• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving from south jersey....need some planning help.

your friend

Mouseketeer
We are planning to drive on a Friday leaving South Jersey at approx. 3 or 4pm. Would I be better off using 301 to Richmond as opposed to I-95?

Ok - we often have to drive down that (think Middletown/301 area below Christiana Mall) way and it never fails that no matter the time of day or day of the week we seem to hit heavy traffic just into VA. We almost always go down 301 S and hit 95 just above Richmond, I think not far north of Kings Dominion. Anyway - yes there are lights, yes you are going thru some towns. No I've never been in stop & go traffic.
If you do go down 301 from your way, there will be construction (Rt. 1 from 301 in MD connection) on 896 (route from Rt. 1 south to 301 South), or you can take the Middletown exit off of 1 South and go thru downtown Middletown which can be worse than DC anyday! But you'll go by 2 WaWa's, 2 starbucks, a Brusters and fast food places if the kids are hungry. 896 skirting Middletown will get you 1 starbucks, WAWA, Royal Farms, chick fil a, wendys, taco bell, kfc & mc'ds. After Middletown you won't find anything (except us - we live along this stretch) until you hit the Kent Island area.

FYI 95 South is notoriously ugly in the general area of the Rt. 1 exit/DE & MD state lines. If you are coming over the Del Memorial I'd slide right down 13 to 1.
Of course, once you are past Annapolis and headed down 301 south and Waldorf way there will be plenty of places to stop if need be. Plus there is a rest area just before the (Nice Memorial?) bridge over the Potomac.
Enjoy your ride down from South Jersey (I'm Cinnaminson born/Woodstown raised myself:) )

I would take I-95 but realizing like @easyas123 stated that traffic around DE & MD line could be unpredictable along with traffic between D.C. and Fredricksburg, VA. When you get to Richmond, I would take and recommend I-295 around Richmond instead of I-95 through Richmond.

I would not recommend 301 at all. It's full of small towns and stop lights. Just make sure you hit the DC area between 9:30am and about 2pm and you should be OK. But as was mentioned, Waze or google maps will steer you around traffic.

I live in the DC area and I think google maps is better/quicker for alerting you to traffic and rerouting than Waze for the DC metro area. But both work.

I would not recommend 301 at all. It's full of small towns and stop lights. Just make sure you hit the DC area between 9:30am and about 2pm and you should be OK. But as was mentioned, Waze or google maps will steer you around traffic.

I live in the DC area and I think google maps is better/quicker for alerting you to traffic and rerouting than Waze for the DC metro area. But both work.

Trust me I don't want to take 301:rotfl2:. However based on the fact that my wife will not take off early we would be leaving south jersey around 3pm. Its not ideal that's why the 301 route may be the best option. Trust me this has been an ongoing debate in our house.

Not trying to be a smart a$$ at all- but I would follow the recommendation of Waze. It will account for expected traffic and any road closures and I find it to be very accurate.

We usually follow waze. I am the co pilot so I am constantly looking at google maps. I think waze gets its info from google unless that has changed. But one year we were headed I think to the autotrain. I kept looking and waze had us taking the east loop. I looked at google, looked again and told my dh to just go straight. It was around 10:30-11am. No traffic, yet waze still had not updated.

So while we drive with waze but we always make sure to check with google.

Either way you guys end up going - safe travels & I hope you don't hit traffic!
Enjoy your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter