DVC Maintenance Fee

mr765

Earning My Ears
Can someone give me the history of the maintenance fee increases for any DVCs.

Just looking at the WDW DVCs, dues have averaged about 3% annual increases since '92. Disney is forbidden by law to make a profit on mantainence fees. Our dues have gone down several times, stayed roughly the same once or twice and have increased by 5% once or twice.

I can give you the OKW numbers since we first purchased:

<Table border><TR ALIGN="center" VALIGN="bottom"><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00><FONT FACE="Arial">Year</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00><FONT FACE="Arial">Fee</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00><FONT FACE="Arial">Change</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00><FONT FACE="Arial">Percent</FONT></TD></TR><TR VALIGN="bottom"><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right"><FONT FACE="Arial">1993</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">$2.5629</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right"><FONT FACE="Arial"> </FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right"><FONT FACE="Arial"> </FONT></TD></TR><TR VALIGN="bottom"><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right"><FONT FACE="Arial">1994</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">$2.6986</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">$0.1357</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:0.0%"><FONT FACE="Arial">5.3%</FONT></TD></TR><TR VALIGN="bottom"><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right"><FONT FACE="Arial">1995</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">$2.8393</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">$0.1407</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:0.0%"><FONT FACE="Arial">5.2%</FONT></TD></TR><TR VALIGN="bottom"><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right"><FONT FACE="Arial">1996</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">$2.9882</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">$0.1489</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:0.0%"><FONT FACE="Arial">5.2%</FONT></TD></TR><TR VALIGN="bottom"><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right"><FONT FACE="Arial">1997</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">$3.1448</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">$0.1566</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:0.0%"><FONT FACE="Arial">5.2%</FONT></TD></TR><TR VALIGN="bottom"><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right"><FONT FACE="Arial">1998</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">$3.1743</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">$0.0295</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:0.0%"><FONT FACE="Arial">0.9%</FONT></TD></TR><TR VALIGN="bottom"><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right"><FONT FACE="Arial">1999</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">$3.1640</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">-$0.0103</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:0.0%"><FONT FACE="Arial">-0.3%</FONT></TD></TR><TR VALIGN="bottom"><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right"><FONT FACE="Arial">2000</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">$3.1623</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">-$0.0017</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:0.0%"><FONT FACE="Arial">-0.1%</FONT></TD></TR><TR VALIGN="bottom"><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right"><FONT FACE="Arial">2001</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">$3.1272</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">-$0.0351</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:0.0%"><FONT FACE="Arial">-1.1%</FONT></TD></TR><TR VALIGN="bottom"><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right"><FONT FACE="Arial">2002</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">$3.2163</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:$#,##0.0000"><FONT FACE="Arial">$0.0891</FONT></TD><TD BGCOLOR=#FFFF00 ALIGN="right" STYLE="vnd.ms-excel.numberformat:0.0%"><FONT FACE="Arial">2.8%</FONT></TD></TR></Table>
Hope this helps.

Caskbill....were you nervous those first few years that you would be seeing 5% every year for 40 years? I mean, you really had no other history to go on since DVC was new.:confused:

When I saw my home VWL go up 5% this year, I was kind of bummed. But at least I knew the history of DVC was that we would probably not be looking at that high of an increase every year.

I'll let Caskbill answer for himself. However, I was not upset by the 5% increases. I was concerned that it would be higher than that. I must admit the last few years have spoiled me and the minimal increases this year had more impact than the 5% of years ago. But, when you look at a $.07 increase from 1997 until 2002, that's still pretty darn good!

Pam...thanks for answering....it really was directed at any OKW owner who bought in the early years.

Like I said, I have the comfort of 10 years of DVC history to help ease any anxiety I feel.

It's easy to look back now and say "Gee, I wish I had bought earlier". But it took some courage to get into a new Disney venture without knowing exactly how it would turn out. My hat's off to you and all other DVCers who bought in the beginning on faith, trust and pixie dust! :)

Gee, I wish I had bought earlier! :D

Granny, the 5% increase was a little unsettling, but I always try to approach anything two different ways, and one of the different ways I looked at that was it really meant about a $3.00/night increase for a 1-B/R at OKW. (Magic season, weekdays. Or only $2.40 adventure season, weekdays). That is still way less than even your typical hotel increases it's rates every year.

Besides, back then we were still getting the free park passes so another way to look at it was it meant I was paying $0.75 per day for a park pass. Quite a deal.

Finally, if you look at the total increases since 1993, they represent 65 cents/point, or about $14 per night more for a 1/B-R villa. (Magic season, or $10/night Adventure season). Now, don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure the regular WDW hotel rooms have gone up more than $14/night since 1993. :D

And Pam hit it on the nose, a 7-cent increase since 1997. Just cannot complain about that at all!

We purchased in 1992. Of course, our guide made us aware of the maximum allowable increase. We factored that in as part of our decision to buy, figuring the free passes would offset that cost. Certainly we're extremely happy with the actual rate of increase, and hope it remains fairly consistent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter