Dressing for the weather for park days in January?

Becca43

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! Hoping you all might have some tips for this little Canadian as I attempt to figure out what the heck to pack for my upcoming WDW vacation in January 😅 specifically what to pack for evenings at the park... I imagine the weather cools off dramatically after sunset around 5:30/6pm - so in your experience, how cold does it typically get, and what do you wear/bring to make sure you're comfortable for your WDW evenings? For example, would you recommend a jacket or have you been okay in a sweater? What about a light hat or gloves?

I know weather can be unpredictable and I'm sure experiences will also vary from person to person, so don't feel like you need to have all the answers. Just hoping to get a better general sense of what I might be able to expect. I've been to WDW before, but always in the spring (late April/early May) and not in many years, so I have no experience with what a winter trip may be like. Thanks so much for your help, and feel free to point me to past threads as I'm sure this is not the first time someone has had this question - despite doing a search, I just couldn't seem to find what I was looking for, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right places. TYSM!

Hi everyone! Hoping you all might have some tips for this little Canadian as I attempt to figure out what the heck to pack for my upcoming WDW vacation in January 😅 specifically what to pack for evenings at the park... I imagine the weather cools off dramatically after sunset around 5:30/6pm - so in your experience, how cold does it typically get, and what do you wear/bring to make sure you're comfortable for your WDW evenings? For example, would you recommend a jacket or have you been okay in a sweater? What about a light hat or gloves?

I know weather can be unpredictable and I'm sure experiences will also vary from person to person, so don't feel like you need to have all the answers. Just hoping to get a better general sense of what I might be able to expect. I've been to WDW before, but always in the spring (late April/early May) and not in many years, so I have no experience with what a winter trip may be like. Thanks so much for your help, and feel free to point me to past threads as I'm sure this is not the first time someone has had this question - despite doing a search, I just couldn't seem to find what I was looking for, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right places. TYSM!
Well, I live here and I visit WDW for a few days every January. Layers are your friend. The temperatures can range anywhere from the upper 20’s at night to the low 80’s during the afternoon. Winter is a good time to make use of the lockers in the park, on days when you need a warmer jacket in the morning and evening, but not in the afternoon.

I usually pack short sleeve shirts and long pants and then I pack two jackets, a mid-weight hoodie and a heavier fleece jacket, that I can wear individually or layer together if the weather takes a particularly cold turn. I also take some knit gloves (sometimes hands in pockets isn’t practical) and a warm scarf. I don’t own a hat, but the scarf is long enough to wrap around my head and ears and still wrap my neck. If you have a knit hat, I would bring it. Since you are from Canada, I would throw a pair of shorts and a swimsuit in the suitcase, just in case you encounter a warm snap. The pools are heated, so as long as you won’t freeze getting out of it, swimming is a possibility in January. Don’t forget a rain poncho. Rain in winter tends to be lighter, but linger longer. For example, we had a cold front come through early today and it rained all day yesterday, from early morning through midnight.

You should check the weather forecast about a week prior to leaving, to get a better idea of what the temperatures will be, and whether any rain is expected. The good thing about a cold snap is that it tends to only last a few days before a warm up.

I’ve been watching this as well. We’ll be there Jan 16-25 and I’ll wait til about a week out to get a better read on the weather based on locals’ advice here. Right now my conundrum is shorts vs jeans. I’m a bigger guy so the shorts/jeans all day line tends to be a bit fuzzier for me.

Basically, prepare for anything. I've seen everything from 40s to 90s on a mid-winter trip (and once in the same trip!). I usually wear leggings and a t-shirt, but bring a sweatshirt and a rain jacket to layer. I also have a lightweight packable winter jacket that I've learned to bring just in case the weather turns at the last second, plus a knit hat and gloves. I also have the benefit of bringing a stroller, so carrying around multiple layers isn't an issue for me. Even being from NY, that colder weather in Florida can hit a little different when you're outside all day, especially if it ends up being even a little rainy or windy!

Last edited:
I’ve been watching this as well. We’ll be there Jan 16-25 and I’ll wait til about a week out to get a better read on the weather based on locals’ advice here. Right now my conundrum is shorts vs jeans. I’m a bigger guy so the shorts/jeans all day line tends to be a bit fuzzier for me.
Shorts versus jeans/pants is my primary dilemma as well. But listening to local’s advice to see what the forecast is calling for the week before before I decide, for sure. My second biggest dilemma is just how cold evenings will feel 😅 days with lows of 10 - 13*C (50 - 55*F, I think?) don’t seem that cold to me based on the weather I’m used to here but it sounds like it might feel particularly nippy in Orlando when temps drop this much (or more) so just gonna try to do my best to bring options that will hopefully mean I have the right clothes/jackets/accessories for all scenerios lol

My second biggest dilemma is just how cold evenings will feel 😅 days with lows of 10 - 13*C (50 - 55*F, I think?) don’t seem that cold to me based on the weather I’m used to here but it sounds like it might feel particularly nippy in Orlando when temps drop this much (or more)
The humidity in Orlando makes it feel colder, especially when it’s windy, if you’re from somewhere with generally low humidity. Layers that you can remove or add during the day and evening are the best!

For the locals, what TV weather station or web site do you find to be the most accurate. Accuweather and Weather Channel seem to be different when I look at next week.

Always a good idea to dress in layers so you can remove thing if you get too hot. The temperatures on airplanes always seem to swing wildly between too hot to too cold/drafty, so I plan accordingly. At Disney, the indoor places seem way too cold to me regardless of what time of year. Partly this depends on if you are generally warm/cold when traveling. What seems too hot to some might feel too cold to others.

You can always remove layers if too hot, but if you left those things at home won't do you much good when at Disney.

Well, dressing for park days in January can indeed be a bit tricky due to the unpredictable weather. It's always a good idea to layer up so you can adjust throughout the day as temperatures change. For people who want to add a durable and stylish touch to their wardrobe, wild west boot store customer service can provide excellent recommendations on footwear that's not only comfortable for long walks but also suitable for cooler weather. Right gear can make all the difference in enjoying your day at the park, no matter the temperature.

Last edited:
For evenings at WDW in January, it's wise to pack layers such as a light jacket or sweater, as temperatures can drop, and comfortable walking boots are essential for long park hours. Additionally, consider bringing a light hat and gloves for extra warmth, as the evenings can get quite cool, especially for someone accustomed to Canadian weather.
Considering it’s Feb and OP posted on Dec I think this ship has sailed!

Considering it’s Feb and OP posted on Dec I think this ship has sailed!
That's fair, but one of the things that I have found as I prepare for trips and search google for answers is that older DIS board threads will pop up and the information can still be helpful. That being said, below is my advice for cold weather months.

Yes, layers are your friend. I actually would recommend a packable coat like the kind used for backpacking that can be stored in its bag. I found that this layer was an awesome addition as it didn't take up a ton of space, wasn't heavy, but really saved me on cooler days/ night. It is kind of wild just how much of a difference the sun can make to the "feels like" temperature.

When looking at the numbers and what they mean (sorry my Canadian friends, this is going to have to be in Fahrenheit) this is how I would dress for those days. Also, I would add that I am a person who runs a bit on the cold side. I am from Wisconsin, but my husband would say that I am being dramatic and he wears less.

80s - shorts and a t-shirt/ athletic dress
70s - jeans and a t-shirt or shorts and a sweater/sweatshirt
60s - jeans and a sweater/sweatshirt
50s - jeans and a sweater/sweatshirt/ coat
40s - jeans, sweater/sweatshirt, a coat, and a hat (yes, it really was in the 40s one of the mornings we were there in January 2024)

Other items to consider - hat, ear headband, gloves, hand warmers, scarf, taller socks, and the "breathability" of your shoes can mean the cold air can get it.

But by far, my absolute best tip for being prepared for the huge temperature swings in Florida is to rent a locker at the park. They are located near the front of the park and make it so that you don't have to carry your layers around all day. For example, my husband wanted to wear jeans in the morning/night but shorts during the day. We would just stop by the locker and we could leave the jeans in there rather than needing to haul them around the park in our backpack. While the lockers are a bit out of the way, there are way more convenient than needing to make a trip back to your hotel because you don't have enough layers or you don't want to carry extra layers around.

That's fair, but one of the things that I have found as I prepare for trips and search google for answers is that older DIS board threads will pop up and the information can still be helpful. That being said, below is my advice for cold weather months.

Yes, layers are your friend. I actually would recommend a packable coat like the kind used for backpacking that can be stored in its bag. I found that this layer was an awesome addition as it didn't take up a ton of space, wasn't heavy, but really saved me on cooler days/ night. It is kind of wild just how much of a difference the sun can make to the "feels like" temperature.

When looking at the numbers and what they mean (sorry my Canadian friends, this is going to have to be in Fahrenheit) this is how I would dress for those days. Also, I would add that I am a person who runs a bit on the cold side. I am from Wisconsin, but my husband would say that I am being dramatic and he wears less.

80s - shorts and a t-shirt/ athletic dress
70s - jeans and a t-shirt or shorts and a sweater/sweatshirt
60s - jeans and a sweater/sweatshirt
50s - jeans and a sweater/sweatshirt/ coat
40s - jeans, sweater/sweatshirt, a coat, and a hat (yes, it really was in the 40s one of the mornings we were there in January 2024)

Other items to consider - hat, ear headband, gloves, hand warmers, scarf, taller socks, and the "breathability" of your shoes can mean the cold air can get it.

But by far, my absolute best tip for being prepared for the huge temperature swings in Florida is to rent a locker at the park. They are located near the front of the park and make it so that you don't have to carry your layers around all day. For example, my husband wanted to wear jeans in the morning/night but shorts during the day. We would just stop by the locker and we could leave the jeans in there rather than needing to haul them around the park in our backpack. While the lockers are a bit out of the way, there are way more convenient than needing to make a trip back to your hotel because you don't have enough layers or you don't want to carry extra layers around.
I'm going with your husband here. 70s in Florida, especially on a sunny day, and I would sweat to death in a sweater/sweatshirt.

It's partly an individual thing on what temperature you are most comfortable with. Likely you will see some people out in public in shorts whiles others are wearing long pants and sweaters on any given day. That is true regardless of whether at Disney or anywhere else.

Thanks everyone for continuing to share your thoughts on this! My trip has (sadly) come and gone since I posted this but all your tips were very helpful 😊 Weather on my trip changed dramatically about 2 or 3 days in — from jeans, spring coat, and sweater, plus a hat and gloves in the evening type weather to needing just shorts, t-shirt, and a ball cap with just a slight sweater for the evenings. So I will echo everyone who said look at the forecast a few days out and pack layers! Hope this also helps others with their trip planning for Januarys to come 😉 Thanks again!

We live here and always give the same advice to people coming December to March, layers. You got to experience that first hand. The only difference is this has been an El Ninio year. It has been colder than normal. I've run the heat on and off since December. "Winter" is usually mid January and lasts about 10 days. Then it starts to slowly warm during the day. This year it has been wetter than normal. These months are our dry/drought period.
Glad you enjoyed your trip. Coming from the frozen north I'm sure our weather and temps were nothing to you!
We hate the cold!
hurricane memes 1.jpg

We live here and always give the same advice to people coming December to March, layers. You got to experience that first hand. The only difference is this has been an El Ninio year. It has been colder than normal. I've run the heat on and off since December. "Winter" is usually mid January and lasts about 10 days. Then it starts to slowly warm during the day. This year it has been wetter than normal. These months are our dry/drought period.
Glad you enjoyed your trip. Coming from the frozen north I'm sure our weather and temps were nothing to you!
We hate the cold!

It has been a much wetter winter than I can remember (I've been in central Florida for ~20 years). In fact, this weekend's weather is so different that it has me wonder what April will be like. One thing is for sure....our plants/grass will be very happy in the next month or so.

It has been a much wetter winter than I can remember (I've been in central Florida for ~20 years). In fact, this weekend's weather is so different that it has me wonder what April will be like. One thing is for sure....our plants/grass will be very happy in the next month or so.
I'm not complaining. It'll be nice to start spring and summer with a surplus of water instead of a deficit. As far as this weekend, they're saying it's not supposed to stop until Monday morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter