Driving tips needed NY to WDW

NandP

Nick D DIS Veteran DVC-BCV
I am from NY at the crossroads of Rt84 and the NYS Thruway.. and we are planning on driving down to Disney in April... Any tips on a route? Planning on leaving around 4am.

Stay with I95 or is it a good Idea to use US81 till you get past the DC area? How is the transition from 81 to 95?

Any other tips on a route?

Our sleepover schedule is:
Staying in Santee, SC on the way down, and Fayettville, NC on the way back... sound good???

Any input would be appreciated....

Several times we have stayed at Clark's in Santee. If you stop at the SC Welcome Center, pick up a hotel guide. There is usually a coupon for Clark's in it. There is a restaurant on the property where we have had both breakfast & dinner. I wouldn't hesitate to stay or eat there again.

Next door, on the same side of the road, is the Santee Country Store. It represents small town America :)! We always walk out with something!

Have fun & travel safely!

It's been 10 years since we last drove to FL from NY.

We took 95 for the most part, but I do remember taking a different route around the DC area. We belonged to AAA at the time, and had a TripTik that showed the best way to avoid the DC traffic. It may be worth joining a motor club for the mapping that they provide, as well as some lodging discounts that you may be able to take advantage of.

We usually stopped in Florence, SC. I believe that there's a Hampton Inn in the vicinity.

I live in Northern Virginia and right, now there are two major bottlenecks. I recommend avoiding them, if you can or be prepared for possible (probable) back-ups.

1. Interstate 95/495-the Washington Beltway. Avoid the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. The bridge is 3 lanes and the beltway is 4 lanes, so there is generally a slow- down as beltway traffic merges into the bridge. The inner loop often has a several mile back-up because of this. Also, a new bridge is under construction. Occasionally, there are lane closures related to the construction of the new bridge. The bridge construction is on the outer loop which is the route you would take on your way back to NY, if you take I-95.

2. The intersection of the beltway and I-95 south at Springfield, VA-aka the "Mixing Bowl". This is one of the ten most dangerous intersections in the country and is currently under a major construction/improvement project. While the back-ups haven't been as bad as originally thought, they can be long and slow with lane closures.

If you can figure out a way to avoid the DC area and get on I-95 someplace after the Woodbridge-Quantico, VA area south of DC, I would try it.

Also, for your timing purposes- DC rush hours are from approx. 7 AM-9:30 AM and 3:30 PM-7:00 PM. Guaranteed that traffic in the above mentioned two areas, and other areas as well, will be at almost a standstill.

We live just 10 minutes from you, nandP! We drove this summer. We took the NJ Parkway to the NJ turnpike. Just a guide for you: We left at 10:00am, made it past DC within 3-3 1/2
hours, stop about 1/2 hour into VA to eat lunch, than stopped for 1 hour somewhere in NC for dinner. We arrived at Santee, SC at 11:00pm. We stayed at the Santee Holiday Inn. It was $50 for the night and it was very nice(also clean). From Santee, we still had a 6 1/2 drive to Disney. You have to anticipate traffic in Fla. at Jacksonville, Daytona and Rt.4. Also, make sure you get EZ Pass. You avoid alot of traffic! One last thing, if your leaving on a Friday or Saturday, book you overnight ahead of time. We got stuck on the way back to Jersey and had to drive right through because every hotel was sold out along 95 for 4 states.

Thanks a bunch... great details on times... I was looking for just that

Straughn has it pretty much on the money--except I'd have the AM rush starting at 6:00.
We always leave S. Central PA. at 4:00 AM. By 6:00 we're just past the mixing bowl area and heading into friendlier traffic. But the line of cars coming from VA into DC even at 6:00 has to be seen to be believed!!
Traffic never really ends in DC--just avoid those rush hours if at all possible. We've gone down to Williamsburg VA. many times and try to time the DC area at 10:30 AM or so. Still tons of traffic, but manageable.

Hi--
We just got back from WDW--
took 84 to 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 on the way down. Beautiful drive, and no traffic. I would avoid it if you don't like driving with trucks, though-- lots of them on a 2 lane (sometimes 3 lane) route. Took 95 home to MA-- the first route was about 70 miles longer, but we didn't have to deal with the Tappan Zee or GW Bridge on a Friday afternoon.
Have a safe trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter