DVC vs CL

I think you really need to rent points, there are definitely some nice things about DVC - but you like to be pampered, and being pampered isn't on DVCs agenda. I find with young kids the washer dryer and different bedrooms outweighs the concierge lounge and maid service. But I really like hotels. I like maid service. I like being pampered. For us, it was all about not being on top of each other.
We have rented points at both Poly and Copper Creek. And I grew up with Wyndham vacations. CL is a new discovery for us, and we quite enjoyed it. But we aren’t sure if something like that would lose its appeal after a while, or if the benefits of a 1 bedroom would outweigh it. The being pampered is quite nice!

Can you explain that, please?

Its a really small resort , the only DVC resort at Disneyland, and very difficult to get with out being able to take advantage of the home resort booking window. So while owning a WDW resort and planning to stay at Aulani is reasonable, you need a backup plan if you want to visit Disneyland.

We have rented points at both Poly and Copper Creek. And I grew up with Wyndham vacations. CL is a new discovery for us, and we quite enjoyed it. But we aren’t sure if something like that would lose its appeal after a while, or if the benefits of a 1 bedroom would outweigh it. The being pampered is quite nice!

I will say that when you stay in a 1 bedroom it is hard to do a studio again!!

They are soooo nice!!!

Having stayed CL at Poly for years before I purchased DVC, I can say that I don't really miss it that much. I went back after buying DVC but before the resort had DVC and stayed CL level at least one time that I remember. I remember that in the mornings the lounge got really busy and was not restful or relaxing that last time I was there. It used to be a much better experience.

I have also enjoyed the combo of DVC room experience at AKL and the CL lounge. What I most enjoyed was the check in experience. Being met downstairs and brought up to the CL lounge and checked in while being offered a nice beverage as opposed to standing in line at the reception area was quite wonderful back before online check in and magic bands. It was fun having the key that took you to the 6th floor.

It's fairly easy to replicate most of the club experience. You can have DVC and pay extra to have your room fully cleaned daily for you and to include clean towels and sheets and having your dishes done. I think this starts at $35 for a studio and goes up to $65 for a 2 bedroom. I actually haven't checked those prices recently. So now you are just missing the chocolate on your pillow and someone pulling back the covers and asking you if you want ice and waiting for gratuity in the evening. I really don't miss turn down service so long as all the rest is in order. I used to find it slightly intrusive when I was in my room.

As far as the food choices go, order delivery or room service. Choose the food and beverage options you prefer. You can pretty much pay for whatever you want and still be less expensive than an actual suite. What you may miss is the deferential service attitude that is usually inherent in the CL experience. So, occasionally it may be nice to go back, but overall, I'm quite happy to just have DVC even if I do a few dishes occasionally. There are always paper plates, lol.

Our kids are adults now, so we're actually looking at it from the perspective of indulgent grandparents.

There are a lot of pluses that go beyond the extra space. A 2BR villa guarantees us that the kids and grandkids will be in an adjoining room. There's a full kitchen to accommodate everyone's mealtime preferences. Having a washer and dryer in the villa is priceless.

We create our own CL by ordering alcohol and appetizer platters from DizzyDolphinDelivery.com If you've never heard of them, check out their FB page. Their stuff is amazing and is head and shoulders above your average grocery delivery service.

We used to do CL prior to owning DVC and I have to say that I much prefer having DVC. The only downside is that unlike booking a Disney CL room every once in a while, DVC ownership has pigeonholed us into taking Disney vacation pretty much every year. Up until this past year, it wasn't a huge problem because we could rent our points out pretty easily. This was the first year when we didn't feel like using our banked points where renting them out was more difficult.
Do you remember the cost of those platters from Dizzy Dolphin? I checked our their facebook page and they had some neat looking ones.

Do you remember the cost of those platters from Dizzy Dolphin? I checked our their facebook page and they had some neat looking ones.
Medium Mini Cannoli Platter (25 pieces) $30
Small meat & cheese nibbles platter $42
Small fresh fruit platter $37
Small prosciutto skewers platter $26
Mini antipasto platter $23
Small wrap variety platter $42
European Specialties Gourmet Platter (mini eclairs, cannoli, etc) $34

We were a party of 10 staying in a GV + a studio. It was a lot of food but we were there for 8 nights and split the cost between 5 couples.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter