Drinkers/smokers

PrincessINTraining

Earning My Ears
How do you feel about the lack convenience of alcohol/lighters in Disney World. As you know, only certain parks allow alcohol and even getting them at hotels can be rough. To even purchase a lighter in one of the many Resorts you have to ask an attendant in the gift shop for one behind the counter and you must have a license to prove you are 18 or older. Do you think this is drastic or a good way to keep Disney World "clean" and "pure?" Does anyone have any stories about some of these inconvenience that you have experienced while on vacation?

Other than MK there is NO lack of alcohol at Disney World. Not sure where you are getting that idea from. :confused3 There is alchohol at every park and every resort other than MK.

It can be a pain, but with planning, it can be easily overcome.
Although i don't drink alcohol, I do smoke, and make sure that i am actually in a DSA when i do smoke, but for the most part, while at the Dis i smoke a lot less than at home.

Alcohol shouldn't be a problem though.. It is at the resorts, in the gift shop, in the restaurants, by the pools at the lounge bar. And there is a delivery service as well.

As another poster said, except for MK, alcohol is served at all of the parks and resorts (as far as I know).

Regarding smoking, I actually appreciate WDW having the smokers stay in "designated smoking areas". I'm pretty allergic to cigarette smoke, and one of my pet peeves is the folks who walk along with lit cigarettes at their sides (without regard who they might be next to -- I'm always afraid I'm going to bump into someone's cigarette!). Regarding the matches/lighter problem, I can't provide much input there. As long as they're available (even if kept behind the counter), I think that's okay.

You know, WDW doesn't even sell chewing gum! That's probably a way to keep their streets cleaner. I can't blame them for wanting to keep things neat and tidy -- WDW is so much cleaner than other amusement parks I've been to -- it's one of the reasons I like going there!

I don't think they made it any more drastic than to be expected anywhere else. Just like they don't sell gum either... no biggie, just bring your own or get it elsewhere. I don't smoke, but there are usually a couple on our trips. I was pleased to see on our last trip that a cast member was chasing after a man who was smoking as he was walking about Hollywood Studios. Its one thing to have the rule, its a whole other to enforce it. :thumbsup2 I think Disney's policy on the matter is spot on. :wizard:

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm actually writing a paper about the convenience of different things at DW and i was looking for input just like this! If you have any other stories concerning conveniences/inconveniences that you noticed while looking at the parks, please let me know! The gum one was good, but I'm sure theres tons more.

I really wish they would sell alcohol in MK. Especially during the night parade/ wishes. I really get peeved when people say they are allergic to cigarette smoke. No you are not, you just don't like it. You may have athsma but that's not the same as being allergic.
Back to the inconvienice thing...
The fact that they don't open more kiosks for alcohol the hour or so before Illuminations. I seriously waited in line for 45 minutes while my friend who was holding our spot waited for me. He was gonna go get one after me but it took so long that we just shared one.

alchol is plentiful/ dont forget about convinece stores also.. 2 gas stations have all your smoking needs and they are regularly priced.

I really get peeved when people say they are allergic to cigarette smoke. No you are not, you just don't like it. You may have athsma but that's not the same as being allergic.

Please don't assume that I don't want people smoking cigarettes by me just because I don't "like" it. I have severe allergies and two of my children have allergies and asthma. As a result our lungs are irritated by smoke. When we are around someone who chooses to ignore the rules and smoke outside a designated area, thus subjecting us to second-hand smoke, I get to spend time on a bench with two children sucking on inhalers.

I really wish they would sell alcohol in MK. Especially during the night parade/ wishes. I really get peeved when people say they are allergic to cigarette smoke. No you are not, you just don't like it. You may have athsma but that's not the same as being allergic.

Congrats on being an expert on my own medical needs. Cigarette smoke doesn't just "smell yucky" to me. I get migraine headaches and get sick to my stomach. That's way more than just "not liking it."

Congrats on being an expert on my own medical needs. Cigarette smoke doesn't just "smell yucky" to me. I get migraine headaches and get sick to my stomach. That's way more than just "not liking it."

Agree, my child has been tested by his allergist and was found to be 100% allergic to tabacco, ash from any burned object and many other things which are found in ciggaretts and the smoke from them. If you have just smoked and touch him with the had you held your cigg in he will have a very large and itchy rash. I do not like the smell of the smoke, but for him it could be a very big deal. We also respect any adult smokers right to do what they wish and we take note of smoking areas and avoid them. I can't stand to see people walk through a smoking area ( that is marked by signs and what ever) and then start waving there arms and coughing.

QUOTE]

Cigarette smoke allergies are in fact real... My DD has been diagnosed with it by a real certified doctor. In fact her reaction is so bad our family court judge ruled her father and step mom could not smoke in the car or house with her. And she has reactions when we get behind cars with people smoking in them. As a result her dad quit smoking all together. Thanks for your input tho.

Other than MK there is NO lack of alcohol at Disney World. Not sure where you are getting that idea from. :confused3 There is alchohol at every park and every resort other than MK.

Yep. Plus if you are in the Magic Kingdom and have to have a drink, there are 3 resorts you can be at within minutes and you can get one. I have nothing against an adult berverage now and again, but I don't see why every park has to sell them.

And if you smoke, is it really that hard to pack a lighter or some matches? Or even ask for them? You can't buy advil over the counter in the parks either but it isn't hard to get it if you want it. You just have to ask.

It's not that we HAVE to have a drink. it's just that it would be nice at the end of a long day in the parks to be able to sit and watch the parade or fireworks with a nice adult beverage. It's vacation right? a nightcap would be nice.

If someone is a serious smoker (And yes, that someone would be me), they're not going to go anywhere (especially WDW) without at least a few lighters/packs of matches. If I were to ever forget or lose my cache of lighters, I know that some other smoker in any DSA would give me a light.

I have never had a problem finding alcohol at Disney. MK is about the only place you can't buy it.

In regards to lighters-I say good. I wish they would ban smoking all together in the parks. It happens every trip we are on, some smoker doesn't follow the designated areas. I get extremely sick from cigarette smoke and it seems they are always blowing the smoke AWAY from them. Anyone who says allergies from cigarette smoke are not real is sadly mistaken.

Banning smoking is completely absurd. It's not fair to smokers! I'm sorry if the secluded bench you wanted to change your baby's diaper on is in a DSA. GET OVER IT! ANY where you go there are gonna be people smoking when ever they feel like it. You are lucky thay WDW has specific smoking sections and you can AVOID them. If you don't like it, don't go near it. And there are honestly NOT that many people smoking outside the DSA I think i see maybe ONE person on each of my trips doing that and it's usually a young guy who probably doesn't know any better. Get over it. You run across smoke a lot LESS at Disney than ANYWHERE else you would choose to vacation.

I'm not objecting to the fact that people are smoking in DSA at WDW. I'm objecting to your comment about people not really having allergies or reactions to smoke, and that it must simply be that we don't like smoke. And the fact that you apparently don't have the medical training to be making such a diagnosis.

Ok i admit there may be people out there who have legit allergies but there are also those who complain that they are allergic but who will have no problem sitting in a smoky bar...that's what pisses me off. It's when it's like they have allergies when it's convienent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter