DVC Rentals and Hurricanes

PixieT78

Mouseketeer
We are considering renting points for the first time for a longer trip in Sep 2021. Being that it is hurricane season, what happens if we have to delay our arrival due to a hurricane? Do they do those kind of adjustments?

We’d have travel insurance so I’m not worried if we had to cancel completely since we’d be covered for that, just more if we need to adjust dates.

TIA!

We are considering renting points for the first time for a longer trip in Sep 2021. Being that it is hurricane season, what happens if we have to delay our arrival due to a hurricane? Do they do those kind of adjustments?

We’d have travel insurance so I’m not worried if we had to cancel completely since we’d be covered for that, just more if we need to adjust dates.

TIA!

Any adjustments made would be between you and the rental agency or private owner that you contacted to rent points through. That particular entity would have to deal with the reservation on your behalf, so you will have to get an answer from the person or company that you rent the points from.

There would be no guarantee that if you delayed the trip, that there would be rooms available for the owner to switch your nights to. Dropping nights would not be a problem, other than the owner would almost certainly not reimburse you, but picking up more nights to replace them with would probably be not possible. If you lost those nights, having insurance would be a good idea.

Good luck! If it does happen (flight delay), I would suggest contacting the rental company to let them know you'll be there late (so they can contact the owner and have it noted)...

One of the big plus to renting a DVC reservation is savings. One of the drawbacks is that there is not a lot of flexibility to change or receive a refund, regardless of the reason.

It is good you will have travel insurance. Fall is a very busy DVC time so rescheduling, even if the owner is willing to help you, might not find anything for you, especially when you are thinking about it happening as an emergency.

thanks all! We wouldn’t be adding to the reservation, just dropping any nights we couldn’t get there for. If I had to eat the cost of a couple nights, I think I’d be ok with that if they held the rest of the reservation.

I’ll contact the rental agency I plan on using and ask them too. Mostly I just want to be prepared. We’ve been lucky enough so far that two September trips have not had to be changed but I do worry that at some point our luck will change and this is a big b-day trip for hubby!

I had "guests" arriving on the day Dorian decided to hit FL. I called the rental company to see if they were altering their plans but they had not heard from them and I don't know if I could help them anyway, but was going to offer to try to rearrange their stay though there was no refund to be offered as those points are "gone" due to my use year. Apparently they arrived as I never heard another word (traveling with a baby and a toddler!) Ultimately there were many cancellations of vacations, but locals were scooping up those rooms as Disney is a great alternative for those seeking safe shelter. There is no way to know in advance and insurance can help you financially but a hurricane may squash a long thought about special trip, especially if you are flying in or even driving into a restricted area and can't get there for days after anyway. We almost always go in October/November so we have to watch too. We had one brush with a hurricane about ten years ago while staying at VB but just had a rainy/windy day...I think you have to just go with it and hope for the best - good luck!

thanks all! We wouldn’t be adding to the reservation, just dropping any nights we couldn’t get there for. If I had to eat the cost of a couple nights, I think I’d be ok with that if they held the rest of the reservation.

I’ll contact the rental agency I plan on using and ask them too. Mostly I just want to be prepared. We’ve been lucky enough so far that two September trips have not had to be changed but I do worry that at some point our luck will change and this is a big b-day trip for hubby!
If you don't check in on your check in day, your entire reservation can be cancelled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter