DVC vs. Marriot Vacation Club

I've never owned Marriott, but it is one of the good timeshares you can buy for $1 on eBay.

Marriott is in the process of a conversion from fixed-week to points and many of their owners are upset and selling. That's good for you as a buyer because it means a lot of inventory on the market and low prices.

I would research both timeshares thoroughly before making any purchase decision. In your research, don't ignore maintenance fees because that's really the biggest expense of ownership. This site is a great place to research DVC (although we're all obviously biased in favor of DVC...and you should factor that in). TUG is a great resource for timeshares generally and they have a separate forum for Marriott.

We own both. DVC (BWV and BCV) and MVC at frenchmans cove in st thomas. We would only buy DVC in Orlando. Love the on property experience. Our unit in st thomas is much nicer in layout and furnishings. Love them both but differently.

if you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.:cutie:

marriott is probably slightly higher quality with more locations. (i don't own a marriott but i have stayed at 3 - vegas, hilton head and st kitts.)

marriott has started a points program (poor idea IMO) and is spinning off their timeshare division so that creates a little uncertainty. i don't expect major changes to result (as the new CEO is the same guy who was the division president under marriott corp) but you never know.

most marriott resales are deeded and never expire (not sure about the points program.)

while you can buy a marriott for $1 on ebay, i would be careful and investigate whether you might need a better season for personal use or trading purposes...and platinum season marriotts still go for thousands of dollars.

DVC is unique for the onsite wdw experience. marriott doesn't have any locations where you can walk to the MK or see giraffes outside your balcony...

DVC is changing also - new limitations on resales and a stated willingness to conform to typical timeshare strategies, so lay off the pixie dust and go in with your eyes open.

DVC contracts expire from 2042 to 2060 depending on what resort you purchase an interest in.

both have relatively high annual dues/maintenance fees. both can provide quality vacations with extra space depending on how you prefer to vacation...

TUG is probably the ideal place to investigate the marriott program further.

I own two timeshares, DVC and at the Westin St. John. Our Westin is a fixed week timeshare, not points. I did consider buying a Marriott timeshare on resale about 2 years ago, but didn't due to the conversion to points process. It was not very advantageous to buy resale as Marriott, like Westin(Starwood) place limitations on resales. I forget exactly what the limitations placed by Marriott were, but they weren't very good. This is why I was confused as to why everyone was up in arms when DVC started the restrictions from resales, as other timeshare companies have been doing it for awhile.

I own both DVC OKW and two Marriotts (Manor Club in Williamsburg, VA and Ko Olina in Oahu, HI). I really like both Marriotts. I frequent the one in Williamsburg because I live within 3 hours of there, plus I love the area, which is why we bought there. I got the Ko Olina resale. It is only an Every Other Year (even years) which is good for me because I couldn't afford to go to Hawaii every year. Plus I enrolled it in the points program to both legitimize the resale with Marriott and enable me to use it at other Marriott points destinations when I want to do so without going through II.

The quality of the Marriotts are excellent. The Manor Club was recently refurbished and the Ko Olina is relatively new. I wouldn't trade either one of them for Orlando since I have DVC. I am happy with both DVC and the Marriotts.

I own both DVC (SSR) and Marriott (Ko Olina) and also Worldmark. I love all 3 for different reasons. Marriotts are the most spacious, have a high standard of quality, and have many great locations. Disney is on site, magical :lovestruc, and even their offsite locations are top notch (Aulani looks as if it will be awesome). DVC is high quality too of course.

Worldmark is a real bargain as it is a points system, maintenance fees are low :banana:, and the resorts are always well kept. They don't always have as nice of grounds and furnishings as DVC and Marriott, meaning they are pretty and clean, but don't always have a big feature pool, counter service restaurant, etc. Marriott and DVC are destination resorts - you could just stay there and don't need anything else, whereas with Worldmark we usually use it as a nice place to sleep and we go off and sight see during the day.

I would say I love DVC the most, Marriott second, and Worldmark third, but all 3 have their positives. Ko Olina is my favorite place outside of WDW so I am now lucky to have 2 resorts there that I can use.

We used to. We gave ours away. Too many changes with Marriott in the last year for me. Since we travel off season, we can still stay at Marriott by renting quite reasonably. I'm more comfortable with renting their product since they are spinning off their timeshare business.

We own at VGC and at Marriott.

We have 1 week + 1 EOY week at Marriott Mountainside and :love: it since we use the full 2 bedroom every year at that resort. We don't trade, though it would have a good value since we bought it to use to ski at and we love the slope-side location. For us the MF's are well below what we'd pay to stay in even a hotel room in a comparable location/season, the units are lovely, well kept up, service is great. Just like DVC you have to book as soon as your booking window is open if you want a the prime location/times.

Many of the mantras are the same: buy where you want to stay, occasional trade-outs not a bad idea. Fees do start to stack up a bit if you trade. The points system we saw a presentation on when we were there for an extra trip last month I didn't care for since it doesn't have a Home Resort Priority Booking and the points they gave you in exchange for the week wasn't enough to get us the week we already owned so we declined to convert our ownership. If they figure out how to balance the points better at unwanted vs wanted seasons I think we might consider buying some points ... right now they were charging the same amount of points for a week in June as a week in December/January at our ski resort. What the heck? (And we also use the getaway feature and love going there in the summer but would never pay ski prices to do so).

If you do want to look at purchasing points it a new system so I'd wait a bit. If we had the extra cash/more vacation time I'd think about picking up another week resale right now at Tahoe perhaps, but as far as points go I think DVC has a better/easier to use product. Just IMHO, take it FWIW. Enough abbreviations for you yet? ;)

I own DVC, several Marriott weeks (now enrolled in points) and Bluegreen points. Each is great in their own way and each horrible at times as well. DVC ONLY makes sense for DVC resort stays. Marriott makes sense (in general) for Marriott stays, Marriott exchanges and easy general exchanges. Marriott trades only with II (with limited exceptions. BG and Wyndham are likely better values though not the high quality consistently of DVC or Marriott. Hilton is another great points option, Starwood has seen a lot of negative press and changes lately.

As for Marriott, there are 2 ways in. One is to buy fixed weeks and the other trust points. Points are really only available for retail direct from Marriott currently. I'd steer you away from points but still be very happy to see one who knows what they're getting, buy fixed weeks. One just needs to understand the limitations, namely, no points and little access to the newest resorts. Of course if one decides to buy a Marriott floating week, there are many variables to getting what works best for a given family. What resort, what season, unit size, price, dues, lockoff options, etc.

The bottom line is once you pull the trigger, things will change and almost always in a way negative to your situation. The trick is to account for as many variables as possible and to get in as cheaply as possible so that the ultimately risk is low. Also note that RCI points, Wyndham, BG, Worldmark, Club Intrawest and others that work with RCI will give you the potential of trading in to DVC but there are certainly no guarantees that one can do this consistently.

We own both. Our Marriott weeks are a pair of EOY weeks in the Southwest and an annual week in Orlando. We did not pay the additional fees required to enroll our weeks in the new destination club points program. Since we generally stay where we purchased, enrollment would only have increased our costs.

Feel that DVC and MVCI are similar in quality - consistency of product, experience and service.

MVCI is less expensive to buy and own and has many more locations. Most weeks are owned in perpetuity.

DVC is unsurpassed at story-telling and resort themes. And DVC has on-property locations, which justifies the premium. Our contracts expire.

We own Marriotts, DVC and Starwood. Of the 3, our Starwood Maui week has the best quality and view. Our Marriotts have allowed us to explore other parts of the US. I love our Marriotts. I like going to new places. We are one of those people that go on several trips a year. Our DVC gives us great Disney vacations which we enjoy just as much.

I did join the points program with Marriott and so far I like it. I know some people don't but for us it is about flexibility and that is not something we had with the weeks system. Now, this is where DVC outshines everyone else. I love that I can start my vacation on a Tuesday and end on Monday. I love that I can go during Christmas time or any holiday I want. Where with my Marrriott Weeks and Starwood I'm locked into a weekly vacation staring usually on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday (when airfare is the most expensive). Plus, I'm locked into my season. So, one of the things about Marriott that it isn't very flexible and you have to plan ahead about year out. More owners tend to rent prime weeks out. So, you really have to get on the phone a year in advance to book popular prime weeks.

I guess, I would caution anyone buying Marriott right now. I know, they are cheap but I'm not sure if I'd want to be a week owner any more.

Good luck deciding...

If you want you can see my timeshare pictures here. I've been to Marriotts, Westins, DVCs, Worldmark, Shell and no name resorts.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ciscogizmo

Why would people give away Marriott? Is it really for $1 on eBay? What's the catch?
For most timeshares, there are more variables to value and price than simply home resort. Excluding the new trust system, most Marriott's works on the idea of selling a whole week within a season. It's a take off of the old fixed week/fixed unit system where timeshares started. True value is a mixture of the desirability of the resort, the area, season (or week), unit size and view. Esp if you look at seasonal areas, many seasons or weeks are not worth the cost of the maint fee in question. In addition, timeshare are still not main stream and many shy away from them or fail to investigate them. Thus they often sell for less than even a true market value and you may see one sell for say $1000 and a better one sell for $1. One is unlikely to pick up ocean front on HH during the summer for $1, but Branson or even Orlando is possible.

I guess, I would caution anyone buying Marriott right now. I know, they are cheap but I'm not sure if I'd want to be a week owner any more.
I did enroll though in many ways I think the week system gives a better value. The Destination points gives me more flexibility and the reduced fees including no II membership fee, no lockoff fee, no internal trading fees and the Premier Plus status should more than offset the cost of doing so with 9 weeks. To be honest, I think one looking to buy in right now is actually in the best position of all of us given how cheaply they can get in for top options.

I was looking at some of the listings and had a few questions. What are floating weeks? If the deed says week 2 or 7 is that early in the year? I'd hate to have a beach vacation in February!

What are floating weeks?

a fixed week means i own week 25 (late june) at my resort every year. it's mine unless i trade it or rent it myself.

a floating week means i have the option of trying to reserve a given week within my season if i book quickly enough.

some resorts float from week 1-52, some are seasonal. for (a bad) example, platinum season at the marriott in southern CA goes from week 23-week 51. so you might be competing with a lot of "platinum" owners for "shinier" platinum weeks in july and august, while november is a much less demanded month in so-called "platinum" season. marriott owners with multiple weeks also get a booking advantage and can call earlier - so if you only own 1 platinum week at that resort, you would almost never be able to book a summer week.

(but if you don't vacation at the same time every year, there are also advantages to floating weeks...it depends on the situation...)

If the deed says week 2 or 7 is that early in the year? I'd hate to have a beach vacation in February!

yes. you can google "timeshare calendar" to get a detailed list but generally week 1 is the first of january and so on...

that's why as dean says, a bronze week marriott at hilton head can be had for $1 on ebay - very few want to visit HHI in january and rental prices tend to be lower than the maintenance fees on such weeks. not a lot of value...

I know there's a site where non owners can see the season calendar for each resort but I'm on vacation (AK) and don't have access to my info right now. There are a couple of things to know about floating time and Marriott. First, if you only have one week, you're way behind because multi week owners can book 1 full month ahead of you. So if you're buying HH and want mid summer or Maui and want a high demand week, your odds of getting what you want are not that good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter