• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Downloading movies to ipad?

DisFam95

DIS Veteran
OK I admit I'm not too tech savvy! We're going on a trip soon and I'm trying to download movies to the ipad. Last time I thought I had everything right because they were in my itunes and I could see them on my device and was all excited but they would not play on the plane!!! I learned I had to actually download them onto the device. Well there's not enough storage.

I'm guessing I can "delete" a bunch of apps they don;t use or rarely use and add the movie then later once were; back I can always put the app back on there right?

I wish I knew how much space was needed before I go picking off a few apps then retrying the download.

I got the MyMoviesAnywhere app but I'm guessing that's the same thing - I need a wifi connection? They would not play on a plane?

Thanks for any help!

What kind of movies? I'm assuming you're talking about the kind that are made available via a code that can then be used to get a copy to download into iTunes. Disney makes this available if you buy a DVD or Blu-Ray copy with an included digital download, as well as via Disney Movies Anywhere. I think the only one I got directly without using a code was The Incredibles since it was a free bonus for signing up. I'd previously downloaded movies directly to iTunes with a code. I'm pretty sure you can buy just digital copies.

At least on iTunes for OSX, I find the movie in my list of movies and drag it to the left where it displays my iPad. Of course it doesn't work if you're low on storage on your iPad (16 GB is too little).

I've also got a couple of other movies that came with "digital copy" codes. Universal movies actually allow a download to iTunes, which I can then copy over to an Ipad, as well other online systems. However, I got a copy of The Lego Movie (Warner) for my kid, and the only way I found to get a copy that I could view on an iPad was to set it up using Flixster. I could select movies where I had entered a code, and I could choose to download (not high def) it for viewing through the Flixster app. It's stored on my iPad, taking up about 1.5 GB. That's a lot of data, but my

There are other ways, and I think it has a lot to do with how you obtained the movie.

I'm guessing I can "delete" a bunch of apps they don;t use or rarely use and add the movie then later once were; back I can always put the app back on there right?

You could certainly try, but I doubt you've got enough apps to make enough of a dent for more than one movie. Most apps use very little storage capacity. A high def movie takes about 2.5-5 GB depending on its length and how much digital compression was used.

I remember going on a trip with a base (16 GB) model iPad Mini 2. We basically had two movies loaded on it - Frozen and Jungle Book. There wasn't room for much else after other videos, apps, and room to take photos. I might have been able to squeeze one more small movie in there but chose not to.

What size is your iPad? Go to Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage That will tell you how much space you're using, what you have available and what is taking up your space. From there you can decide what can go and what to keep. If you download the movies through iTunes on your computer you can choose to download them in SD instead of HD and be able to get a little more on there. (There's a little box to check near the bottom of the screen) If your Disney Movies Anywhere app is linked to iTunes any movie you have in there should be in your iTunes library.

What size is your iPad? Go to Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage That will tell you how much space you're using, what you have available and what is taking up your space. From there you can decide what can go and what to keep. If you download the movies through iTunes on your computer you can choose to download them in SD instead of HD and be able to get a little more on there. (There's a little box to check near the bottom of the screen) If your Disney Movies Anywhere app is linked to iTunes any movie you have in there should be in your iTunes library.

I found out quickly that the base 16 GB version just isn't adequate. I like that the bump is now to 64 GB for the latest model iPads and iPhones, which is enough room for lots of video. However, after my kid dropped my iPad Mini 2 on pavement (twice) I found a good deal on a new iPad Mini 2 32 GB (using it right now), which is cheaper because it's now an older model. I've got six movies loaded right now and could probably cram more if I downloaded the SD versions of two movies on Flixster and deleted the HD ones.

I found out quickly that the base 16 GB version just isn't adequate. I like that the bump is now to 64 GB for the latest model iPads and iPhones, which is enough room for lots of video. However, after my kid dropped my iPad Mini 2 on pavement (twice) I found a good deal on a new iPad Mini 2 32 GB (using it right now), which is cheaper because it's now an older model. I've got six movies loaded right now and could probably cram more if I downloaded the SD versions of two movies on Flixster and deleted the HD ones.
Did you mean to quote me? I'm kind of confused by your reply in response to my post. I was trying to help the OP come up with room and give another option. If they have the bare minimum on a 16GB iPad, depending on the movie they can fit 3 to5 SD movies. Won't leave room for much else but it can be done. I moved my kids up to 32s because I got tired of having to clean everything up before a trip. I would have them load three different movies each so they could switch off but kids tend to watch the same movie over and over so getting 2 or 3 should work for the OP.

Did you mean to quote me? I'm kind of confused by your reply in response to my post. I was trying to help the OP come up with room and give another option. If they have the bare minimum on a 16GB iPad, depending on the movie they can fit 3 to5 SD movies. Won't leave room for much else but it can be done. I moved my kids up to 32s because I got tired of having to clean everything up before a trip. I would have them load three different movies each so they could switch off but kids tend to watch the same movie over and over so getting 2 or 3 should work for the OP.

Yeah, I did mean to quote you. I took the whole quote for convenience since I was composing on a iPad Mini and its a pain to try to trim text without a mouse or even a trackpad. Really, my response was really only meant to expound on your first sentence. I realize the OP may not be able to do anything now, but I found out quickly that the base model may be inadequate if one intends on loading lots of movies for a long trip.

If anyone is looking into it now, the 32 GB iPad Mini 2 is at a good price point. I bought mine for $319, which was less than I paid for a 16 GB version just last year (and which needs a screen repair). The Mini 3 doesn't perform any better (same processor, display, and cameras), but it does have a fingerprint sensor. The "bump" for $100 more is to 64 GB.

The other thing I noticed is that the Mini is popular for kids, but my kid trashed one. Once it's fixed I'm going to get a "childproof" foam case. I got one for a Kindle Fire HDX 7, and basically it can be dropped on a flat, hard surface without any damage. It might not survive hitting something sticking out, but it still covers most possible drops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter