Driving to the Parks

KathylovesPooh

Mouseketeer
We just assumed since we were staying on-site that we would use the bus transportation as we have in the past. But we will have a car and I've seen some DISers suggest driving (except to MK) is the preferred route. We will be going to MGM and EPCOT in the afternoons - does this make a difference. What about leaving Fantasmic and Illuminations - is it better to take the bus back or drive?

This subject always brings up different points of view. We never rent a car when at WDW. Disney provides all the transportation we need to get anywhere we want within WDW. As you noted, it makes no sense to drive to the MK anyway since you have to park at the TTC and either boat or monorail over. Disney buses drop you off right at the park entrances, including the Magic Kingdom. When I am on vacation the last thing I want to do is drive, especially since I don't know the area. Sure the buses get crowded at peak times. I cannot believe that it's any better trying to leave with several hundred other cars at the same time. The best thing to do is avoid peak times like park closings. Hang around the park and shop or people watch for a while. We did this in June after Wishes at the MK. We sat on a bench by the castle and by the time we got to the bus station it was very peaceful.
If you drive to any theme park later in the day you will likely be far back from the entrance so add on the time of a tram ride.
Another thing to think of now.....with gas prices sky high why bother when Disney will take care of your transportation needs for free?
Take your time and enjoy your trip. This "hurry up" mentality today is crazy. Do we really need to drive to (maybe) save a few minutes when it's not really necessary?

As a family that always drives, here's why we use our car.

Over the course of the entire trip, it just saves time.

Using the busses/boats/etc. are great if you want to go to one of the parks; there are buses that go directly there. But if you want to go someplace else on Disney property from your hotel, it almost always involves a bus transfer.

On a previous trip, my husband had a seminar to attend elswhere off site. We had driven down to Disney from NJ, but were staying at AllStar. He took the car to go to the seminar because we thought "No problem, the kids and I will just use the busses to go play mini-golf in the morning, return to the hotel after and then we'll be together to hit the park in the afternoon". Let me preface by saying that the day before, we had gone to Fantasia Gardens by car from All Star and it took about 10 minutes to drive.

I found out I needed to transfer at DTD to get to Fantasia Gardens from the All Star. Long story short...between bus travel time and waiting time it took my kids and I 90 minutes to get from All Star to golf. I couldn't bear another 90 minute trip back, so I asked the CM there about a better way. He told us to walk over to the Swan/Dolphin, take the boat to Epcot and then grab a bus back to All Star. Faster? yes...only an hour.

Since I knew it was 10 minutes by car, I was disgusted that a little over 2 hours of my vacation was wasted away travelling.

Monorail is great, the occasional bus or boat fine. But the majority of the time, we prefer our car.

The biggest reason for us to drive was the kids aged 6 and 2. For the 2yo we needed the stroller and all the other assorted items that come along with a 2yo. Getting on the bus at the end of the day with two tired kids, stroller, diaper bag, and park purchases is a hassle. With a car it is all dumped in the trunk (except the kids) and we are on our way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!