DTD Hotels: Balconies and/or Patios

WalkingintheFog

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to figure out
-- which of the DTD 7 Hotels offer balconies/patios.
-- if either of the 7 offers one or the other for all rooms, or what the scoop is.
-- And then, once I know which ones offer balconies/patios, pros/cons of balconies/patios at each place, eg pool access, view, balcony furniture, etc.

This is separate from any discussion on other amenities at the hotels!
(There might be a quick trip during a warm time of year & I'm going to want a balcony/patio.... once I figure which of those 7 I'll consider, then I'll start weighing in the other factors by checking the other threads!)

Thanks all! Loves me some surfing on the DisBoards!

The 7 DTD Hotels
(Star designation as per Travelocity, which may/may not be out of whack) and (listed just roughly by distance from DTD):

3.5 Wyndham LBV
4.0 Hilton Orlando Resort LBV
4.0 Buena Vista Palace
4.0 Holiday Inn LBV
3.5 Royal Plaza
3.0 Best Western
3.5 Doubletree by Hilton Guest Suites LBV​

First, I've stayed in both what is now the Wyndham (formerly Regal Sun Resort) and the Best Western - and I'd rate the BW higher than the Wyndham.

Best Western - every room has a small balcony with a small table and two chairs, and the fireworks are visible from both Magic Kingdom and Epcot (the aerials, not the lower ones) if you have a Disney view. It's also clean and comfortable and the staff is very friendly.

Buena Vista Palace - They have balconies, and you can upgrade to Disney View in the tower. I've called and talked to them, and they are really helpful. If you have any questions, just call the 1-800 number on the website, and it takes you to the hotel, not a call center. This hotel is RIGHT a crossed the street from DTD. This was my first choice, but ended up booking where my family members were staying.

Holiday Inn - This is where we are booked. We were told that "most" rooms have a balcony, and you can request it when booking. They also give you the option to upgrade to a Disney View room (to watch fireworks) with balcony. We chose this over the Best Western & Royal Plaza because they have free in-room mini fridges & internet, where the other two charge extra for the mini fridge and Royal Plaza charges for internet. It is also closer to DTD than the other two (RP is just next door though). Holiday Inn is also in the process of adding microwaves to their rooms (I called to see if they were available). This a big bonus for us. They told me if we didn't happen to have a microwave in the room we were in, they could get us one at no extra charge.They also say they don't charge a resort fee. Another bonus.

Royal Plaza - Some rooms do have balconies, I'm not 100% sure if all do. They charge $25/week for mini fridge and $9.95/day for internet (ouch!).

Best Western - Yes, however they charge $10/night for a mini fridge, and they are the one of the furthest away from DTD.

We stayed at the Whyndam about 6 years ago. It was an okay hotel. I don't think we had a balcony, but there may have been rooms that did. I don't have any complaints about our stay there. One of the closest to DTD. Free mini fridge. Our room was nice & clean.

I didn't comment on the other two, as we didn't look up information on them when we were doing our research.

Buena Vista Palace and Spa has balconies. We stayed there last spring and loved it, they have a table and chairs on it. We'd stay there again, but we want to try a 'on-property' stay to see how it compares- plus free dining!

IMG00137-20101029-2103.jpg

That is a balcony view from the Holiday Inn DTD.

I requested a view and got 1, was pleased as I was staying on points not cash. In retrospect, we would not really have missed anything if we didn't get the DTD view.

IMG00143-20101029-2130.jpg

Nice pool at the hotel though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter