DVC Guide when buying resale?

kerrbear

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,

We are in the process of buying a resale contract. I had been considering direct at the Cabins until the specifics on cost came out. There was a guide that has helped us through that process, who has reached out to me along the way with updates. At some point, we will want to add some direct points to get the blue card and unrestricted points. What happens when buying in resale first. Will we have a guide? Do people typically continue talking with a guide that they’ve already built a bit of a relationship with?

I reached out to her and let her know we’re buying resale but that we do want to buy direct in the future.

I’m just curious to hear from others who have taken this route into ownership.

No DVC guide when buying resale, only direct. You can still have a relationship, especially if you want to buy direct points (need 150 for blue card), but he/she can't help you with resale.

The person you've spoken with will still be your Guide. Unless she leaves DVC or something else unusual happens. Those connections are usually make at the first point of contact.

I wouldn't expect her to hold your hand through the resale purchase process. That's not her job. (Your broker, and perhaps DVC Membership Administration would be your resources.) But a smart Guide isn't going to "shame" you for buying resale, and realizes that fostering the relationship often leads to direct sales down the road.

They used to assign one to all owners even for resale. But it appears that has stopped.

So, you can reach out to her again when ready. I do believe that when you do actually talk to one, even if you don’t buy, it is that person who they list for you.

About a year after I bought resale I had a guide call and introduce himself as my "new guide".

I don't know if that meant I had a guide all along, or if he had just been assigned to me as a resale owner.

Thank you all for your input.

I definitely wouldn’t expect her to help with the resale.

I do like her and would like to keep the connection, so I’ll reach out to her when we’re ready to buy direct. 😊

New resale owner. No guide for purchase, obviously. Then did first DVC trip to Poly in Feb. Chatted with the onsite DVC folks and they just assigned us a guide on the spot, who has now reached out via email after the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter