• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Check-Out in the height of the Hurricane

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffPort

DIS Junior
We’re in DisneyWorld right now as Hurricane Ian approaches. Our long-scheduled DVC reservation ends tomorrow morning — right as the center of the storm is predicted to be right on top of the Orlando area.

I understand that Disney has ceased all resort check-ins until Friday. What I’m wondering is what they will do to us when our pre-scheduled check-out time is reached tomorrow? Will we be allowed to just stay in our room until it is safe to depart (Thursday evening or Friday morning), or will they insist that we either leave or pay some kind of additional fee? Does anyone have any similar experience that can speak to this particular situation?

I will do that tomorrow morning. I’m just wondering at this point what my expectation should be.

Nobody can check in tomorrow, so hopefully that’s to allow folks in your exact situation to stay an extra night. Be safe!

Since nobody can check in tomorrow then I would hope that you can stay safe in your current room.

We’re in DisneyWorld right now as Hurricane Ian approaches. Our long-scheduled DVC reservation ends tomorrow morning — right as the center of the storm is predicted to be right on top of the Orlando area.

I understand that Disney has ceased all resort check-ins until Friday. What I’m wondering is what they will do to us when our pre-scheduled check-out time is reached tomorrow? Will we be allowed to just stay in our room until it is safe to depart (Thursday evening or Friday morning), or will they insist that we either leave or pay some kind of additional fee? Does anyone have any similar experience that can speak to this particular situation?

i have been asking similar question all week. We were scheduled to depart tomorrow too. I was just down to the front desk about an hour ago asking again. And thankfully, since shelter in place is now in effect, they booked our room for tomorrow night for us. Our flights were cancelled for tomorrow and rebooked to Friday. i had to borrow the points but it is better than not knowing what we will be doing come tomorrow night. So I would head down to the front desk. We are at boardwalk.

i have been asking similar question all week. We were scheduled to depart tomorrow too. I was just down to the front desk about an hour ago asking again. And thankfully, since shelter in place is now in effect, they booked our room for tomorrow night for us. Our flights were cancelled for tomorrow and rebooked to Friday. i had to borrow the points but it is better than not knowing what we will be doing come tomorrow night. So I would head down to the front desk. We are at boardwalk.
Booking another night at the going DVC points rate is actually a pretty steep cost … particularly for our situation where we have a 2-bedroom unit, but only 3 of our party remains to ride out the storm.

On the one hand I have a lot of confidence in Disney's disaster operations, and therfore feel assured that we will be safe. On the other, Disney's business operations are demonstrating a lot of timidity. They seem afraid to communicate clearly, and afraid to make promises to people, perhaps out of concern that business leadership will intervene should weather conditions be less severe than anticipated, forcing resort managers to push people who are not willing to pay for an extra night out.

My approach is to have a backup plan while being absolutely prepared to stand my ground should anyone suggest I need to pack up and leave in the middle of a hurricane.

I had friends that had their stay extended because of a hurricane passing over.
They didn't have to pay for it.

Booking another night at the going DVC points rate is actually a pretty steep cost … particularly for our situation where we have a 2-bedroom unit, but only 3 of our party remains to ride out the storm.

If you are in a resort that you can get to the front desk without going outside, you may not want to wait until tomorrow morning to ask.

They need to know that you don’t want to leave and hope to have a place to stay. I would not assume that just because no one can check in that no one will be leaving of their own accord.

Also, they may be able to move you today to a smaller room for the next two nights to reduce the extra in points it would cost to you.

I'm interested to hear what they say. On this thread alone people have said they have had to use points while others have said Disney did not charge them an additional fee or take points for the extra night. We were supposed to check out tomorrow but we drove so we checked out early and left this morning. Our friends are in a cash room at Poly and had to get on a waitlist to see if they could keep their room (they were able to, but had to pay for it).

Reactions: cm8
I'm interested to hear what they say. On this thread alone people have said they have had to use points while others have said Disney did not charge them an additional fee or take points for the extra night. We were supposed to check out tomorrow but we drove so we checked out early and left this morning. Our friends are in a cash room at Poly and had to get on a waitlist to see if they could keep their room (they were able to, but had to pay for it).

Most of the reports I have seen have been that people were paying for additional nights.

I was supposed to stay until tomorrow morning, but we decided to check out early this morning. This was at the VGF. My points were put in holding. People who were trying to stay were put on a waitlist. Disney was offering a hurricane rate, they definitely weren’t staying for free.

Reactions: cm8
I was supposed to stay until tomorrow morning, but we decided to check out early this morning. This was at the VGF. My points were put in holding. People who were trying to stay were put on a waitlist. Disney was offering a hurricane rate, they definitely weren’t staying for free.

Give MS a call tomorrow. They will remove the holding status as that is pretty standard.

Glad you are home safe.

Disney hotel mgmt has, thus far, been incredibly poor at providing any instruction or communication to guests. We’ve received no phone messages or notices under our door — nothing. The only proactive notice we have is a message board set up on an easel in the lobby late last night. My thought right now is that they have already given us instruction, via this board notice to all guests. It reads:

For the safety of our guests and cast members, all guests including our Disney Vacation Club Members must check in to our resorts on Sept. 28, by 3pm. Guests may reschedule their trip or cancel their stay with us, any customary cancellation fees will be waived. Check-ins will not be accepted on Thursday, Sept. 29. Characters will not be available in character dining locations on Wednesday, Sept. 28 and Thursday, Sept 29. Guests who are checked in by 3pm on Wednesday, Sept 28 will be asked to shelter in place at their resort hotel for the duration of the storm. This includes any resort-to-resort transfers.

When I started hearing from other guests that were waiting in the hour+ line in the lobby or calling directly to DVC that Disney was demanding cash or points to extend their stay (for a completely ruined trip, no less), I decided to intentionally avoid contact ahead of time. After all, we have a guaranteed room through 11am tomorrow morning. My read of this notice above (the only notice Disney has given me) is that I am being instructed to “shelter in my room” until the storm has passed and Disney has determined it is safe for people to leave the resort. I’m not even sure I’m going to go down to the lobby tomorrow morning. I believe this notice is pretty clear, given it is the only information provided. My primary concern is that our keys will likely be automatically deactivated after 11am tomorrow, so if we all vacate the room at one time, we will lose access.

I agree that they have been really poor with communication. I think that is because no one was really certain what the track of the storm was up until last night/ this morning.
so that’s why we decided to leave early, because we knew it would be dangerous check out during the height of the storm.
Anyway, i Really don’t think that Disney will make you homeless at 11 am tomorrow. They won’t force you to leave in a disaster situation. That would be pretty bad for PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter