DVC purchase

Mimi151

Earning My Ears
Planning to go to WDW with my husband and 3 adult children+families in Nov. 2025. My husband and I will be paying for the resorts. After adding up resort costs for a Moderate, my mind switched to the DVC idea. We are looking at Beach Villas, Boardwalk or Bay Lake as home resort. We’d buy enough points to cover Nov vacation (even if we “downgrade” to OKW for this trip, and book least expensive studio options). Then, potentially have 17 years of rotating vacations with the adult children families, or renting points if we don’t use them all.

We are 61&62, so realistically we don’t want a contract that’s longer than 2042 (which I think BLT is) in case our kids don’t want to be saddled with future maintenance fees.

I am aware it’s not the most cost efficient to prepay for vacations at WDW (which is what this seems like) but it kind of locks in the opportunity to take grandkids to WDW thru their childhood.

It’s looking like the moderate resort for 2025 alone would be about 9-10k for 4 rooms. It looks like the type of contract I’m talking about would be about $30k (we would not finance). So $20k more up front plus maintenance for 17 years of resorts.

I looked into renting DVC and don’t consider it an option. I can’t be guaranteed 4 rooms at same resort and it could come down to the last minute before we even find out. So it’s DVC or Coranado Springs I think.

I welcome any and all thoughts on this plan as I’m truly undecided and still learning! Thank you!

On first look, I think your plan sounds reasonable. Note that BLT ends on January 31, 2060. The 2042 resorts at WDW are OKW (resale - DVC sells ownership that ends 2057), BWV, BCV, BRV. VB and DHHIR also end in 2042, but I wouldn’t buy there since they have no advantage when you want to stay at WDW.

For in-depth analysis (might make your head spin), ask your question here: https://www.disboards.com/forums/purchasing-dvc.28/

This should probably be moved to the DVC section of the board. You will find lots info there.

As a DVC member, I think it’s great and while I personally wouldn’t purchase a 2042 resort I can understand why it might work better for you. Resale is a really good value now and you can probably find some good deals on Boardwalk. Check the ROFR thread in the purchasing DVC section to get an idea of where prices are at.

When in November? Because that is a very busy DVC month. Personally I would first rent points for your trip coming up and then decide while there if DVC is right. 4 Studios at the cheapest OKW for 6 nights in November (not during Thanksgiving) adds up to over 300 points,

Last edited:

This should probably be moved to the DVC section of the board. You will find lots info there.

As a DVC member, I think it’s great and while I personally wouldn’t purchase a 2042 resort I can understand why it might work better for you. Resale is a really good value now and you can probably find some good deals on Boardwalk. Check the ROFR thread in the purchasing DVC section to get an idea of where prices are at.
Oops. New here. I scanned for DVC and didn’t see it.

When in November? Because that is a very busy DVC month. Personally I would first rent points for your trip coming up and then decide while there if DVC is right. 4 Studios at the cheapest OKW for 6 nights in November (not during Thanksgiving) adds up to over 300 points,
Yes. I evolved thru direct booking Shades of Green to direct booking a value, to direct booking a moderate to renting points to buying DVC. I’m all over the map! The renting worries me with the possible last minute booking and the fact that I’m relying on my kids saying they are available and something coming up in the next year and a half to change that. Plus the renting seems like $ out the window if we turn around and buy? Thanks for you thoughts.

Also, not Thanksgiving. Most likely 6 nights somewhere between the 1st and 15th.

Yes. I evolved thru direct booking Shades of Green to direct booking a value, to direct booking a moderate to renting points to buying DVC. I’m all over the map! The renting worries me with the possible last minute booking and the fact that I’m relying on my kids saying they are available and something coming up in the next year and a half to change that. Plus the renting seems like $ out the window if we turn around and buy? Thanks for you thoughts.
That is why I picked OKW, because OKW and SSR are the 2 resorts that you can usually find available inside the 7 month window and even last minute.

Also, not Thanksgiving. Most likely 6 nights somewhere between the 1st and 15th.
Unfortunately, that’s also a very popular time for DVC members - there’s a runDisney race weekend and the Food & Wine Festival going on, plus some schools are out for Veterans Day and Jersey Week. But if you’ll be wanting to book something other than studios (1BR, 2BR, 3BR) it might be a little easier, depending on your home resort. For instance, BWV doesn’t have any dedicated 2BR villas, so once all the studios are booked up, only 1BR villas are left.

Unfortunately, that’s also a very popular time for DVC members - there’s a runDisney race weekend and the Food & Wine Festival going on, plus some schools are out for Veterans Day and Jersey Week. But if you’ll be wanting to book something other than studios (1BR, 2BR, 3BR) it might be a little easier, depending on your home resort. For instance, BWV doesn’t have any dedicated 2BR villas, so once all the studios are booked up, only 1BR villas are left.
So do you think even at the 11 month booking it would be difficult to get 4 studios at Beach Club?

So do you think even at the 11 month booking it would be difficult to get 4 studios at Beach Club?
Yes, even as an owner with 11 month booking privileges, it can be difficult to get 4 studios at BC in November. You might want to look at booking two 2BR villas instead - that might be easier, especially given that BCV has dedicated 2BR villas (which BWV doesn't have). You'll need to look at sleeping arrangements - who will sleep where - for those villas. I don't know BCV very well, not having stayed there because we own BWV, so you might look at the DISboards page describing them - https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-resorts/beach-club/villas.htm - and note the differences between what's listed as a 2BR (meaning dedicated) and a 2BR lockoff (the secondary BR is a studio with its own entrance to the hallway). Maybe one dedicated and one lockoff 2BR would fit your families better.

Hmmm… Just to totally understand, if all the rooms are available at 11 months, is it just that more people are all trying to get them at the same time? Like everyone is online at midnight trying to book? (Just trying to understand the process at this point). Are there only a set number of rooms dedicated to DVC at each resort?

The problem with this strategy is that buy the time you buy your DVC points if not already November will be booked out. November needs to be booked at 1- months out

Hmmm… Just to totally understand, if all the rooms are available at 11 months, is it just that more people are all trying to get them at the same time? Like everyone is online at midnight trying to book? (Just trying to understand the process at this point).
Yes, at 11 months before checkin for very popular times like November, many, many owners are competing at 8:00 AM Eastern to book the same villas. And not all the rooms are available every day, because some will be occupied by people whose vacation started before yours does.
Are there only a set number of rooms dedicated to DVC at each resort?
By law, Disney must retain ownership of at least 2% of each resort, to allow for taking villas out of use for maintenance and repairs. In practice, due to foreclosures and other events, Disney usually owns more than 2% at any given time. But the remaining villas are open for owners to book at 11 months (if not already reserved).

There are some websites that have historical data showing availability of different villa sizes at the various resorts as time for checkin gets closer. Hopefully someone who has the link will come post it soon. In general studios book up first, then 2BR, then 1BR.

Let me add that the period from mid to late September through Marathon Weekend in January is what we call Fall Frenzy. It's the most popular time of year for DVC owners to book. And because BCV and BWV are so close to Epcot, walking distance to Food & Wine Festival, they are in high demand - Riviera is too.

SSR, OKW, and AKV book up a little less quickly that time of year.

Hmmm… Just to totally understand, if all the rooms are available at 11 months, is it just that more people are all trying to get them at the same time? Like everyone is online at midnight trying to book? (Just trying to understand the process at this point). Are there only a set number of rooms dedicated to DVC at each resort?
Yes, at 11 months before checkin for very popular times like November, many, many owners are competing at 8:00 AM Eastern to book the same villas. And not all the rooms are available every day, because some will be occupied by people whose vacation started before yours does.

By law, Disney must retain ownership of at least 2% of each resort, to allow for taking villas out of use for maintenance and repairs. In practice, due to foreclosures and other events, Disney usually owns more than 2% at any given time. But the remaining villas are open for owners to book at 11 months (if not already reserved).
This is why I needed to ask questions - haha. Totally blanked out that there would be people staying in them already and not all would be available at the same time. Thanks for pointing out the obvious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter