Drink Recommendations...if you don't care for the taste of alcohol :)

Cirlonde

Mouseketeer
First time cruiser here with an adult-only trip on the Dream coming up in May. I'm really interested in visiting the various adult lounges. They all look so cool! However, I've never liked the taste of alcohol so I don't have a "drink of choice". But it feels weird to hang out in a bar and order a soft drink, haha! And I don't want the bartender to think I'm just being cheap if I order a virgin drink...although I'd probably enjoy the taste a lot more!

So, any suggestions of drinks I could order that don't have an overpowering liquor taste? Or do I just 'fess up to the bartender and ask him to go light on the pour? I'm also not sure if I can ask them to make me any drink or only what's available on the menu?

I tend to tolerate frozen sweet drinks better, as the cold temperature and the sugar seem to disguise the alcohol a little bit. I've always wanted to try a grasshopper because I love mint-flavored-everything-else, but that's the only drink currently on my list.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer!!

I wouldn't imagine the virgin cocktails are particularly cheap. Go for what you like the taste of, not what you feel you ought to. If they serve it in that setting then it's meant for that setting.

I tend to go for virgin Pina coladas or strawberry daiquiri's but if I do want some fruity alcohol then blue lagoons can be nice, or an archers (peach schnapps) and orange juice.

We love skyline on the dream. It is a smaller, less crowded place to get a drink and socialize. The bartenders in there were willing to make me anything I asked for, and often would send someone to other bars for a beer DH wanted. I would definitely suggest cold and fruity if you don't like and alcohol taste, and rum over vodka as I find the alcohol flavor to be more muted in rum drinks. Just tell them you and not a big fan of the alcohol taste and I am sure they can whip up something to your liking.

I don't think anyone on the ship, especially the bar tenders will mind you ordering what you want (coke or virgin drink). IMHO DCL realizes that a lot of people don't drink alcohol. The "Drink of the Day" comes in two varieties now....alcohol and non-alcohol. Our first cruise the Drink of the Day was only the alcohol one.

So, order what you want. And don't worry about peer pressure.

BTW, I like virgin strawberry daiquiris also.

I wouldn't imagine the virgin cocktails are particularly cheap. Go for what you like the taste of, not what you feel you ought to. If they serve it in that setting then it's meant for that setting.
I always thought that a virgin cocktail had a larger markup than the alcoholic version at a bar/restaurant. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the same on a cruise ship.

So, order what you want. And don't worry about peer pressure.
I agree here. Order what you want. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

BTW, I like virgin strawberry daiquiris also.
When I was a kid, we went to an all-inclusive resort. I think that all I drank were virgin strawberry daiquiris, so I was probably on a sugar high for the entire trip.

Another school of thought is you have a good month to acquire the taste of alcohol. Practice makes adequate! :)

But seriously, don't be afraid to order non-alcoholic drinks. No one will care. It's not necessary to order anything to hang out in the lounges. You've paid your "cover charge" to be there.

MUN

I don't care for the taste of alcohol, either and I've never cared what the bar tender or anyone else thought when I ordered a soft drink or just water. But I do have one drink I like, because there's no alcohol taste. Amaretto and lemon juice or lime juice. It's a bit tart, which I love. But watch out, if you're not used to alcohol, it's so tasty that it's easy to drink quickly and that will go to your head.

First time cruiser here with an adult-only trip on the Dream coming up in May. I'm really interested in visiting the various adult lounges. They all look so cool! However, I've never liked the taste of alcohol so I don't have a "drink of choice". But it feels weird to hang out in a bar and order a soft drink, haha! And I don't want the bartender to think I'm just being cheap if I order a virgin drink...although I'd probably enjoy the taste a lot more!

So, any suggestions of drinks I could order that don't have an overpowering liquor taste? Or do I just 'fess up to the bartender and ask him to go light on the pour? I'm also not sure if I can ask them to make me any drink or only what's available on the menu?

I tend to tolerate frozen sweet drinks better, as the cold temperature and the sugar seem to disguise the alcohol a little bit. I've always wanted to try a grasshopper because I love mint-flavored-everything-else, but that's the only drink currently on my list.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer!!

If you don't like the taste of alcohol, then why force yourself to drink it? Order a non-alcoholic drink and enjoy your vacation. Try the non-alcoholic drinks of the day. Or since you like the frozen, sweet drinks, order a virgin strawberry daiquiri or pina colada.

Since you like mint, have you ever tried a mojito? The regular version is made with rum, but if you don't like the taste of rum, you can ask for a non-alcoholic version. Here's a recipe for a virgin mojito: http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/virgin-mojito-171360

This is a great recommendation. Those drinks always look fruity and fun. Plus, if you are on deck, they come in cool glasses!

Well, they only come in the cool glasses if you are willing to pay extra for the cool glass. I prefer to save my money and get my drinks in a regular glass.

Even ordering a soda you will be ahead of those who order nothing. And on par with those 18-20 and others who do not drinkI agree - if you don't like the taste, don't torture yourself.

Since you like mint, have you ever tried a mojito? The regular version is made with rum, but if you don't like the taste of rum, you can ask for a non-alcoholic version. Here's a recipe for a virgin mojito: http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/virgin-mojito-171360
I like this recipe. Adding ginger ale instead of soda water is an interesting twist. It should give you a flavour that's not in a traditional mojito but helps replace the taste of rum.

Another vote to order what you like and not worry about it!

If you do want to try some fruity, fun drinks, I enjoy Bahama Mama's and the Konk Kooler! I sometimes make a gallon of bahama mama's at home for parties, etc. Once those juices sit with the rum overnight, you can't tell that it's alcoholic. It can get you in trouble.

I like this recipe. Adding ginger ale instead of soda water is an interesting twist. It should give you a flavour that's not in a traditional mojito but helps replace the taste of rum.

I've actually never tried it with the ginger ale. I should sometime. If I'm making mine without alcohol (which isn't often since I love rum), I use Sprite.

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I really appreciate it! That mojito does sound good; I will definitely be adding it to my mental list of things to try out. I also googled the Island Navigator...ICE CREAM! How can you go wrong with ice cream?!

I should clarify...I enjoy the way a little alcohol makes me feel, I just want to get the same results with something that tastes good, haha! :D So it's not necessarily that I'm trying to avoid it altogether, but rather trying to find something that is palatable. No sense spending good money on something I have to force down!

But it's also really good to know that I wouldn't be a complete oddity if I went to enjoy the ambiance of the lounges without ordering alcohol, since even when I do drink I usually only want a limited amount. Not being concerned about how I'm judged by other people is something I've tried to work on my entire adult life...but unfortunately, some things are bred deep and childhood raising can be hard to shake! :o

I am not a big drinker either. I loved the Pina Colava. It was raspberry mixed with pina colada. I had it on deck. Then when in one lounge I didn't see it on the menu, I must have looked disappointed and the server asked what I wanted. They promptly said no problem and went and got it for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I really appreciate it! That mojito does sound good; I will definitely be adding it to my mental list of things to try out. I also googled the Island Navigator...ICE CREAM! How can you go wrong with ice cream?!

I should clarify...I enjoy the way a little alcohol makes me feel, I just want to get the same results with something that tastes good, haha! :D So it's not necessarily that I'm trying to avoid it altogether, but rather trying to find something that is palatable. No sense spending good money on something I have to force down!

But it's also really good to know that I wouldn't be a complete oddity if I went to enjoy the ambiance of the lounges without ordering alcohol, since even when I do drink I usually only want a limited amount. Not being concerned about how I'm judged by other people is something I've tried to work on my entire adult life...but unfortunately, some things are bred deep and childhood raising can be hard to shake! :o

We share an avatar Cirlonde! No worries about the drinking. We took our daughter who turned 18 on our last cruise into Meridian for her birthday. The bartenders were more than excited to whip her up something non-alcoholic-a strawberry/basil concoction-it was delicious! And they did not mind us spending some time there. We chatted it up with several fellow cruisers that came in for alcoholic drinks. It was fun! You will be fine!

We are cruising in May too. Also doing SW and DC. Never been to either of those, we are super excited. :)

I am not a big drinker either. I loved the Pina Colava. It was raspberry mixed with pina colada. I had it on deck. Then when in one lounge I didn't see it on the menu, I must have looked disappointed and the server asked what I wanted. They promptly said no problem and went and got it for me.

Another vote for the pina colava! It's one of my "must haves" on every trip to WDW and every cruise.

If you like frozen drinks, the BBC tastes like a banana milkshake. I don't taste the alcohol in that drink. It's made with Bailey's - Bailey's, Banana, Colada. There's a similar drink on the printed pool deck menu, but it's made with rum - banana caribe, I think. That's pretty good, too, but I do taste the rum. More often than not, I'll order the BBC instead of the rum version.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter