• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

dresses for the park

pirasha

Earning My Ears
Hey guys.

So I'm going crazy here trying to plan this trip without actually planning too much in case we can't go...so I thought I'd maybe look into something fun. Clothes :)

So. We are thinking about the park in September...so it's going to be hot and possibly wet. I also want to look cute (who doesn't??). I love dresses but I'm not sure what kind would work best...Maybe skater?

I would love for a romper....but I'm short..and skinny with hips...so rompers look just SO BAD (although I do keep trying...why do they have to be so cute on the hanger and not on me?)

I know the sports dresses from like LL Bean may work...but most of the one's I've seen aren't super cute..so I'm not sold. Also since I work in an office they don't look all that business casual so I wouldn't be able to pretend I'm buying clothes for work and not Disney :D

so

those of you that wear dresses in the park; what style/brand/material works best for you? bonus points for fast drying

Cotton. Or cotton/spandex blends. I looooove wearing skirts (w/coordinating tank top) and dresses in the park. Hot Topic and Torrid have adorable ones - depending on your size. (Torrid is basically HT for bigger girls.) Or plain skirts w/Disney tanks/tees. I have a hard time with running/tennis skirts, the shorts don't come quite low enough to protect from chafing. Target's C9 has had shorts on and off that are absolutely perfect.

I found tank top athletic-type dresses at Costco last year that I love because they have pockets, so I can go bag-free. I saw some new styles at Costco last week that are kind of like long t-shirts but are dresses (hope that makes sense). They have pockets, too, and I desperately want one, but haven't been able to justify the purchase since I got the others last year. The pockets are really a must for me because I don't want to carry a bag. And I do always wear something under them- leggings in cooler weather and cotton athletic shorts for hot weather. I was especially glad for the shorts while riding the Tomorrowland Speedway. That's a ride that provides no modesty if you're wearing a shorter skirt!

I pretty much only wear cotton/linen sundresses. Honestly, I wear a lot of Target/Gap/Lucky cheap cotton sundresses for casual wear - if they get messed up, they get trashed, easy pease. They get wine/coffee/soy sauce on them just like Kate Spade and up dresses do. I really like pockets, and if they don't have them, I look for side seams that are easy to open to sew in pockets. I wear moisture wicking full coverage boy/hipsters undergarments, so I never have to worry about being exposed. The dresses are the most comfortable, lightest, coolest option I've ever found. Possible TMI: my thighs don't rub against each other in a dress but the sturdy, cuffed and pressed shorts I tend to wear can be kinda chafing, so that's an added bonus. Or maybe I could just lay off the starch...Speaking of which! I find dresses to stay much more nicely pressed than shorts, and I'm kinda picky about my clothes being properly pressed. Yes, including at WDW, if I'm traveling with a romantic partner, I will even re-press his stuff the night before. Most men get their stuff dry cleaned though, so that makes it easier!

Last edited:
Space Mountain is equally as bad.

This is, hands-down, my favorite Disney outfit. It's cute, it's comfy, it's cool... I get so many compliments running around the park (and I am not someone who gets compliments on clothes lol.) It's not available anymore but might give some reference - http://www.hottopic.com/product/disney-the-little-mermaid-sailor-dress/10354510.html

That is cute! I've got this one, http://www.hottopic.com/product/disney-villains-stained-glass-dress/10608103.html, but its not a favorite, because I couldn't figure out an easy way to add pockets. A more accomplished seamstress, I'm sure could do it, but adding pockets is the limit of my ability. And, I worry its a bit "too young" for me.

I have a few cotton sundresses that I've collected over the years that I take to WDW. When I find them cheap, I just pick up one or two. I've never had trouble with Marilyn Monroe moments.

I wear sundresses all the time when it's hot, I buy most of mine at Old Navy because I'm cheap. I can wear them to work with a sweater. Most of mine don't have pockets so I use a running belt which I wear under the dress through security and carry my phone in my hand, then go to the bathroom and pull the dress on top of it. It just looks like a wide belt but holds my cell phone and some cash and cards. I don't wear shorts under mine, because if I'm wearing shorts, I'll just wear shorts. I do wear boy shorts underwear. I've never had any problems getting on and off rides or with wind, but I'm also a tad older than the mini skirt age so all of mine come close to my knees.

I buy a lot of cute dresses at Anthropologie that are perfect for Disney and some could easily be office appropriate with the addition of a nice cardigan or jacket.
I'll add, Athleta. Some super cute dresses in their stores and online.
Stick to cotton or a mostly cotton blend.

Cotton. Or cotton/spandex blends. I looooove wearing skirts (w/coordinating tank top) and dresses in the park. Hot Topic and Torrid have adorable ones - depending on your size. (Torrid is basically HT for bigger girls.) Or plain skirts w/Disney tanks/tees. I have a hard time with running/tennis skirts, the shorts don't come quite low enough to protect from chafing. Target's C9 has had shorts on and off that are absolutely perfect.
This is what I do as far as tank tops, but I do get the tennis skorts. They have some longer length ones at Academy and Amazon and I use Arm and Hammer Friction Defense (like Body Glide) for the chafing.

I tend to do Old Navy dresses that are super lightweight. I ordered a Carly from LuLaROe for my upcoming trip. Excited to try it out!

I love wearing dresses at Disney! I go for lightweight slightly stretchy materials, like jersey. I have found dresses at Old Navy, Target, Hot Topic, Loft, and I hit up TJ Maxx and Marshalls too. Dresses with pockets are much desired, but if they don't have pockets BF and I usually have a backpack anyway, and he's a great phone holder, lol. I just bought a Vera Bradley crossbody bag for park use and it has turned into my regular daily use bag, so I'll be using it on my next trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter