double stroller advice needed

christibelle

Earning My Ears
I am trying to decide which kind of double stroller to bring. I have a very nice tandem double stroller. However, my concern is that the child in the back will not be able to see well over the canopy in front (we usually keep it removed, but with the Florida sun I know we will need it). It is also quite heavy and fairly difficult to collapse. I purchased a used side by side stroller so they would both feel a part of the action. It feels lighter and is easier for me to collapse. However, I have become concerned about the width of the stroller. Will it fit through the doorway at the resort? (All Star Movies?) What about doorways into exhibits? What are the pros and cons of a side by side versus a tandem?

I would appreciate any first hand experiences you have of using both kinds of strollers and what your opinion is on which one I should bring. Thanks a bunch!! :D

I can answer some of your questions. Standard minimum door width for wheelchair access is 36 inches, so if your stroller is narrower than that, you won't have any problems.
Strollers are not allowed in most of the exhibit buildings, waiting lines or show areas in any of the parks (except for special needs children who are using a stroller as a wheelchair with a special card). You will find stroller parking areas outside of most buildings.

You shouldn't have any problem getting the stroller through the door of the resort, but the previous poster is correct, strollers aren't allowed into any of the exhibits, waiting lines, etc. You are allowed to take them into the shops though, and it is a little tough moving around with them, but it can be done. Just be slow, and take your time. I took my double side by side many times, and I never had a problem. You will have to fold up your double to get on/off the busses, and any boats. If you ride the monorail if there is nobody in the handicapped car, you can push the side by side in that car, but if it is needed, you will have to take the children out and fold it up.

we rented the doubles that disney had onsite & they were great for our 3 & 6 yr olds....we couldn't have had as much fun as we did w/o them....if you have your own, bring it....if not, then rent....but for god's sake, don't try to do it with out .

akrake

You didn't mention the ages of your children but if you don't think you will need it for the resort and or DTD you may just want to rent at the parks. For us once they were in the 3 to 4 yo range this worked best as we didn't have to lug the stroller on and off the bus, tram, boat, monorail well you get the idea !! All the info on the strollers, including prices and pictures can be found at www.wdwig.com - as well as tips for traveling with babies and preschoolers.

If they are younger and you don't want to spend $$ on another double perhaps a weekly rental from an offisite company would work. My sil used baby's away (don't know website) and baby's best friend www.abbf.com both were great. Dropped off and picked up equipment at the resort. Everything was in great shape and cost much lest than a WDW stroller rental. They offer a side by side double as well as a tandum with "stadium seating" where the rear child is elevated - perhaps this could work for you. They show a picture as well as a price for all equipment on the website. My sil used a single stroller and a full size crib on our trip last May and was very happy.

Of course if you want/need another double then happy shopping! I always found going to the store with kiddos and testing the merchandise was the only way to go.

TJ

I've had both strollers. I much prefer the side by side. If you rent a double stroller at the park, they are side by side. If you have not used your side by side, I would use it before you go. Then you can see how you like and get you kids use to it. When I first switched from tandem double to the side by side, my kids fought with each other because they were sitting so close. They did get use to it but it took some time

If both your kids are young enough that they will nap in the stroller, have you thought about bringing two regular sized ones? We did that and didn't regret it for a minute. The ones you rent do not recline, nor do they have tons of storage for diapers, wipes, etc. (all the 'stuff' you need for little ones). Our next trip, both kids will be old enough that they won't have to nap during the day so we'll be renting. But, when they were younger, we were very glad we took both regular strollers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter