DVC question- Newbie

DisFan84

Mouseketeer
Hello!

We booked our honeymoon through Aulani directly for January. I've never rented DVC points, but according to DVCrequest, our trip is 700.00 cheaper if we went the route of renting points. Since I have a reservation already made, I can just cancel the one I currently have, right? Do I cancel once I have confirmation that DVC points are officially rented? I'll lose the 50.00 resort credit per night offer, but I'll take saving 700 and free parking over the credit.

Thanks in advance for any info!

they also wont clean your room or make up your bed every day just so you are aware. You can cancel whenever you want but since it is in January I would wait until you have your DVC room booked because you may not be able to get the dates you want in the room type you want with DVC this close to the date (yes January is close in DVC terms)

they also wont clean your room or make up your bed every day just so you are aware. You can cancel whenever you want but since it is in January I would wait until you have your DVC room booked because you may not be able to get the dates you want in the room type you want with DVC this close to the date (yes January is close in DVC terms)
You're right- they couldn't find anything available on our dates for what we were looking for. I never knew about DVC points, so I'll keep the timing in mind in the future.

I had a reservation then found David's rentals. I rented points from him and then cancelled my reservation. I basically got a one bedroom for the same price of just the base hotel room

I had a reservation then found David's rentals. I rented points from him and then cancelled my reservation. I basically got a one bedroom for the same price of just the base hotel room
That’s awesome! My dates are too soon so there’s nothing available :/ now that I know of the amazingness that’s DVC rental points, I’ll keep it in mind in the future.

there is a waitlist on DVC, not sure if Davids does anything like that or not. What are your dates and what type of room are you looking for? Looks like the availability is mostly just the last week of January for a ocean view studio there is 5 nights in a row available, but other than that week not much is available

there is a waitlist on DVC, not sure if Davids does anything like that or not. What are your dates and what type of room are you looking for? Looks like the availability is mostly just the last week of January for a ocean view studio there is 5 nights in a row available, but other than that week not much is available
We'll be at Aulani 01/25/19-01/31/19 and was hoping to get a standard room or studio. I received from Davids that there's a one bedroom but it's much more than our original reservation.

there is a studio ocean view available on the 26th, and then the 28th to the 31st. Not available the 25th or the 27th. I dont know how davids works but there is a potential that you could book what is available and waitlist the other two days. Keep your reservation for the two days that you can't get yet and hope the waitlist comes through. That is quite complicated but I bet the waitlist will come through if you wanted to risk it. I dont know if Davids allows that sort of thing or not

the 27th is available in a poolside garden studio...if you dont mind switching rooms you could also do that and then do the waitlist still for the 25th and 27th oceanview and keep a 1 night cash reservation just in case

there is a studio ocean view available on the 26th, and then the 28th to the 31st. Not available the 25th or the 27th. I dont know how davids works but there is a potential that you could book what is available and waitlist the other two days. Keep your reservation for the two days that you can't get yet and hope the waitlist comes through. That is quite complicated but I bet the waitlist will come through if you wanted to risk it. I dont know if Davids allows that sort of thing or not
I see. Hmmm- do you by chance know the cost of the room for the dates that it is available? I'm flexible as far as switching rooms if it'll save us some money.

I see. Hmmm- do you by chance know the cost of the room for the dates that it is available? I'm flexible as far as switching rooms if it'll save us some money.

JMHO, but if you're on your honeymoon and a 6 night stay, I'm not sure I would want to room change. Here's why: you would need to be out of your room by 11am at the latest and would not have your next room until around 4pm in most cases (speaking of DVC rooms, not hotel rooms. You MIGHT maybe have a bit more flexibility from FD if you are staying in a cash room.). That would make you "homeless" for several hours, which might not be a big deal if you have plans to be out and abut on that particular day.

My 2nd concern for you, and I am a very longtime DVC Member, is that talking about trying for a waitlist brings in other potential issues. You cannot place a w/l for a DVC points villa. ONLY the owner/DVC member can do that. I'm not sure I have heard of any rental agencies doing contracts that involved a W/L since there's no way to know if a W/L might come through, especially for a rez that is weeks away.

Not trying to be a party pooper, but in your scenario, I would go with a sure thing, whether it's renting DVC points or sticking with your current cash res. Either way, congratulations and many happy years! :sunny:

JMHO, but if you're on your honeymoon and a 6 night stay, I'm not sure I would want to room change. Here's why: you would need to be out of your room by 11am at the latest and would not have your next room until around 4pm in most cases (speaking of DVC rooms, not hotel rooms. You MIGHT maybe have a bit more flexibility from FD if you are staying in a cash room.). That would make you "homeless" for several hours, which might not be a big deal if you have plans to be out and abut on that particular day.

My 2nd concern for you, and I am a very longtime DVC Member, is that talking about trying for a waitlist brings in other potential issues. You cannot place a w/l for a DVC points villa. ONLY the owner/DVC member can do that. I'm not sure I have heard of any rental agencies doing contracts that involved a W/L since there's no way to know if a W/L might come through, especially for a rez that is weeks away.

Not trying to be a party pooper, but in your scenario, I would go with a sure thing, whether it's renting DVC points or sticking with your current cash res. Either way, congratulations and many happy years! :sunny:
Makes total sense. We'll keep our original plan in place and will definitely keep DVC points in mind for any future trip.

Dta
We'll be at Aulani 01/25/19-01/31/19 and was hoping to get a standard room or studio. I received from Davids that there's a one bedroom but it's much more than our original reservation.
DVC hotel rooms are very hard to come by as there are only 8 rooms in that category. If you want those by renting, I would suggest be ready at the 12 month mark for the dates you need. The Aulani points owner has to probably book DVC hotel room the 1st day that they come on line at the 11 month window.

DVC hotel rooms are very hard to come by as there are only 8 rooms in that category. If you want those by renting, I would suggest be ready at the 12 month mark for the dates you need. The Aulani points owner has to probably book DVC hotel room the 1st day that they come on line at the 11 month window.

Absolutely agree with this.

For sure. I’ll keep this in mind for the future. I only learned of DVC last week :)

:cutie: Of course! :sunny: There is a pretty decent learning curve for DVC and its inner workings so don't feel a bit badly. :goodvibes Heck, I know members that still don't understand a lot of the workings. :-)

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but for future reference, 7 months out is generally the time people book their DVC rentals. This is when availability opens up to any DVC owner. If you book with an Aulani owner, their availability opens at 11 months out. Its crucial to book at these times to get the room type, view, and dates you want, especially if you're traveling during a busier time.

And FWIW, companies like David's are point brokers. They have the widest selection of point options for people, but do charge slightly more per point for their service. There is a forum here on DisBoards (as well as other forums elsewhere) that allows renters and owners to connect and work out their own point rental deal. For my trip, I located an Aulani owner at 10 months out and booked directly through them. It was cheaper per point and I could pay in installments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter