• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving Mileage from Chicago

luveeyore2

Illinois Suburbanite
Has anyone driven to WDW from the Chicago area? I am trying to determine how long its going to take us to drive down in Sept.

I haven't driven to Orlando in years, but the last time we did drive there it took us about 19 to 20 hours if I remember correctly.

It takes us about 21 to 22 hours from the Milwaukee area. I would guess around 20 for you.

I've driven from Champaign - about 3 hours south of Chicago. It will take you two good days of driving.

We live just south of Chi town and I would HIGHLY recommend you keep your eyes peeled for any good deals on flights. Last year we drove down, and when we figured in $700 for tune-up, etc for the van to ensure we would make it safely, $400 for gas and $150 for the food/camping fees for the way down (we broke it up into two days) we could have flown for half of that, with a lot fewer headaches.
We passed up a deal for 4 roundtrip tickets for $540, and I am still kicking myself in the butt for not just doing it.
If there is a reason why you can't fly (or just don't want to) then by all means don't. Just weight your options carefully and consider the time lost by driving, especially with small kids.
The money usually ends up within a hundred dollars or so between the two means of getting there, especially when travelling from so far.
Good luck!

I'll just have to kick in also (again I don't know your particulars)...but I just booked $132 round trip fare from OHare to Orlando for our November trip through the Delta website. It beats driving anyday in my opinion - we would easily spend that in gas, hotels, and meals on the road....to say nothing of what a 20 hour car drive can do to you.

Is flying at all an option for you?

We've flown to Orlando a few times, driven straight through from Chicago in 22 hours and we've also stopped for the night in GA at a hotel arranged beforehand through Priceline. ($3 a night - can't beat that). In our experience (with 3 kids under 5) it's easier to drive than to fly. Sure, sometimes they whine and we all get a little stir crazy, but try getting three kids through the airport (with carseats, gate check strollers, carry-ons, juice cups, diaper bags, etc.) and onto the plane and you'll see what I mean. Keeping everyone quiet and happy on the plane is a feat in itself. And forget about retrieving the luggage from Carousel A and then trying to board the shuttle bus to the car rental agency - by then I'm ready to cry and go home!

One time we got $59 one way fares on Southwest but, by the time you figured in taxes and rental car, it turned out to be pretty expensive. We could have driven for half that amount.

The easiest so far has been to schedule a hotel stay half way through (GA on the way down and TN on the way back) and hope for the best. Fortunately we've all kept our sanity and we actually have a few "favorite" rest areas along the way. Good luck whatever you decide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter