Drive to Magic Mountain and Valencia?

spendleb

Mouseketeer
Hi all, we have booked to stay at the Hilton in Valencia for one night so we can visit Magic Mountain, what is the drive like from Newport Beach? It looks fairly straightforward on a map, I think I5 or something like that, apart from what I believe is heavy congestion, is it a fairly easy route, no chance of going wrong etc? Also what is Valencia like? Is it a nice place to explore, same with the local area as we will have a day free whilst there?

Cheers,
Simon

72 days to go :cool1:

Yes, the I-5 is pretty straightfoward, though very congested. I personally wouldn't take that route, but mine would be much more confusing for those not from the area, though with significantly less traffic.

Cheers, normally good with directions, can you let me know your way in case we want to try it, either going or coming back to Newport?

ok. I come from a different area than Newport, but I'll do my best. You'll want to get on the NB I-57 (easy from the DL area--just take Ball Road east until you get to it). I would stay on that until reaching the WB 210, which goes through Pasadena (this requires a short time on the EB 60 as the freeways (57 & 60) cross over and are the same road for about a mile). From the 210, take the NB I-5 to Magic Mountain Parkway (for MM-not sure where the Hilton is). Like I said, a bit confusing. If you were to mapquest your trip, it would suggest the I-5. Also, there's a couple of places on the 210 where, if you're not in the right lane, you'll end up on a different freeway.

DH and I drove it during heavy traffic and it was slow, but not terrible. I believe it took about an hour and a half during rush hour. There is not much around Magic Mountain but the area is pretty.

Jen is right about her directions. Taking her route is a lot less congested because you're essentially going around the LA traffic. There is one section on the 210 that you need to stay on the right hand side. This will take you through the La Canada/Flintridge area. If not, you'll end up going straight and it turns into the 134, which is ok but you may end up hitting traffic in Burbank near the Media Center.

We drive the 210 several times a year in going from NorCal to AZ. It's generally either mostly clear or full of fast-flowing congestion. Sometimes it bogs down, but avoid rush hour and the lunch hours and it should be an easy drive.

It can be slightly tricky getting on the 210 with the 57/60 mingling, but it's not bad. Once on the 210 it's so simple I didn't even notice the 134 split off until accidentally taking it a few months ago. It's easy to avoid if you're not zoning out like I was...or you may want to take it and go stop off at the LA Zoo on your way.

I think you can see the Valencia Hilton from the Fwy.

We'll be driving the MM-DL route down and back this weekend for a trip to DL, so I'll keep an eye out for anything of note.

We will be staying near Universal for a couple of nights, and then some of us will drive to MM while DS and I take the subway/bus to DLH. It looks like it takes a little over 2 hours for the bus trip. How long to get to MM from Hollywood around 9 am on a Tuesday? I'm thinking maybe an hour?

karylrocks said:
How long to get to MM from Hollywood around 9 am on a Tuesday? I'm thinking maybe an hour?
Traffic should be going the other way into LA so it shouldn't be so bad. Also, the rush hour would be tapering off. I would imagine a 30 minute drive(max) to Magic Mountain.

We are used to be up and away early whilst on vacation, plus we have a 3 year old who is awake by 7am anyway, is this going to prove a problem with driving?, we would normally be on the road by 8am, presumably we will hit the worst traffic, I know people keep saying to avoid the rush hours but I can't see how we can being on vacation and wanting to get as much in as possible?

I know what you mean. My DD is up by 6:00 AM and DS shortly thereafter. That's ok with us because we're morning people. If you plan correctly, you can minimize the time you are subjected to LA traffic. Meaning, taking other routes to your destination, leaving earlier than expected, or pehaps later than you would normally plan. It can be done but it can be tough as well. If you give us an idea of where you're travelling on the days you're here, let us know and we'll be able to offer a suggestion as to the "best" route possible.

Hi thanks for that, our itiniary at the moment is as follows, there are a few free days where we just want to explore and see as much as possible :-

Thurs 28th April Fly to LA and transfer to Newport Beach
Friday 29th Collect Car and then Free Day
Saturday 30th Disneyland
Sunday 1st May Free
Monday 2nd Knotts Berry
Tuesday 3rd CA
Wednesday 4th Free - tour Valencia area (staying at the Hilton Garden Inn for one night)
Thursday 5th Magic Mountain
Friday 6th Disneyland
Saturday 7th Travel to San Diego
Sunday 8th Free
Monday 9th San Diego Zoo
Tuesday 10th Free
Wednesday 11th Sea World
Thursday 12th Return Car & Fly Home

spendleb said:
Hi thanks for that, our itiniary at the moment is as follows, there are a few free days where we just want to explore and see as much as possible :-

Thurs 28th April Fly to LA and transfer to Newport Beach
Friday 29th Collect Car and then Free Day
Saturday 30th Disneyland
Sunday 1st May Free
Monday 2nd Knotts Berry
Tuesday 3rd CA
Wednesday 4th Free - tour Valencia area (staying at the Hilton Garden Inn for one night)
Thursday 5th Magic Mountain
Friday 6th Disneyland
Sunday 8th Free
Monday 9th San Diego Zoo
Tuesday 10th Free
Wednesday 11th Sea World
Thursday 12th Return Car & Fly Home
Do you know what time are your arrival and departures into LAX yet? Nonetheless, here's a couple of suggestions:
For Valencia, if you don't have to be there early, try waiting until after say 10AM to drive. You can take the 57 North, 210 West, and 5 North. This route takes you on the outskirts of LA and would avoid several stretches of the 5 freeway that gets congested as you get closer to LA.
I'm not familiar with the traffic from Anaheim to San Diego. I would suspect that driving during non-rush hour traffic would yield little to no congestion. Are you flying out of LAX on your return trip or in San Diego?

Hi, we arrive in LAX at 5.25pm on the 28th but have booked the Super Shuttle to Newport Beach as we collect the car the following morning from the Marriot in Newport Beach.

Flying home we are flying from San Diego at 11am.

By the time you claim your baggage, clear customs, and get your rental car, you would probably be on road by 7PM. Traffic will be tailing off by then and be tolerable. You should be fine...

Thank you! We're looking forward to our trip. You have a good time here in CA as well. My invitation is open if you need help navigating around LA.

We may be driving from the Disneyland Hotel to Magic Mountain during the middle of the week. We don't want to get there too late, but would prefer to miss the worst of the morning traffic. Any suggestions on what time to depart and which route would be the best?

Sunday 8th Free
Monday 9th San Diego Zoo
Tuesday 10th Free
Wednesday 11th Sea World
While your in San Diego, you simply can't miss the San Diego Wild Animal Park!! They are run by the San Diego Zoologcal Society (one of the best in the world) and I much prefer it to the zoo. It's in Escondido along I-15 whereas the zoo is almost in downtown. I've had a zoological membership for nearly 20 years (yep, I'm a native! :sunny: )

Get there early, take the earliest tram ride you can (40-50 minutes) and sit as close to the driver as possible. The drivers are WONDERFUL - full of knowledge about all the animals, who's pregnant, who's been quarantined for attitude, anything you want to know about the animals you're seeing. The earlier you go, the more the animals are moving around. That also goes for the Twilight Tram - really nice when the sun is setting.

If you're a photography buff, you'll want to look into the Photo Caravan - they put about 8 people into a stake-bed truck and drive you right in to the plains filled with animals. The animals are completely used to the trucks, so they're not shy. My friend had a giraffe lick her camera (eww :rotfl: ) and she could hear the cheetahs purring. It's really intense and you won't get better amateur pictures anywhere. Here's the link
HTML:
http://www.sandiegozoo.org/calendar/wap_photo_caravan.html
Don't get me wrong - the zoo is awesome and is also not to be missed. Just want to make sure you don't miss out on the WAP - there's not another park like it in the world, and to miss it when you're so close would be a crime.

Enjoy your trip to my wonderful state!!! :sunny: :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter