Downtown Disney

KerriMc

DIS Veteran
Hello :wave:

I have never been to Downtown Disney, but would like to go to it when we are there in March. Can someone tell me how to get there? Is there an admission fee? What is there exactly (shops, restaurants, etc)? What is a must see or do or have (food)? Should I bring along my kids (4 and 20 mos) or should I just go with another adult in our group? Any info is very appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Kerri :flower1:

1. It's free
  2. World of Disney -- largest Disney merchandise store in the world.
  3. Ghirardelli's -- great ice cream sundae shop
  4. Arriba's -- spectacular crystal and handblown glass
  5. Pooh Corner -- everything Pooh
  6. Pet Tails -- want something for your dog or cat?
  7. Basin -- bath soaps, etc.
  8. Pin trading shop -- largest Disney pin store on the resort property.
  9. Days of Christmas -- Disney Christmas store.
  10. Art of Disney -- high quality, limited edition artwork.
  11. McDonald's -- the Coke dispenser makes noise!
  12. Pleasure Island -- nightclub park, admission needed for nightclubs
  13. AMC Theater
  14. DisneyQuest -- indoor amusement park, admission required.
  15. Take the kids!

I cannot tell you exactly how to get there (road signs, etc.) but I found maneuvering around DTD to be sooooo easy. I found everything I needed just from the signs that they had everywhere.
As for an admission fee, no there is not one. There would be for Pleaure Island, which is the middle complex of the three, if you were to go into one of the clubs (kind of like a cover charge). I think it is around $20 (someone correct me if I am wrong), but once you pay it, it is good to go into any of the clubs. If you have a UPHP, you should have the availability to go into here using one of your options, but I don't know exactly how the new passes work.
I loved DTD for the shops they had in the Marketplace area. There was a Disney at home store, a Christmas store, The Art of Disney, a glass store, just to name a few. There were some great restaurants (the Rainforest Cafe, for example) and some great coffee type shops. They have a very large Lego store with a place for the kids to play (very life like lego there - would not miss this!) as well as a HUGE Disney store with everything you can think that you want to get. If you are into trading pins, there is a great pin trading store there as well.
On the other side of DTD (sorry, but I am so tired and cannot remember all the areas), they have tons of eateries and a giant Virgin store and some quaint little stores that sell items that you would never think of buying otherwise. Also Cirque du Soleil is in this area.
As for if you should bring the kids, that is really up to you. If really depends if you want to go clubbing or want to take a day to relax and just shop. I found that kids really enjoyed this area, but tired very easily - think of it this way, do your kids get tired when you take them shopping when you are at home, or are they good for the time you are gone?
Here is a good site on what is at DTD:
Downtown Disney
I really enjoyed DTD, moreso than I thought I would. I cannot wait to go back and add another picture to my collection that I bought at The Art of Disney, or add another ornament to my tree. I Loved DTD!
Jo

The kids will love it ~ there is a Lego store with an outdoor play area that has lego in bins for them to use! It is a great place for one parent to stay with the kids while Mom shops (teehee) :flower1: and then you can switch off. DTD is located on the extreme east side of the entire Walt Disney World site. You can take the bus from any disney Resort but if like me, you are staying offsite then it is different. Where are you staying? I can give pretty good directions if I know where you are coming from. PM me if you like.

Teresa princess:

• Disney at Home store has closed.
  • Lego store under refurbishment -- temporarily located in a tent in front of World of Disney

Don't forget the $10.00 and Under Store!

DTD usually opens around 9:00 a.m. and closes approx 10:00 to 11:00 depending on season!

Cirque is also located at DTD!

Scratch

If on our arrival day we get in at midday/afternoon, we usually head over to Downtown Disney first as it really gives you the "feel" that you're finally at Disney. They have a HUGE Rainforest Cafe that my kids love to go to.

Talicskai (Teresa) I have just noticed that your countdown and mine are fairly close (are you leaving on the Saturday Feb 26th or Sunday Feb 27th?)

We are leaving on the 24th for 9 days ( :cloud9: ) Can't wait!!!

iluvwesties (AKA Carol :wave: )

Royal Canadian,

When did the Disney at Home store close? I was just there on January 6th!
:wave:

What!?! Disney at Home closed!!??!! When and why? That was one of my favorite stores.

Just wanted to the echo the thoughts on Lego store. We took our then 3yr old and he LOVED it. A close second was the Mr. Potato Head display and fill up.

Have a great trip! :cool1:

My DH hates to shop :rolleyes: so we've taken the kids bathing suits and he supervises them playing in the squirt-up areas for the kids to run through while I shop. The BEST news ... we ate at Earl of Sandwich on Thursday and he loved it ... so now he'll go back just for that ! That place is by far the best deal on all of Disney property. The sandwiches are $4.95, and you could get a salad for only $0.95 more!

Disney at Home was not there on Jan 13th, which made me very sad.

Mary-Liz

Downtown Disney is ok, and a neccessary part of every trip for momento's. But Pleasure Island is a must do for every trip for us. My kids are so hooked! Not on the clubs, but in particular the recording studio that they can make thier very own DVD Music Video. Although expensive (I have three kids, and they all want their own copy), still a great way to remember, and have historical proof of the kids. Recently showed the one with my oldest daughter, and my son who was 3 at the time (he will be 15 shortly), to his girlfriend :earseek: That was a blast for us. We didn't know he could turn so many shades of red. Every time we go they make a new one, and we are getting quite an extensive collection. But it is something they say they will bring their kids to do also. Funny, it's the little things. :flower:

We loved Earl of Sandwich the last time we were at DTD in October. We actually went there twice during our week's stay because it was good and the value is excellent.

Love the World of Disney store and also like the Christmas store as well.

Your kids will like the lego statutes that are displayed around DTD as well in cluding the dragon in the water!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter