Drink package and tipping

lovin'fl

DIS Veteran
Do you tip extra on drinks you get using a drink package? If so how much? On cruise now and have package for 1st time. Thanks.

I've never gotten the package, but if I did, I'd probably use the "crowded bar" strategy of tipping big early (say $15-$20) and continually going to the same bartender, as chances are they'll remember you and give you better service.

(ETA) Of course, after that one over-the-top tip, I wouldn't tip anymore, since gratuities were included in the package fee.

when you paid $XX per day for the package they added 18% for tips ... check your invoice!

I just bought the package (delux) for my cruise on Adventure OTS next moth

If I keep going back to the same bar and bartender I will usually leave a tip like a $5 every night. Service might get better and if I am hanging out there, bartenders remember the tippers.

when you paid $XX per day for the package they added 18% for tips ... check your invoice!

I just bought the package (delux) for my cruise on Adventure OTS next moth

That's a tip pool. It doesn't go to the specific server/bartender. It's split amongst everybody. An add-on tip does go to the specific server/bartender/bartending team. The same applies to DCL.

if you want to double tip ... go for it

I don't extra tip per visit and have NEVER been ignored ... but I tend to visit the same bar every nite b4 dinner and TALK to the servers and by the second nite I never wait for service.

At the end of the cruise I tend to slip an extra $20 or so to the tenders/servers who were nice ... last nite IF ... not first night to HOPE

I have NO doubt if you plus tip nice the first nite on top of the already included 18%, you'll get good service in the future. But I CAN say from experience that being nice can buy you this OR MORE .... and costs less!

Don't mind me tho ... only been cruising for 45 years .....

Lots of good answers, and backs up that everyone is different and you should do what you are comfortable with.

If you get the drink package you had gratuity added on at purchase, but as pointed out it goes into a pool.

When we first got on the ship when you can only "wander" we had lunch then found a comfortable bar. We did initially tip $1 per drink because it was crowded, we were a large group and we wanted to up our odds of service. I think it worked out just fine for us for a few rounds.

Since our goal was (and is next month) to hit all the bars (20+) we didn't tip extra at each stop. We each found places, services and bartenders we really liked and found ourselves gravitating back to those places. One of our favorite bartenders ended up working our spot on Labadee and he took great care of us. At the end of the week they got extra.

I think there were a few in the middle that we knew we likely wouldn't return or see again but we sat at tables, took up space, they took the time to give us great service and conversation (we are a friendly group often asking where they were from etc). They may have gotten a couple extra dollars, especially if it was a small bar.

I would say we didn't spend much extra on gratuity but we did "thank" those few that made our week that much better.

editorial comment

often the folks who justify over tipping the bar tenders

are the same people who remove 'tips' to the food and room staff

'why should I tip the waiters in the <tip pool> .... I ate at the buffet every night'

if you don't understand ........

editorial comment

'why should I tip the waiters in the <tip pool> .... I ate at the buffet every night'

Well, I have never removed the dsc and tip extra to room stewards and waiters if service has been exceptional (which it has almost always been great). Have only not tipped extra to room steward once in almost 40 cruises. She did the bare minimum so there was no extra tip that week.

editorial comment

That doesn't make sense to me. If someone is one to have tips removed from the folks who served them daily (wait staff works in the buffet), I for sure don't see them tipping extra just for drinks.

WE don't remove any tips, we give our dinner servers and steward extra cash at the end of the week, and we handle the bar staff as I posted above.

editorial comment

This is a bad take.

I will be going on my first cruise and a little confused about tipping and don't want to leave someone out.

I won't be getting the beverage package and I understand tipping at the bars for a beer or mixed drink that we may have. But what about the dining. I was told that we would have the same waitstaff every night after dinner, do we tip at the end of the cruise or each night? If I get room service for breakfast or in the evening, do I tip at the time of delivery? Housekeeping? Luggage?

I will be going on my first cruise and a little confused about tipping and don't want to leave someone out.

I won't be getting the beverage package and I understand tipping at the bars for a beer or mixed drink that we may have. But what about the dining. I was told that we would have the same waitstaff every night after dinner, do we tip at the end of the cruise or each night? If I get room service for breakfast or in the evening, do I tip at the time of delivery? Housekeeping? Luggage?
So gratuities are added on per person, per day with a predetermined split between your DINNER servers, housekeeper and everyone else. You can opt out of this. I do not recommend doing so as the rate is quite fair.

You can tip over and above at your discretion. With room service (and most things), an 18% gratuity is levied so no extra tip is required.

For luggage, $1-2 per piece to the porters is customary.

So gratuities are added on per person, per day with a predetermined split between your DINNER servers, housekeeper and everyone else. You can opt out of this. I do not recommend doing so as the rate is quite fair.

You can tip over and above at your discretion. With room service (and most things), an 18% gratuity is levied so no extra tip is required.

For luggage, $1-2 per piece to the porters is customary.
Thank you. Much appreciated.

Got off 8 day on Sunday. It was Carnival. We tipped $1 extra per pair of drinks. Sometimes $1.50 because hubby insisted he put 50 cents on his own and i kept telling him we just put $1 on one of ours but he wouldnt listen so sometimes I'd just do 50 cents also. But it must have annoyed whoever had to add that in. We left per day tips on our sail and sign and we tipped an extra $10 to room steward as well as 20% of the pay dining venues which we ate in 4/8 nights...so the $15pp charge we would tip $6 for the pair of us.

I would rather not get drink package next time so we can just buy noth drinks together and tip a normal tip on those. Have drink package on our Jan Royal Caribbean cruise but will cancel it.

Got off 8 day on Sunday. It was Carnival. We tipped $1 extra per pair of drinks. Sometimes $1.50 because hubby insisted he put 50 cents on his own and i kept telling him we just put $1 on one of ours but he wouldnt listen so sometimes I'd just do 50 cents also. But it must have annoyed whoever had to add that in. We left per day tips on our sail and sign and we tipped an extra $10 to room steward as well as 20% of the pay dining venues which we ate in 4/8 nights...so the $15pp charge we would tip $6 for the pair of us.

I would rather not get drink package next time so we can just buy noth drinks together and tip a normal tip on those. Have drink package on our Jan Royal Caribbean cruise but will cancel it.

Do your math on what you think you might spend ........... everything just went up (and am sure per drinks will too) and if you are already paid you should be grandfathered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter