DVC Point Reallocations

DVC Mike

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
DVC Point Reallocations

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/Points/PointReallocations.png

Do the number of points needed for a stay change year over year? It could. While the total number of points sold at the resort is a fixed number and cannot be changed, point needs for stays can be changed.

WHAT IS POINT REALLOCATION?

DVC can make adjustments to the point chart for a resort to better reflect supply and demand. Reallocation is the process of raising the point requirements for a specific resort / room size / view / season / day of the week, while lowering the points for another room size / view / season / day of the week at the same resort. The key to reallocation is that the total points for the year in a single resort is a fixed number and cannot change.

Language from the POS allowing reallocation.

http://i235.*************************************POS/PointrelocationPosDvcMemAgree_2.png​

HOW MANY POINT REALLOCATIONS HAVE TAKEN PLACE?

WebmasterDoc's response on another thread regarding Point Inflation made me question:

How many times has DVCMC reallocated the point charts?

I am only aware of the following:

• 1996 - Reallocation of seasons at OKW
  • 2010 - Shift in points from weekday to weekend
  • 2011 - Shift in points from weekday to weekend (Part II)
  • 2012 - AKV
  • 2013 - BLT and SSR
  • 2016 - Aulani

Have there been others?

Were the 2010-2011 changes (I view them as one change that had to be implemented over 2 years) the largest reallocation in the history of DVC?

http://i235.*************************************Misc/RelatedThreads.png

http://i235.************************************************************* DVC Mike - *******.com

Mike, if you aren't entirely correct, you have to be close. There have been very few reallocations since I became a member in '93.

Wasn't there a reallocation at BWV when the standard view villas were created? We weren't members then, but seem to remember hearing about this. I also think the DVC manager mentioned this when I talked to her about how the parking lot views in Pago Pago need to have the points reallocated since the views are so bad.

Here are ones I am aware of:

OKW had points shift between some seasons in mid-1990s and BWV very early in its existence went from having no view differences to having lower point standard and higher preferred view. Between that change in 1996 and 2009 there were no changes. In early 2009 we got the charts for 2010 which reflected the first phase of the shift of weekend points to weekday. We got another weekend to weekday change for 2011 which resulted in the change of the combined two years being greater than 20% per night (it took two years because DVD cannot change points for a room in any given night more than 20% per year). The 2011 charts also reflected a change for AKV that created more standard view rooms, including 2 of the Kidani GVs, and lowered the number of savanna view rooms with the result that nightly savanna view point costs went up for many times of the year..

The 2012 charts showed a change for VGC with a significant increase in the number of premier and choice season days and a decrease in adventure and magic season days. The 2013 point charts reflected a significant change for SSR, where the treehouses went up about 15% year round and all other room categories had minor decreases, and a change to BLT where several rooms were reclassified as standard view from Theme Park view and increases appeared elsewhere to offset the decrease.

The 2014 point charts changed Aulani by decreasing points needed for standard view GV's and increased ocean view GVs a little in all seasons and also shifted 14 days from choice to magic season, all apparently the result the removal of a GV and possibly some other rooms from inventory and also possibly a change of some rooms from ocean view to lower point views. The 2015 point charts reflected changes at Aulani made to add the Hotel rooms to the inventory, and at Vero as a result of some ocean view inn rooms being reclassified as lower-point cost garden view rooms, with the resulting rise in points going mainly to the GV's in dream and choice seasons.The 2016 charts were released with changes to Aulani significantly lowering the number of choice and magic season days, while raising the number of premier and adventure season days.

Here is the 1994-1995 point chart for the Disney Vacation Club Resort (now OKW) courtesy of WebMasterDoc. This chart is the same as the original point chart in 1991.

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/Points/OKWpoints94-95.png​

These points did not change until 1996 when DVC did its first point reallocation in 1996. This was first published in fall 1994 when the 1996 point charts were distributed to DVC members - mostly raising the weeknight points and lowering the weekends.

http://i235.*************************************Resorts/Points/OKWpoints96.png​

This chart remained the same until the 2010 reallocation.

I cannot say exactly when the change was made. The OKW change was apparently with the 1996 point charts, but those came out a year earlier. BWV opened mid-1996 and the actual change could have been in the 1998 point charts which were released in late 1996. But I do not recall whether it was even a change that started at the beginning of a year and I believe I recall it was in effect as early as 1997. It was not your usual change, because DVD reduced the total points applicable to the resort to create standard view and left preferred view at the original point levels. Another change at the time was to correct some drawings in some of the documents, particulary in some filings in other states, that had indicated the rooms were larger than they actually were -- someone apparently mixed up some early drafts showing the larger rooms as ones to be filed, which incorrectly made it appear that the studios were over 400 sq ft with like overstatements for other rooms. That overstatement actually hung around for years because when DVC later first went on line, the Disney site incorrectly showed the BWV rooms as having the larger square footage. The offical DVC site was eventually corrected but the larger room sizes continued to be referred to for a long time by other sites. I remember seeing several discussions on these boards where posters believed the BWV rooms were much larger than they actually are.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter