Downtown Disney Outdoor Ice Skating Rink, Photos

Disney Dreams

Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Hi All,

I know there were some requests for pictures of the outdoor skating rink in Downtown Disney. I was there last night to see a movie and do some shopping and took a few pictures specifically to share with fellow DIS'ers. Enjoy.

Photo1-6.jpg

Photo1-9.jpg

Photo1-8.jpg

Photo1-5.jpg

(Weird camera/lighting occurrence of some-sort. It's not this green. -shrug-)

Photo1-7.jpg

My mom, who grew up in NY, said, "It's like a mini-Rockerfeller Center." It is very cute, festive, and something fun to see in Southern California.

Hope you enjoy the pictures,
Dreams

Thanks, Dreams!! Great pictures. How come nobody seems to be skating?

What? That is Tinkerbelle's world? Where are the chalets? I didn't see a village. It looks like a temporary rink. I think Disney oversold their advertising about this one. Well, that frees up time to do the other holiday things, I guess.

Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome! Hope you enjoyed them!

Thanks, Dreams!! Great pictures. How come nobody seems to be skating?
You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed them! There were about 10-15 people in the rink. I tried (very hard) to time photos in between groups of people so as to 1) not have pictures in my collection with strangers as the focal point and 2) not to be posting pictures on the 'net of people who may not want their photo online. :)

What? That is Tinkerbelle's world? Where are the chalets? I didn't see a village. It looks like a temporary rink. I think Disney oversold their advertising about this one. Well, that frees up time to do the other holiday things, I guess.
Hmmm... not sure what you are asking about in terms of "chalets" and "village." It is an outdoor skating rink in the middle of DtD and I thought it was kind of cool (pun not intended). I am guessing you were envisioning something else?

- Dreams

According to the Disney Parks Blog (posted on October 12th):

"And starting November 12, a special holiday village will surround the rink, with themed chalets where guests can purchase seasonal foods and merchandise. Come stretch your wings and your skating legs at the new “Secret of the Wings” ice skating rink this fall and during the holiday season at the Downtown Disney District!"

And also currently posted on Disneyland.com (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/events/secret-wings-ice-skating-rink/}

"Visit the Holiday Village. Beginning November 12, 2012, the rink will be surrounded by a charming holiday village of 4 cozy winter chalets that feature a festive assortment of seasonal eats and treats. A forest of "snow"-covered pine trees, twinkling holiday lights and cheerful garlands create an enchanting holiday atmosphere. Shop, "chill out" and enjoy activities for the whole family, including "Santimals" — an interactive children's art experience — and fun winter-themed photos."

They have adult sized skates for rental. Me and my 6 year old daughter skated a few weeks ago, and we had the ice to ourselves!

I would have to agree that the photos of the actual rink look nothing like what they advertised it was supposed to look like!! Definitely disappointing compared to how amazing it sounded like it should be.

Ahhhh,

Thats what they were building when we were there in Oct...

They removed a big tree for that!

According to the Disney Parks Blog (posted on October 12th):

"And starting November 12, a special holiday village will surround the rink, with themed chalets where guests can purchase seasonal foods and merchandise. Come stretch your wings and your skating legs at the new “Secret of the Wings” ice skating rink this fall and during the holiday season at the Downtown Disney District!"

And also currently posted on Disneyland.com (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/events/secret-wings-ice-skating-rink/}

"Visit the Holiday Village. Beginning November 12, 2012, the rink will be surrounded by a charming holiday village of 4 cozy winter chalets that feature a festive assortment of seasonal eats and treats. A forest of "snow"-covered pine trees, twinkling holiday lights and cheerful garlands create an enchanting holiday atmosphere. Shop, "chill out" and enjoy activities for the whole family, including "Santimals" — an interactive children's art experience — and fun winter-themed photos."
Ah, okay. Wasn't sure what was being asked above. Well, the little "chalets" selling merchandise and food are there and they DO look like little chalets. There are trees with twinkling lights and it does create a very "holiday atmosphere."

I don't know, maybe I'm just an easy sell, but I was pretty excited when I saw it. I mean, it's an outdoor skating rink in the middle of Downtown Disney in Southern California! That's very unique, pretty fun, and yeah, a bit magical.

I'm not sure what others expected, but I think it's pretty cool and was enjoying just seeing it and taking in the "New York winterish" concept of outdoor ice skating. And the Tinkerbelle decor is a nice touch.

It's a temporary, outdoor skating area and for what it is, they gave it some nice decor, cute surroundings, winter feel, and a touch of Disney magic. I like it.

Are there adults skating as well, or just children? :confused3
Yes, there were all sorts of people skating. I would say more adults than kids, actually.

I would have to agree that the photos of the actual rink look nothing like what they advertised it was supposed to look like!! Definitely disappointing compared to how amazing it sounded like it should be.
Sorry you feel that way. I thought the pictures would build excitement. I'm not sure what you expected, but in Southern California, it's pretty exciting to be walking from the movie theatre, outside, to dinner and come across an outdoor skating rink that's decked out. It's pretty fun.

- Dreams

I think the pictures are great, thank you for posting them!

I don't ice skate, but I hope my nephew and one of his mom's will, so I can take pictures next month. It totally reminds me of a mini rockefeller center!

I'm about 100x more excited about that earl of sandwich in the background. LOL!

Thanks for the pics! Did you happen to check out what the little chalets were selling? We can skate anytime here in Canada, I'm more interested about the merchandise and treats. :rotfl:

I don't think it is doing the business they would want. We just finished a three day stay at DLH, and walked by several times a day, and Usually saw only 4-6 on the rink at any given time. And rarely anyone who could really skate; most hugged the walls. The "chalets" look like little mall kiosks. They didn't seem special.

Does anyone know when this will be taken down or closed for sure? Is Jan 6th 2013 the last day the ice skating rink will be offered in DTD.?:cutie:

Thanks for posting pics, Dreams! I was pretty excited to see the skating rink! I don't skate, but it looked like fun. I decided that the ice in the rink is what made it so dang cold when I was down there on NYE!! Brrrrr! LOL!!

Looks cute! I like how they tied in the Fairies so its still Disney. Any idea when it's set to be removed?

Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter