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get the thing to rewind :p

Too funny!;)
You are probably right, that if they do start replacing the VCRs with DVDs, it will be a slow transition. We are going to be at the BWV and VWL at the end of August. I am hoping that they have switched over in those resorts by then, as we will be bringing a couple of DVDs for my son on the plane ride. It would be nice to leave all of the VHS tapes at home.

This may be the new standard. I know that our guide said that the Beach Club Villas would have DVD players. It would be wonderful if they changed them all over.

I really wouldn't count on any of the other resorts having DVD players by August.

If (and it's a big if) DVC does start doing this at other resorts, I'm sure it won't happen until the existing VCR's come up on the regular replacement schedule. And this assumes that VCR's are scheduled for regular replacement - they might not be, they might only be replaced "as needed."

If they are only replaced as needed, I can't see them changing out to DVD players anytime soon.

BCV is a different animal though, because DVD players are just as cheap to purchase as VHS players, so there's no reason for them not to go with the new standard.

Are the dvd players only going to be in 1-bedroom and above (as in the other properties) or are they putting them in BCV studios, too?

According to Disney's Site, Here , there aren't DVDs in the studios, just in the living room of the 1 and 2 BRs.

I would hope that they could replace the older VCRs with combination DVD/VCP (video cassette players). That way we could still use the tapes and have access to DVD. :smooth:

Nancy,

GREAT POINT!! I am a big fan of video technology, and have had a DVD player for several years already. I was hesitant at first as I was still in LaserDisc (better than VHS and got the extras like commentaries and making of features, but the size of Records - 12 inches) Once Laserdisc were not available as easily as they used to be I gave in and bought a DVD player.

So what all this leads to is that although DVD players in all the resorts I would love! I know from working retail selling VHS, LaserDiscs and got out shortly after DVD hit the marketplace. I know how it is though to get many people to adopt new technologies quickly.

So I am sure there are MANY people who don't own DVD players, yet. And even those that do, still have large VHS collections (I know I do)

Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter