• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving From NJ

mcr5298

DIS Veteran
We are driving down to Disney for the first time. There are five of us going Easter week and because the airfare is so expensive we decided to drive.

We are leaving from around the Trenton area.

Does anyone know any good links about the drive down?
Any tips?
Is there only one route down?

Thanks for your help.

Joe

I believe Washington should be avoided at "rushhour" if at all possible. It's probably worth visiting your local AAA if you are a member to get a map and route planner. You can print off directions/instuctions from http://www.mapquest.com if you have zip codes for both ends of the trip. I think it's pretty much I95 South then take I4 when you get into Fl .

Not sure if you were planning to, but it's worth thinking about taking a break (ie hotel for the night) just to get some sleep. Even if you find a motel about 1 AM, get up at 7AM and back on the road it's easy to think you're ok to drive when you are in fact not. The driver only needs to nod off for a few seconds while driving to cause an accident. Afew hours sleep should reduce that risk dramatically.

Some people do not like I-95 because of traffic problems, but from NJ it is truly the straightest route, then I4 to Tampa. It is fool-proof. The trip takes around 18 hours from Bergen County, so figure an hour less for you.

The one piece of advice I give all drivers is that you should leave either late at night (11:00 or 12:00) or very early (3:00 or 4:00) so that you are through the DC area before the traffic becomes problematic. That also gives you the benefit of sleeping children for (at least) 6-7 hours. I would also take the Richmond bypass (I-295) to avoid the problems associated with driving through Richmond.

If you do it this way, you can probably hand the car off to the other driver for at least one of the Carolinas thhen continue through on to Orlando.

Good luck with your trip!

Hi-
We live on Long Island and make the drive every time we go- We are also a family of 5 and airfare is just too much $$. Besides, we like the drive (sounds crazy buts it's part of the whole trip!) We take 95 down the entire way. Here is a link to a great I-95 website that lists hotels, gas, food, construction date, etc. I copy it and bring it along. We always make one stop overnight, usually in the Santee, SC area or Brunswick, GA area depending on what time we've left New York. This way, when we get up in the morning and get in the car, we are at the resort by lunchtime-ish. Its great.
Please feel free to email directly with any questions. Happy traveling!!

www.usastar.com/I95/homepage.htm
:smooth: :smooth:

mcr5298 -

I am from the same area. Went to college in Lawrenceville - Rider University!

Anyway, I find that taking 95 through PA is better than going 295 or the turnpike in NJ. Of course avoid Wash area during rush hour. Figure it will take about 3 hours to get to DC, so plan accordingly.

We live in Hamilton and drive down most times. We usually leave on a Sat. or Sun. at 5 AM. Taking 295 works well for us at that time. We usually push and stop at the SC/GA border, but we don't have young children. There is an alternate route going west into PA and then south, that avoids 95 completly, but it is 3-4 hours longer.

We've done this route too many times to count. NJ Turnpike to 95 is the most direct and except the Washington area, usually moves. ( and the tolls) We used to drive straight through, but have found it is better to stop - usually Santee, SC at the Hampton Inn on the way there, Emporia, VA on the way back. Breakfast and a shower do wonders for the soul.

The last few times we've taken 81 in PA instead. This avoids Baltimore and Washington altogether. I think 81 to 77 but I'm not sure...I can check my map if you want to know. Then you have the option of cutting back over to 95 in VA or right at Santee, SC. and continuing down 95 to WDW. This way is slightly longer in miles but takes the same amount of time. You avoid the tolls, but gas was a little more expensive so it all works out about the same.

We always drive as well and usually do it in one straight shot. We leave home at 2am and arrive at WDW at 10pm so 20 hours for us door to door. DH and I each take turns driving and find that it really is an easy drive. We used to leave around dinner time and drive overnight but we find that keeping to a more regular (but extended) daily routine works better for us. When we drive overnight we arrive tired while the kids are raring to go since they were able to get more sleep in the car.

I know it was mentioned that you should take the I-295 bypass in Richmond but I have to disagree. Unless you are travelling through Richmond during rush hour it just isn't worth it. We have never encountered any traffic at all in Richmond (we usually go through around 1pm) and find it adds time to the trip for nothing. Just my opinion. The same goes for the I-295 connector in Jacksonville. Unless it is rush hour just stick to I-95.

Have a safe journey.

I'm in Hamilton too! Let's have a Trenton area DIS meet! :)

We've tried leaving at night & it just doesn't work for us. We're too tired! Instead, we leave around 8:30 or 9 AM. DS 2 is ok for a few hours, then we take a snack break & he naps when we get back in the car.

We're driving in Feb/march & staying overnight somewhere.

If you are not set on driving, Amtrak has great rates now. Buy one-get one free for adults and kids are half price. Use code h255. I priced it from Phila and the cost was $132 total for two adults. The train leaves at 8pm and arrives in Sanford the next afternoon. Including the cost of hotels on the trip down, I couldn't drive for that price.

I decided to book the auto-train though. Got a price of $968 for 6 of us plus our van (which was $524) ( Since we are going for more than 2 weeks I figured it would be cost effective to bring our own van) The auto train leaves from Lorton, VA (just south of Washington) at 4pm and arrives in Sanford at 8am.

Steve

We used to drive down at Easter every year but have flown for the past 5 or 6 years. Anyway, avoid the DC Beltway from 3 to 7:30PM. We used to leave at 1 PM on Thursday due to work so that would always get us there at the dreaded time. We found we saved time by taking 301 off 95 in DE, over Annapolis Bridge to 50-301 and then 301 down to VA where it joins 95(either north or south of Richmond again depending on time) There are lights on 301 but we'd do anything to avoid the Beltway at rush hour. If you can start earlier then 95 is the way to go,
A word of warning, if you intended to stop, make a reservation before you leave. One time we didn't and had an awful time trying to find a place to stay. There is heavy traffic going down at Easter and also returning the Saturday after Easter and EVERYONE seems to be lokking for a room in SC and GA.
If you have the time, we found the best way to go was the Cape May Lewes Ferry down 13, over the Bay Bridge Tunnel and then on to Emporia, Va. The ferry ride is nice and it cuts the driving time down but the total time is about the same. If you decide to go this way you definitely need a ferry reservation that weekend. It's obviously great for us but it might be too out of the way for you.

I-95 is the straightest way but check AAA before committing. Construction & accidents can bring I-95 to a standstill south of Washington all the way down to North Carolina. Plan in advance, book hotels in advance.

Alternatives...did you check flights out of Baltimore or Washington? Since its on your way anyway if you drive you might find affordable fares by looking at alternative airports. I'd also check Newark and especially LaGuardia (Delta) followed by JFK (Jet Blue, Spirit). Make a point of looking about 60 days in advance of your trip and you may hit a sale.

Someone mentioned taking what I would guess would start as I-76 over I-81 down to I-77 picking I-85 through Atlanta thence to I-75 down into Florida...you COULD go all the way to Tampa and pick up I-4 but I think there is a cut off higher up that would save you some time. The nice thing about using I-81 & I-85 is that heavy traffic is rare until you hit Atlanta. Or I guess you could take I-77 all the way over to I-95 and continue as normal.

We have driven down there so many times I've lost count. Someone suggested leaving very early in the morning to avoid the DC beltway and we most definatly agree. You do not want to hit that during rush hour. We are from S. Jersey and we try to leave home around 4 AM. On our last trip we left home at 4 Am. We made it to Savannah, Ga. by 4 PM and stopped for the night. That's another thing we like about leaving that hour of the morning, we get to stop a little earlier in the day for a nice dinner and quite a bit of rest. We left around 7 AM. the next morning and arrived at Disney around noon. We really were't tired and had pretty much a full day ahead of us.

Have fun,
Michele

This is what you need to do - don't take 95, take 295 to exit 24B, pick me up, get back on 295 and continue on to Disneyworld!

Have to disagree with Michelemouse--we always take the bypass around Richmond and Jacksonville. Never used to, but once we did it, we've never gone thru either city on I-95 again. I-95 thru Jacksonville is particulary galling--
The bypass adds a few miles and a few minutes to your trip--but SOOO much easier on the nerves!!

Hi neighbor.
By now you see many ideas on how to get to WDW. I'll give you one more to think about.
We always go there in Dec. Coming from Wildwood,we leave around 3:30 -4:00 in the morning. The ferry isn't running at that time and we want to be able to stop by at least 5 or 6 in Savanna. We take the Delaware Memorial to I-95. At that hour we really hit no traffic even in the DC area.We can make Savanna by 5 or 6 and spend the night. On this last trip the only slow points were in Fla. After going through Jacksonville there is a long stretch of 95 that is being widened,that stretches close to Datona. That was the ony fly in the ointment for us. If you leave Georga by around 7,you can be at DW by noon. Have a great time and a safe trip!!!

DW wants to drive this trip. We live 40 mins from delaware memorial bridge, what time should we leave? Where should we plan on stopping for the night? How long driving time is it? Its me, dw, and 4yo ds. Wife thinks it will be fun, she wants to stop and see the big ball o twine :-) Me, I just keep checkin for cheaper airfare.

We like to leave around 3:30-4:00 am.This way we seem to miss alot of rush hour traffic through DC. If you drive about 12 hours, not including lunch stops or gas stops, you can make Savanna Georga, which is where we like to stop for the night. There are plenty of motels right off I-95. We choose Hampton Inns.The rooms are nice,clean and there are Cracker Barrel restaurants on property for dinner and breakfast if you like. The next day,if you start out at 7:00 or 8:00,you can make it to Disney World by lunch or so. Remember you can't get there too early,check in isn't till 2:00 or later.Have a great time and a safe trip!!!!

Just wanted to say that even if you get there early, you can still check in. If your room isn't ready, you can still use the pools or go to the parks. Bell services will hold your luggage if you want. If you think you'll get there early & want to swim, just keep a small bag separate. Just remember that your room may not be ready until after 3 (or is it 4 now?)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter