Doubletree DTD 9/1 - 9/4: just back

Cinderellafifi

<font color=CC66CC>Remembers people walking around
We just returned from our Labor Day Weekend trip to Walt Disney! :cool1: I made reservations for the Doubletree Downtown Disney back in February through the Mousesaver rate of $85 per night, breakfast included. I had never stayed at the resort before.

PROS:
*Excellent customer service
*Fast check-in for adults and kids (they get a treat bag) and we all got cookies!
*Nice size suite
*Extra clean room
*Comfy mattress and pillows
*Very, very quiet room
*Easy bus system to DTD (did not use for the parks)

CONS:
*Beds are very small (double)
*Air conditioner was just awful - the room was always humid and at night we woke up sweating
*A/C filter changed, but problem not fixed
*If you get a room at the end of the hall, you have a long walk to the elevator
*Free breakfast was very limited in choice, but free. Upgrade to hot cost $7 per person extra for only 4 additional choices

Overall, this was a fantastic deal for the price we paid. (Thank you, Mousesavers). The room was a great size for 2 adults and 2 kids and the bathroom was huge. The suite was brightly lit where necessary.

The suite was very clean (each day) and had a great working fridge, microwave, small coffee maker, and sink in the kitchen. The bedroom was separated by sloted doors. The double beds were tiny, but comfy. The bathroom was a good size.

Unfortunately, the room was downright humid. Although the air blew continuously, it did not blow cold. None of us could sleep through the night due to the warmth of the room. This is a dealbreaker for me and I did complain. They were very apologetic, but the problem was not resolved.

Since our breakfast was free, I did not expect anything special. I got just that. Cold selections include cereal, bagel, pastries, etc., sliced fruit, yogurt. Hot selections include oatmeal and grits. You can upgrade for $7 per person to get eggs and bacon/sausages. That's it. We have had "free" breakfast before at Buena Vista Suites (lots of breakfast choices, good but not gourment) and at Sheraton Safari (excellent breakfast), so I was somewhat disappointed with Doubletree's offerings.

The kids enjoyed a day at the pool which is very basic in design. It does have an outdoor bar (we did not patron so I have no report).

I have debated whether or not I would stay there again...I think due to the A/C issue, I would be very reluctant. But they treated us very, very well and that is very important when you are on vacation. Every time we called for something, a person was at our door in less than 5 minutes.

Our stay was pleasant and I would say that Doubletree is certainly a good choice for those looking for a nice hotel with nice suites. I hope others find this helpful! :wave2:

We stayed for a week in July 2005. We got a great Mousesavers rate as well ($79 per night). We got tons of free cookies (every time we went to the front desk they gave us cookies, kind of like the candy bars at the Hershey Lodge & Convention Center). I thought the breakfast was okay as well, however for the mediocre selection, they should have it set up like other Hilton hotels and have you serve and seat yourself. It annoys me to have to leave a tip every morning for someone to bring me juice and coffee when I have to get up and get my own food.

Our room was super clean as well. I was very pleasantly surprised. We did use the buses a couple of times even though we rented a car. The buses were as good as Disney buses, and we never waited that long, nor did we have to stand. I thought the location was much better than most of the Disney resorts. Most of the Disney resorts are isolated. I liked the fact that the Doubletree was very close to DTD, Typhoon Lagoon, and the Winn Dixie!
We thought the pool was okay, much like the quiet pools at the Disney resorts.

This year we stayed at POR with the free dining. I don't think POR was worth anymore money than the $79 per night we paid at the Doubletree.

Sorry about the a/c situation. Did you ask for another room, or was it too much of a hassle for you to move??

Great review. Thanks. Sorry to hear about the A/C. Still interested in this place. I think the s service may make or break a decision to stay in DTD area.

We just got back today. We stayed at Doubletree Guest Suites for 2 nights on the weekend. We checked in late Friday night and got a room on the 4th floor. We had no complaints. We paid $95 with the Mousesave rate. We did received coupons for the continental breakfast. DH opted for the hot buffet for $7 extra. He had a very large omlette with meat and potatoes in additon to anything on the cold buffet and that included the juice and hot beverage.
We moved over to Music on Sunday so that we could go to EMH at the Magic Kingdom and MNSSHP on MOnday night. We stayed at Holiday Inn Select last night at the airport. All in all it was a good, last minute, trip. We had the $59 OW fare on Jet Blue for Newark NJ.
Michele

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter