Double Stroller vs. Two small Umbrella Strollers?

DocSooner

Earning My Ears
I've read over some of the posts on strollers in the parks and was curious as to your opinions. I see many of you use the rental strollers or double strollers. I wish I could spend the extra money on one of the nice swivel wheel double strollers but all my budget is going into 10 days at the World! Here's my question: My wife and I are taking my 3 yo DD and 1 yo DD for 10 days with hoppers in May. We have a non-swivel wheel jog stroller which I gather is a bad idea in the parks. Should we spend $100 on a cheaper double stroller or just get two inexpensive and lightweight umbrella strollers? It seems the Umbrella strollers would be relatively mobile and easy to get onto buses & monorails? I guess I'm a little suprised that everyone seems to use one big double stroller instead of pushing two small lightweight singles? Is there something I'm not thinking of? Thanks for your help I definately don't want unhappy kido's all week!

We took two strollers two years ago and it's not a problem. The only downside is that you're both pushing strollers - if that's an issue. I would definitely not buy a double just for the trip - use what you have. And one of my strollers last time was a jogging stroller and I would not recommend using one. Very hard to maneuver and my arms hurt after the first day.

:moped: Go for the two strollers. My husband and I both push a stroller and it is much easier to get through the crowds and shops that way. I would recommend a reclining stroller for your youngest child - better for sleeping and such. My oldest just uses one of those cheap umbrella strollers. In the past we did use one of those enormous front to back double strollers - it was a pain to load and unload from the busses and very difficult to push through the crowds.

When my boys were 3 and 15 months, I brought our double stroller, the ones that sit one in front and one in back. Worse mistake ever! Dragging it on the buses was aweful and I broke one on of the wheels to boot! So I ended up renting at MK, a double. Which was great, until the 15 month old fell asleep. He was then very slouched and leaning against his brother, who did not care, but still, plus with the sun those strollers are plastic and heat up. We are going again this September, with 3 boys ages 7, 5 and 3. I will rent again. But for the age of your girls, I recommend an umbrella for each, one that reclines with the covering for the youngest or for both. They even make side by side umbrella's that are under $50-$35, I believe.

It depends. If you are planning on splitting up much (ie, I'll take kid one to dumbo while you take kid 2 to HM) then I'd go with two umbrella strollers. If not, I would rent double strollers at the world.

I am going at the end of the week with my dh and two d kids, and we are going to rent a double stroller. It is easy to move around, and better for me then hauling mine in and out of the disney buses, my car, etc. Just my preference. Also you can rent them multi-day and get a cost break I understand if you tell them you want to rent for say 4 days, etc. I will try that this trip and let you know. :earboy2:

I wouldn't go with umbrella stroller, because I don't like them much. Espcailly for a 1 year old. Not enough support, shade or recline. No try in the front to put toys or snacks in.

2 strollers isn't a bad idea. There is a post floating around here (I love this stroller) it is combi for #30 each. If you get stroller conencters ($10) you can have it sometimes be double, sometimes single. They are small, light and fold up well. Good shade and bars with cup holders. Much better then a cheap umbrella stroller. (there are nice umbrellas stroller, but they aren't cheap.)

I can't decide if you should bring our peg pergo aira tiwn (we got it just to WDW) or our comi stroller and the backpack stroller.

I'd go for two reasonably inexpensive umbrella strollers. We got my ds a nice umbrella stroller with a reclining back, canopy, and basket for about $40. This way if you and your DW could split up and each take one child if you had to.

Found this below info on renting Disney strollers at the mousesavers website, I copied it below for you to look at regarding multi-day rentals, etc:

Disney offers a discount of 10% (or more) for multi-day stroller rentals. A multi-day rental will also save you time, because you'll be given a receipt that allows you to go up to the cast member dispensing the strollers, have them stamp your receipt, get your stroller and you’re off! No more waiting in the long cashier line to pay for a daily rental. In addition, they will refund any unused days. Thanks to Julie S and Lisa C for additional info.

Hold on to your receipt! If you misplace your stroller, present the receipt and they'll replace it without charge. Also, the fee covers rental for the whole day, even if you "hop" between parks on the same day. So if you start the day at one park and then move on to another park later, keep your receipt from the first park and present it at the stroller rental. They'll issue you a stroller at the second park without additional charge.

Bringing your own stroller will, of course, save you quite a bit of money. However, this may be counterbalanced by the hassles of getting it to Walt Disney World and then loading it on and off buses, monorails and boats (if you use Disney transportation) or in and out of a car trunk (if you'll have a car at Disney).

Rent, Rent and Rent....We tried the 2 umbrella strollers 2 years ago and I personally hated it. You see, DH is the stroller pusher guy; and having the 2 umbrella's meant that my freedom was gone. That is almost my only time "alone" is when the kids are in the stroller; then last year we rented the doubles and everyone was happy again.

I would definitely go with 2 strollers. I went in October with my girls each in a lightweight umbrella (had canopy and storage on bottom) and used stroller connectors. It was wonderful. When one person had to push both kids we connected the strollers, or when it was really crowded and we didn't want to separate we connected as well. It was much easier to get on/off the monorail and we didn't require the handicap car. I prefer bringing a stroller to renting because you have to leave your rented stroller at the parks. so if your child falls asleep, you end up carrying them.

we went with two umbrella type strollers when we took our boys 2 years ago when they were almost 3. we also took along a set of stroller connectors, which gave us the best of both worlds. We could easily maneuver through the parks with the small mobile strollers, but each parent could take a bit of a break, or ride a grown up ride leaving the other parent with two connectred strollers.

My concern with renting is if those strollers are good for a one year old. The ones at AK were hard plastic last time we were there. I am glad you posted this because we have the same problem. I am leaning toward two strollers because I don't know if my DS(30 months at the time we go) will even want to be in the stroller all the time anyway. But I have never heard of stroller clips? What are these and will they only work with similar strollers?
As an aside we bought a cheaper Combi umbrella stroller last trip $30 and my DS loved it so much that is now the only stroller he really will sit in.

We haven't rented strollers in the park but we have gone with several different stroller combinations! I would say in deciding between a double (either rental or your own) or two singles, consider your family's touring style and park conditions when you are traveling. We've used a sit and stand, two different side by side doubles (one that folded flat and a double umbrella) and two single strollers. We do a lot of "you take the kids on Dumbo, I'll get a fast pass for Buzz and meet you at Pooh." sort of things so the double worked great for us. If we seperate where we each take one kid, it's not often and it's for very brief periods (like for a potty break). It's also in the same area (as in our oldest doesn't care for Barnstormer so he and Dad tour Minnie's house while the youngetst and I ride the Barnstormer a few times. If your family is more likely to tour in such a way where each of you will have one child and do seperate things, then 2 singles is definitely the way to go. Consider also if your oldest will want to hop out and walk some. If so, will she be OK walking on her own since you will both be pushing a stroller and not free to hold her hand? Some kids are fine with this, others need hand holding at all times. The exception, IMHO, is if you are going at a really busy time. Our last trip was from 12/24 to 1/1 so we knew it was going to be insanely busy. For that trip, we did decide to use 2 singles because of the crowds. I figured it would be easier to navigate through the sea of humanity on Main St. if we could go "single file" rather than with a big wide double (and I say this as a Mom who loves my double umbrella and have not had problems with it being to wide for doorways and shops). We brought a Peg Perego Pliko for my 2 year old and a Maclaren Volo for my 4 year old (both of which we owned...didn't purchase a new one for the trip). This worked fine b/c if we did do a "you go ride this, I'll get fast passes for that" deal, the 4 year old could ride on the step at the back of the Pliko if he was too tired to walk.

As for ease on the monorial or busses, I didn't have a single problem with our side by side doubles. In the 2 trips I used them (one staying at VWL and one at the Poly) I never had to wait for a second monorail to get onto the handicapped car. It folded pretty compact and was never any problem getting on to busses or anything with. We could even roll right on to the WL boats. The plus to the double is that only one of us was fooling with the stroller; the other was free to "fool" with the kids. ;) When we had the 2 singles we each had strollers to contend with. Fortunately the Volo is SO light and has a shoulder carrying strap when folded so we could have one parent manage both strollers and the park bag while the other managed the kids.

stroller connectors are a set of clips - hard plastic, they made by one of the companies that does baby proofing stuff - I think One Step Ahead has them in their catalog, and we found ours at the right start. They cost about $10. They do have to be used on identicle, or at least very similar strollers. The connected strollers are not as narrow, or as manueverable as the really good double strollers, but still, it is pretty handy.

A side-by-side double (umbrella type) worked well for us. We already had one (didn't buy it just for Disney), so spending the money on it wasn't an issue. We have used it before and will be using again for our next trip in one week. Two strollers would not have been as convenient for us because we were never in a situation where our kids wanted to go on different rides and DH and I split up with one kid each. However, we did often find ourselves in a situation where DH or I would wait in line for an adult ride, and the one who stayed back with the kids would take them to get an ice cream or look for characters. That would have been very difficult for one person to manage with 2 strollers.

If you think the two of you will be splitting up a lot, then the two strollers might work for you. I also think the stroller connectors that another poster mentioned would be a great idea.

Paula

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter