Dum Dum Da Dum...Dum Dum Daa Dum.....

grover

DIS Veteran
Just wanted to share my exciting news with you all!!!
I am getting married!
My DH who is really my common-law hubby gave me a engagement ring for Christmas!!
Now we have been together for almost 12 years but never got around to making plans for a wedding!
So he surprised me with a ring!
So now I get to do planning of another sort!
I would wish for a Disney Wedding but it is wayyyyy out of our price range!
We are thinking of somewhere in the Caribean or maybe Vegas-we'll see, teee heee heee, I have lots of time to plan as it will be at least a year and half!!!
I would love to hear from anyone who has gone away to get married!
Grover in Winnipeg
:cool:

Congratulations grover! Did you guys set a date yet? I can't offer any advice on weddings ... I'm still a single-gal :p A wedding in the Carribean sounds nice though...

Congrats! Enjoy every moment of planning your wedding and DO EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT! Did you hear me? DO EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT! Have a great time! S

Congrats Grover! So happy! We are all coming to your wedding online!! LOL!!!! I realize you have been together a while but there is something awesome about this committment!

Can you have a wedding with a Disney theme? My friend did this this summer and it was lovely!

You know you can always renew your vows at WDW in the future.

All the best to MR and MRS Grover!!!!!!

I sometimes wish we had gone away...

Have fun planning and don't let anyone tell you how to spend your day...IT'S YOUR DAY!:cool:

My brother and his wife got married in Vegas -- very spur of the moment. Although they'd been together for quite a while and wanted to get married, some paperwork problems made it easier for them to do it there. So when our family was together for a family reunion for our 25th anniversary, they decided to do it.

Anyway, I really didn't know what to expect. They got married at a little chapel off the beaten path. It had a drive through window, the whole tacky Vegas thing I sort of expected. However, the ceremony was beautiful. Reverend Tim married them at 11:30 p.m. -- it was his 14th wedding of the day and we never would have known it.

My sister-in-law rented her wedding dress, my brother rented a tux, we were all dressed quite casually becuase of course we had no clue this was going to be happening. We rented a huge limo to take us all there, drank champagne on the way back to the Strip and had a great time.

It was really lots of fun, very memorable and only one day of stress!! I'm trying to convince my daughter it might be a viable option - LOL.

We also have friends who got married on the beach in Mexico. We weren't there, it was a very, very small wedding with the bride's children only in attendance. But again, she said she wouldn't have done it any other way. The pictures and video were beautiful and again, no stress with a wedding for 300 people.

As much as I enjoyed my wedding, and it wasn't nearly the lavish production that so many are today, if I had to do it again, I'd go on a nice vacation somewhere with some close friends and family and just do it. JMHO.

Congratulations and all the best to you and your fiance.

Bev

CONGRATULATIONS GROVER!! This is indeed, very exciting news!

If I had to do it over again, I'd go for a small, late afternoon ceremony on a beach, in the Carribean. I didn't have a huge wedding, but what we did have, stressed me out, unbelieveably! I'd loved to have had just a quiet intimate dinner afterwards and spent our honeymoon at a beach bungalow!

Enjoy planning your wedding and all the best to you and your fiancé. :)

<b>Congratulations Grover and future-DH! :) Have fun planning your wedding! You've had an exciting year. :) </b>

Congrats! My husband and I both say if we had to do it all over again we would definitely go away. Great choice and happy planning!!! Even though you are not going for a year and a half, I'd get all the travel books from a TA, you can see when is the cheapest time to travel and what each areas marriage requirements are, that will definitely help with the planning.

I'm planning my sisters now for 2004 so let me know if you find any great ideas!

Wow! So exciting. Congrats to you and DH.

If I were looking for a destination wedding it would be at a Sandals resort. They have lots in Jamaica, and also in Antigua, Bahamas etc. I have some really beautiful brochures of their resorts and they are amazing.

Are the Sandals resorts still going for around $3500/person/week? Do they include the wedding ceremony? or is that a seperate package? Wouldn't be feasable for my sister as they don't allow children, but I've always wanted to go!

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:
That's wonderful news.
I'm sure if you used your "planner extrodinaire" skills, I bet you could do a WDW Wedding, for the same price as any other place.
I really wanted a wedding on the beach at sunset- 16 yrs ago but eveyone else sort of took over and left me with very little say in my own wedding. I think that's what I'm reading between the lines of everyone else comments -"do what YOU want".

I did tell DH after we came back for WDW- that for our 20th/25th we are going to do your renewal at WDW. DD (8) also told daddy that's where she's going to get married and to start saving because she wants the Cindy's Glass Carriage.

Do what you really have in you heart to do, do what the two of you wish for that day to be like. And just like planning for WDW check things out for yourself- A couple we know went to Jamacia with a wedding planner travel agent, the wedding was beautiful, but they didn't get there marrige lience/cert. back for over 18months ! And it was very expensive.

tmli: Sandals weddings are included in your stay as long as you are staying at least 6 nights. I haven't personally booked any for this winter, but the last one I did last April cost about $2500 Canadian per person. Remember that this includes all food, drinks including premium alcohol, entertainment and priveldges at neighbouring Sandals as well as the one you are staying at. And of course it is an awesome honeymoon

Sandals also owns family properties called Beaches. Same excellent service and amenities for families. They do weddings as well. I would suggest that anyone wanting to get married in the Caribbean, do so in Jamaica as it is the easiest. When booking a Sandals/Beaches wedding they take a $50 refundable deposit. This can be applied to photos/videos or be refunded.

Thanks for the well wishes!
bunnyfoo-we haven't set a date yet but are kind of thinking a year from the end of this winter/begining of spring-kind of depends on where we go,how long charter flights last-that kind of thing!
Sandra-ohhh yes,we will be doing this our way! Luckily our family's aren't the type to take over/impose ect,they're great! My mom would probably like something more traditional but hasn't said anything! She needs a vacation anyways!!
Wendy-I wishhhhh I could do a disney wedding but the wedding alone starts at over 7000.00 usd and the rest of the trip would still be pricey and it would be alot to ask others to spend to-can you believe they all don't love disney as much as us??? LOL! But one day we can renew vows there,or go on a anniversary trip!
PoohBWV-I may look into Beaches,we have a 10 year old who will come along so Sandles wouldn't be an option. I will also have to look at marriage liscense requirements as the different countries have different requirements and waiting periods!

Thank You all for sharing your experiences with me! I love hearing about them,sounds like alot of people go away and get married! Any other ideas???

Grover in Winnipeg
:cool:

CONGRATULATIONS to the upcoming Mr. & Mrs. grover!!!!!!

What a nice surprise and I hope you have much happiness for many many years to come!!!:)

My cousin was married at WDW 2 years ago and yes it is verrrrry costly but we were so lucky to be invited as it was the lovliest wedding I've ever been to (even thogh there were only 12 of us in attendance;) )

My vote would be to get married on the beach in the Caribbean!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Congratulations. Enjoy your wedding whatever you do. I had a friend that got married in the Carribean. She said it was great. They only had a few people in attendance. I'm not sure where they went but they had a great time. Remember it is your wedding.
tigercat

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter