Dumb questions from a noob

sethschroeder

DIS Veteran
Okay please keep in mind I have only ever been on Disney. I am actively looking at Royal and Celebrity right now to possibly replace my b2b on the Dream that booked for early September (originally was on Fantasy which had its 7 night cruise shortened to 4 nights).

If you had a choice what would you lean towards? (2 adults and no kids they are staying home) (destination is less important than the ship itself)
  • Royal Allure - 7 Night Western (not fan) - Grand Suite 1BR w/ Signature Dining
  • Royal Odyssey - 8 Night Southern (really like) - Balcony Larger Room w/ Drink+Dining+Internet Packages
  • Celebrity Edge - 7 Night Eastern (like) - Sky Suite access to The Retreat w/ Signature Dining Package

Was looking at Odyssey or Allure for a 8 nights Southern or 7 night Western cruise.
  1. Sky Suite vs Balcony Room - yes the rooms are bigger but there doesn't seem to be an exclusive pool or anything like on Celebrity. I am not too worried about the room size and was thinking a better use would be getting Balcony Room and adding on the drinks/signature dining/internet to the room. Also I would want signature dining so the included dinner place does interest me a ton. Is the suite lounge that amazing or concierge service really needed to book things?
  2. If I were to have the Premium Drinks and Signature Meals packages am I going to be running in to non-included items or would that cover basically everything (I know certain places you get a per diem)?
  3. Do signature dining locations book up for every night (obviously different now) but just wondering will we strike out and not be able to get certain places at all if we don't book ahead or book everything the first night? Can you always cancel later and switch it up?
  4. Anything else?

Last edited:
Not sure what you are referring to when talking about signature dining. Are you referring to the unlimited dining package? Or the ‘specialty‘ dining restaurants that you would otherwise have to pay for? If so you can buy that package regardless of room that you are staying .

Suite guest have access to Coastal KitChen on Oasis class ships and is in Odyssey.

i have never had issues booking the specialty dining but I’m a planner and like to book things well in advance.

I understand the premium drink package may not cover high end liquors.

to keep things a little short:
Allure is likely to be similar to DCL in that there will be lots of kids.

Odyssey is the latest and greatest ship so probably a lot of tech if you're into that.

Edge is probably more geared towards adults.Captain Kate is on Edge if that sways your decision making.

Personal preference, but I'd go with 8 night on Odyssey. You get one more night, plus it's the newest ship. I've never stayed in the fancy suites so balcony rooms are very nice to me. But I've been on Allure too and it's an amazing ship. Oasis class is great and really unique with Central Park and Boardwalk area, and shows such as the Aqua show.

I don't know about Celebrity so can only talk about Allure (and what I assume Odyssey).
The only specialty restaurant you will be excluded from is Coastal Kitchen . For that one, you need to be staying in a suite. But you will have access to all other specialty restaurants in your plan...and same menu for everyone. With the drink plan, it covers everything up to $14 (I think that's the amount). If your drink goes over, then you just pay the difference.

There is Chef's Table. Anyone can sign up for that (space permitted). There is a cost (not cheap) and it's not included in the dining package.

Captain Kate is on Edge if that sways your decision making.

Although she DOES have vacations, so she is not on there 365 days a year. So that should not be the exclusive decision maker.

I have been on Edge and loved her. So far my Royal Caribbean experience is only on Radiance class, so smaller than the ones being considered. I'm trying Anthem in February.

Have tried both Allure , and Anthem class (but not Odyssey specifically). My kids liked Oasis class better based on the recreation available (2 flow riders, zip line, more rock climbing on Oasis vs the Seaplex, IFly on Anthem). As adults, we liked the more open feel of Allures promenade (vs the Odysseys Esplanade).

i know you didn’t ask this, but compare to DCL we found more areas on the larger RC ships for adults to sit and lounge that didnt involve sitting by a pool. But I guess it’s all about what you are most interested in doing .

Although she DOES have vacations, so she is not on there 365 days a year. So that should not be the exclusive decision maker.
lol fair enough. I point it out because I feel like Captain Kate's social media game has made her into something of a (pardon the pun) celebrity, and I'm sure people look at cruising Edge simply because of who the captain is.

For OP, a YouTuber/Royal Caribbean crew member named Chris Wong (no relation) is working on Odyssey, so that might help with your research.

lol fair enough. I point it out because I feel like Captain Kate's social media game has made her into something of a (pardon the pun) celebrity, and I'm sure people look at cruising Edge simply because of who the captain is.

For OP, a YouTuber/Royal Caribbean crew member named Chris Wong (no relation) is working on Odyssey, so that might help with your research.

Oh, I totally get it. I was not sad when she was on when I sailed the Edge in Feb 2020. But given that schedules can change, I try to never make a cruise booking on who is supposed to be onboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter