Drive to WDW on I-10 Gulf Coast

LSUmiss

DIS Veteran
We are supposed to drive to WDW this weekend. We leave Saturday. We have done this plenty times, but now we are watching a possible storm development in the gulf. Anyone know if there are any areas along the i10 gulf coast that flood? We will stay on the interstate so I’m just asking about the interstate itself.

I think it's too early to know much about this system.

The only area that I can think of that is even remotely close to flooding is at the LA and MS border at Pearl River and it usually takes a lot of rain for that to happen. Between Gulfport and WDW, I can not think of any other areas on I 10 that ever flood in a non Katrina type event.

We are supposed to drive to WDW this weekend. We leave Saturday. We have done this plenty times, but now we are watching a possible storm development in the gulf. Anyone know if there are any areas along the i10 gulf coast that flood? We will stay on the interstate so I’m just asking about the interstate itself.

Most of the low-lying spots on I-10 are in Louisiana (esp. near Crowley) and Texas, plus a couple in California. Along the Gulf Coast, closures for high water are REALLY rare, but I checked back 20 years to see what I could find. There was a closure after TS Debby (you remember, the one in 2012 that just SAT on Florida for days?), along the lower edge of the Osceola Nat'l Forest east of Lake City, FL (just east of the I-75 interchange) to Sanderson, FL @ US90. I also found a record of a floodwater closure not far east of the Louisiana border in 2016, directly north of Bay St. Louis, but that one only lasted a few hours.

Historically, I-10 through that area is more likely to close due to accidents than weather. I recommend using the WAZE app on your phone to watch for issues on the road ahead.

Most of the low-lying spots on I-10 are in Louisiana (esp. near Crowley) and Texas, plus a couple in California. Along the Gulf Coast, closures for high water are REALLY rare, but I checked back 20 years to see what I could find. There was a closure after TS Debby (you remember, the one in 2012 that just SAT on Florida for days?), along the lower edge of the Osceola Nat'l Forest east of Lake City, FL (just east of the I-75 interchange) to Sanderson, FL @ US90. I also found a record of a floodwater closure not far east of the Louisiana border in 2016, directly north of Bay St. Louis, but that one only lasted a few hours.

Historically, I-10 through that area is more likely to close due to accidents than weather. I recommend using the WAZE app on your phone to watch for issues on the road ahead.
Thanks! We always use WAZE too. Unless it’s an actual hurricane or very strong TS, we will just drive through it. I just wanted to see if there is anything I didn’t know about.

That storm is 95% media hype right now. Keep your plans, check the weather, and use your best judgement.
Yeah I’m not too worried about it as far as storms are concerned unless something changes. I just didn’t know if there were any low areas on I-10 that I am not familiar with more in Mobile area. I’m pretty familiar with between here & MS.

Yeah I’m not too worried about it as far as storms are concerned unless something changes. I just didn’t know if there were any low areas on I-10 that I am not familiar with more in Mobile area. I’m pretty familiar with between here & MS.

The Mobile tunnel can be torture on a good day depending on the time and traffic. Keep an eye on that.

Though avoiding the tunnel can be it's own headache.

The Mobile tunnel can be torture on a good day depending on the time and traffic. Keep an eye on that.

Does it flood? Specifically that’s actually the area I was thinking about. I hope this all goes away b/c now they’re saying we could get a ton of rain like we did in 2016 that flooded a lot of areas here.
At first I was just worried about traveling through it, but now I’m starting to worry about here.

Does it flood? Specifically that’s actually the area I was thinking about. I hope this all goes away b/c now they’re saying we could get a ton of rain like we did in 2016 that flooded a lot of areas here.
At first I was just worried about traveling through it, but now I’m starting to worry about here.

My husband says there are pumps in the tunnel. He's often over there for work and doesn't recall seeing it flooded and I have never heard of the tunnel flooding from the local news.

Will be interested to see what Bob Breck says on his blog abt the storm these next few days.

Worst driving we had from Shreveport in the old days was after Hurricane Ivan took out the Escambia Bay Bridge and they had set up a temporary floating bridge to get cars across the Bay. I-12 flooded a few years ago in the Spring because the median divider didn't let the water through. But it didn't last too long. Not as long as the rest of the area that was flooded for weeks. By Saturday, it could be done and you should be able to see high water.

We sometimes take the bridge around it. Not sure of the highway. It stills puts you out right at the long bridge over the bay so if that’s backed up, it doesn’t help but most of the time it saves time by going around it and getting past the slower moving traffic going through the tunnel.

And I’m here in Orange Beach worried about driving home Friday. You’re braver than I am! We drove through some nasty weather getting here from Orlando today.

And I’m here in Orange Beach worried about driving home Friday. You’re braver than I am! We drove through some nasty weather getting here from Orlando today.
Watching the news now & it’s saying that was part of that low pressure that popped up on the Gulf coast. Now I’m less worried about the drive & more worried about what they saying about the river & rain for here. We could still go & “evacuate” to WDW, but we were boarding our dogs when it was just vacation. Really don’t want to take them with me if it’s not necessary.

Watching the news now & it’s saying that was part of that low pressure that popped up on the Gulf coast. Now I’m less worried about the drive & more worried about what they saying about the river & rain for here. We could still go & “evacuate” to WDW, but we were boarding our dogs when it was just vacation. Really don’t want to take them with me if it’s not necessary.

The river being a foot from the levee top is not what anyone wants to hear.

As for the drive you want to be careful of the winds. It was pretty bad in spots yesterday. I am an anxious traveler, so I worry more than most, though.

The river being a foot from the levee top is not what anyone wants to hear.

As for the drive you want to be careful of the winds. It was pretty bad in spots yesterday. I am an anxious traveler, so I worry more than most, though.
Exactly! And it’s forecasted to be at “flood stage” but still a ft below levee. Too close for comfort for me!! Last night army Corp said they have never had a high river with a storm event, but they think it’ll be ok :oops:! I’m thinking getting out of here might be my safer option. I don’t know if you made it home or if y’all had bad weather where you are, but city already flooded in many areas right now. Said pumps couldn’t keep up. I know that’s nothing new, but if that thing comes here, it’ll be days if this.

Exactly! And it’s forecasted to be at “flood stage” but still a ft below levee. Too close for comfort for me!! Last night army Corp said they have never had a high river with a storm event, but they think it’ll be ok :oops:! I’m thinking getting out of here might be my safer option. I don’t know if you made it home or if y’all had bad weather where you are, but city already flooded in many areas right now. Said pumps couldn’t keep up. I know that’s nothing new, but if that thing comes here, it’ll be days if this.

I see it’s bad in Nola today. The new track shows Lake Charles area landfall. We don’t go through Nola since we take 12.

Thinking we may head home tomorrow afternoon to avoid the big rain bands.

I see it’s bad in Nola today. The new track shows Lake Charles area landfall. We don’t go through Nola since we take 12.

Thinking we may head home tomorrow afternoon to avoid the big rain bands.
That’s puts us on the bad side, though, but should make the drive to FL better. Be safe!

One year we were driving from New Orleans to WDW and then going on to Arkansas afterwards so we had to take the dog. I boarded him at VIPet. https://vipet.net/ they are wonderful.

If you're going you probably want to figure out a route out sooner rather than later. You know how I-10 gets when there's a storm on the horizon. (You really don't want to spend an entire vacation day sitting in NOLA traffic.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter