• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DSLR Camera Recommendation

I like my Canon Rebel, but any DSLR should be fine. I think you'll see an improvement in your photos with the bigger camera. I'm sure you can't make a bad choice.

I recommend also keeping and bringing your point and shoot camera along too. Sometimes the DSLR is so big and heavy and it's nice to have a pocket size camera along for the unexpected shots when you don't have the big camera with you.

I've been using DSLRs for 8+ years, and friends typically ask me about cameras, and what DSLR they should get. What I've noticed is 50% of the people think that if they buy a DSLR, their images will instantly get better because they spent more on their camera which is not true. this 50% also find that it's not worth lugging their big camera around, and end up not really using it as much as they thought they would have... These people probably would have been a little better off if they bought a smaller mirrorless/micro fourthirds camera. The other half of the people get into cameras, and don't mind carrying around a camera bag everywhere they go (i fall into this category, and typically lug my 5D3, flash, and typical 2-3 lenses with me on vacation all th time).

If you want DSLR quality, but point and shoot simplicity, I'd go for a Sony Alpha. However, in saying that, if I had to buy new today, I'd get a Cannon compact. The processors on theae are amazing and are so close to DSLR quality and so easy to carry that it would be my choice.
Some shutterbugs may want to burn me at the stake, but I stand by my answer.

I have a Nikon D7000 and there is no way I am bringing it on my cruise. Even though it is sealed from weather etc, I am not taking a chance of damage or theft. I have an older Nikon 8800, point and shoot, that takes amazing pictures. Unless you are a photo buff, and plan on using all the settings and changing lenses, I'd just get a good point and shoot. The DSLR's are on the heavy side and you have to be prepared to "lug" it around. The sensors and options are unbelievable now on even the most affordable point and shoot units.

For me, these PPs have framed nicely how I also feel about this issue. No question a full frame single lens reflex camera in the right hands will take better pictures than most point and shoot cameras under most conditions. HOWEVER...when I'm traveling or on vacation, my main priority is usually about preserving great memories, not about making artistic statements. My attention to all of the necessary photographic details go right out the window, program mode to auto and shoot away. At that moment, an SLR is, at least for me, a lot of excess baggage. Take a look at my Avatar. That picture was taken several miles into a difficult climb up the Great Wall using my Canon SLR with a very expensive lens, and I now look back on it and reallize the very same picture, or perhaps an even better one given the lighting conditions that day, would have been taken with a smaller more portable camera. My vote would be a Canon Powershot of recent vintage and several 4 or 8 GB cards. Now I realize that is not the opinion you were asking for to begin with, so...many local camera shops will actually rent you a camera for, say a week at a time. Maybe consider renting a nice DSLR with a couple lenses and a case and try it out for a small fraction of what it will cost to buy one and maybe find out later its just too much to haul around. Regardless of your decision, all the best.

I don't agree with the if you want a better picture buy a dslr. If you don't know how to frame and take a good picture with the cheapest camera around, then you are not going to be happy or get the full benefits of a dslr. I would suggest going into a store such as best buy or your local ritz type of camera shop and test out many different types and brands. Try out the point and shoots as well. Think about what ones feel comfortable in your hands, are easy to navigate the settings and you could see yourself really getting a lot of use out of. Dslr cameras rarely come with a lens decent enough to be your main lens. Getting one would almost have to be another initial investment over the cost of the camera. Write down the brands of the cameras you like and then go home and do research on them to help your decision. It's a lot easier if you've held the cameras in your hands to understand what you're reading online.

Two suggestions. Consider a mirror less interchangeable lens camera. Second, mosey on over to Steve's Digicams. Great folks over there. Really helpful when I chose my dSLR. (Mirrorless cameras were just starting out when I bought. If I had it to do over again, I'd choose one of those instead.)

A dslr is a great camera. It is a very capable tool when used correctly. To decide Canon, Sony, Nikon is a big decision. All systems a comparable to one another, but not interchangeable (although some adapters exist). The entry level dslr a similar to on another. You will be spending the majority of your money on lenses. Here again, they are all comparable, but research to see what you like.

I will say in a Nikon guy and love my d7000. My dad carries Canon and his shots are superb, too. Most importantly is to know how to use what you are buying. They are capable of great shots, but if you are using full auto, just get a nice point and shoot. It will save you a bundle.

Once you decide on a system, you get into lenses, flash, filters, bags, cleaning tools, meters, and many more obsessively cool hobby gadgets.

Have fun!!!

I just took the plunge and got a Nikon D3100. I gave it a trial run in Thursday and absolutely love it.

Corinna

I have to highly agree with the people that have said, you don't have to have a DSLR to get great images. I myself own 3 Canon DSLR Cameras, numerous lenses & flashes etc... I guess you could say that I am a professional since I do make my living using my cameras.

IF you really want to buy a DSLR camera then I would recommend the Canon Rebel. I have owned both Canon & Nikon cameras & now have only Canon cameras. I find their customer service to be superior.

That being said, I hate being a slave to my camera on vacation. Especially on our cruises. I don't want to have to worry about someone stealing my camera that I have to leave behind on the beach for fear that it might get wet or sandy. So... this year I bought the new waterproof Canon D20. Which is esentially a Canon Powershot only with the Waterproof feature. I LOVED this little camera for our cruise vacation!!! I got awesome pictures & video using this little camera. The only place that I Will fault this camera, along with any other point & shoot camera, is in low light situations such as the dining rooms at night. However, if you don't know how to use your DSLR settings correctly along with good lenses, you will still have trouble in low light situations.

I love my little Canon D20 so much that I almost carry it exclusively on vacation even in the Disney parks. It's so much lighter & smaller than the DSLR cameras. You can see numerous examples of the pictures that I have taken using the Canon D20 on my trip report website at: http://fantasyhalloween2012.tradingtales.com
Look specifically at the trip report days 4 & 5. ALL of the pictures & video taken on the beaches at Maya Chan & Nachi-Cocom were taken exclusively with my Canon D20. I really do love this little camera.

Best of luck deciding & whatever you decide you will have an amazing vacation & make many, many magical memories!!!

Here's one other thing to consider that I haven't seen mentioned. Each style camera has its pros and cons. Point and shoots are great to keep in a pocket just in case. However, they are severely limited in the distance they can take a picture. The typical lense interchangeable dslrs are bigger but the reach out and touch distance is much much greater.

For example. On the Fantasy Maiden, I had both my Sea life point and shoot and my Nikon D3000. Standing at Margaritraville, with both the Magic and Fantasy tied to the pier in Cozumel, I used my Nikon and got really detailed pictures of the 2 side by side. Prob about 1/2 mile. For giggles I took out my Sea life and it didn't come anywhere near what the DSLR did. The overall photo quality itself as far as defects were roughly the same however more detail was avail from the Nikon. And that was with a 200 mm lense. The 300 mm lense would have been even more detailed. The other advantage is that along with what other said is that you can get different lenses for different things and settings.

What I would do is look hard at what you want the camera to do, with what budget and make a decision from there.

Please remember Nikon dx camera are cropped sensors. Therefore you 200mm is closer to 350mm full frame fx cameras. This is true at wide angle too, so at 12mm you are closer to 18-20mm.

This is true for anything than full frame camera with all manufacturers. You has to look at the sensor size.

I recently purchased a sony A57 and I love it. I was first drawn to it because of the continuous auto-focus which allows for amazing high-def video. It's so nice to have video and stills on one camera. It also takes amazing photos. I'm a novice photographer and the auto settings and live-view features make it so easy to take very professional, artistic looking shots. In a way it functions as a point and shoot but with higher quality results. The more advanced features are pretty easy to figure out as well as there are tips and how-to guides right on the LCD screen. It's also affordable at around $500-600 with basic lens kit.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter