• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving to NC ... then WDW - Help!!

Princess_Eeyore

Mouseketeer
Hello

I am hoping that someone who has driven through Fort Eerie to Orlando can give us a few pointers ... I have some maps printed but I would like any advice - I am hoping for good weather as I hear that the 77/79/95 route can be difficult in winter weather conditions! Any tips will be much apprecited ... we leave home around 4am and will be at the border by 6am ... so we will be travelling mostly during daylight! Hope to hear from you ... Thanks!

We are doing the same route in december(even stopping in Charlotte,NC so the oldest DS can visit some NASCAR sites)So I am also interested any tips anyone pass along.I dont know whether you have a trip tik from the CAA but there are a few construction zones marked on ours.
Just after you pass over in Fort Erie there is construction-traffic maintained
Fredonia,NY-traffic maintained
Just passed Meadville,PA-traffic maintained
PA-W.VA border-just before here rough road
OBEY the posted speed limit in SummersvilleW.VA-this is how this little pays their bills
Near the welcome centre in VA-delays likely
From Wytheville,VA-Charlotte,NC there are 4 posted construction sites-delays likely
I-95 andI-10 in Florida delays likely
there are two posted construction areas between Jacksonville and daytona-delays expected
I-4 just before Lake Helen-traffic maintained

This Trip-Tik was made last week so it is supposed to be up to date.
hope this helps a little

Thanks for the info ... I do not have a trip tik from CAA - do you have to be a member to get one? Seems like a few constructions and delays ... does it tell you how long it takes to Charlotte, NC fom Fort Erie ? We are going to Charlotte too :D
Hope you have a great trip - need pixie dust for good driving conditions :duck:

I just got back today from WDW and we travelled down and back on the 79/77/26/95 route. Don't worry about the construction. We drove down on Thursday (11/6) and Friday (11/7) and although there are many construction zones none of them seem to be actively being worked. Even the 35 mile long construction zone south of Jacksonville on I95 had traffic moving at the speed limit. The only place we were actually slowed by construction was on I4 in Orlando. Otherwise traffic was great. I left the cruise control set at 120 most of the way.

You need to be a CAA member to get a trip tik but I wouldn't bother. I used MSN mappoint to create directions but my wife used a RandMcNally road atlas that we bought at Walmart for the actual navigation. The scale was good and it was easier to handle than a folding map. The RandMcNally map also has all of the exit numbers listed on it which helps in gauging distance.

My guess is that you could reach Charlotte in around 10 hours from the border.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Chris

Thanks Chris ... great info! I think I will pick up one of those RandMcNally road atlas . Can you also tell me approx how much we need for tolls ... is it better to have change? Hopefully traffic is not too bad since we are leaving the days before thanksgiving :confused:
Thanks again :sunny:

If I remember correctly there was a $.50 toll on I190, $2.10 on I90, $.25 on I77 and then a $1.25 on I77. There was also a $2.50 USD/$3.50 CDN toll on the Peace Bridge coming back into Canada.

It is nice to have a few quarters because those toll boths have exact change lanes but besides that it doesn't matter too much since all of the others are staffed.

You also asked about weather and the roads through WV and VA. It was rainy and foggy for most of our trip down and if you did get snow I could see how this part of the trip would be slower but even if it takes you twice as long it is only an extra 3 or 4 hours.

Chris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter