Doorway To Dreams Member Holiday Event - Never Again

Did you go on a tour? Only people who went on a tour got the bags. Did you ask any of the cast members about the additional items, or just come here and complain? I'm sure if you asked nicely, they would have accomodated you.

As for your analogy, no, I don't think I would complain about not getting free oil changes for a car I did not buy. If I didn't meet the requirements, I shouldn't get the incentives. If I bought the car, I would expect it, just like I would expect the additional gift bag if I took the tour yesterday.

OK, bad analogy. How about this: You check in at AKL. You get the room you asked for. Later, you're talking to other guests. You find out that they, like you, had reserved a 1 BR standard view. However, they tell you that when THEY checked in, they were moved up to a Concierge level Savanna view, and got comped for the safari.
Would your reaction be, "Wow, Disney is great. Four OTHER families got a great deal. I didn't. My tough luck."?

Inequities happen, and I just don't think it's worth spending too much time discussing or feeling sorry for oneself. I'm sort of annoyed at myself for reading these theads, but I did, and so I'm commenting. If I felt that bad, I would write to whomever, explain my feelings and hopefully move on.

This is the week expecially to be Thankful for what we have been given.

Bobbi

That's what I think people around here call "Pixie Dust". Another bad analogy.
OK, bad analogy. How about this: You check in at AKL. You get the room you asked for. Later, you're talking to other guests. You find out that they, like you, had reserved a 1 BR standard view. However, they tell you that when THEY checked in, they were moved up to a Concierge level Savanna view, and got comped for the safari.
Would your reaction be, "Wow, Disney is great. Four OTHER families got a great deal. I didn't. My tough luck."?

I don't "feel sorry for myself." I'm just mildly annoyed that a company that prides itself on customer service in this instance seemed to do an inadequate job.
Otherwise, I am very pleased with my DVC ownership. Hey, I own for 2 years. As soon as I got my points I was able to book in December for January 2010 Anaheim (to visit my elderly aunt and uncle), got my bucket list wish of AKL--and the room location couldn't have been better. In 9 days I leave for OKW (waitlist for BWV didn't come through), and in January I go to Hawaii, to a fantastic resort, and pay less than a 1/3 of rack rate for my room! AND get free parking there.

That's what I think people around here call "Pixie Dust". Another bad analogy.

That was my thought exactly--at least in relation to the room upgrade example given. I would hope anyone who has made at least a couple trips to the Disney parks has experienced some form of "pixie dust" or "Disney magic." And that "magic" typically takes the form of some perk or benefit which is not doled-out to every single guest walking through the door.

It's not a perfect analogy to event gift bags but a big part of Disney's customer service reputation involves going the extra mile rather than providing each guest with an identical (generic) experience.

Jeepers where to begin...... I usually just read the threads on here because I usually don't feel inclined to take the time to respond. Today, however, I think I have something to bring to the table.

These events, while never perfect, are always a great time for me and the family. I love getting the goodies that they have there and finding out what new things are going on in DVC. And in case people missed the memo, Disney is a FOR PROFIT organization, so they will obviously give you an opportunity to buy points, but I never think that they are pushy about it. Maybe I saw a different version of the presentation but the "sales pitch" was MAYBE 5 minutes of the whole thing. I always want to add on and these events always make it super duper tempting.

I agree with the people who say that some members have a sense of entitlement. What was so terrible about yesterday, you had a FREE event, with FREE cupcakes (from an EXPENSIVE bakery) and nobody pounced on me to try and make me buy points. Perhaps we should occupy DVC and demand 24k gold mickey statues, a menu of poached komodo dragon eggs and fillet mignon, and an appearance by the entire cast of high school musical at the next event.... WHO'S WITH ME!

I really don't understand the perception some people are laboring under.
I've been flamed for saying organization was inadequate in unequally distributing gift bags.
The response is that we should be grateful for anything DVC gives us or does for us.
Well, folks, here's the real best kept secret: DVC is a FOR PROFIT corporation. Anything they do for us, and any "gift" they give us, is to promote their business.
And here's another secret: any "gift" they give us, well, folks--we paid for it with our "dues"!
Any "gift" we get, any "pixie dust," any upgrade or bonus--it is NOT because they are Mother Theresa and are a benevolent entity whose sole purpose is to make our lives lovely. Whatever they do as a "bonus" is solely to make our perception of the value of our ownership more positive.

Jeepers where to begin...... I usually just read the threads on here because I usually don't feel inclined to take the time to respond. Today, however, I think I have something to bring to the table.

These events, while never perfect, are always a great time for me and the family. I love getting the goodies that they have there and finding out what new things are going on in DVC. And in case people missed the memo, Disney is a FOR PROFIT organization, so they will obviously give you an opportunity to buy points, but I never think that they are pushy about it. Maybe I saw a different version of the presentation but the "sales pitch" was MAYBE 5 minutes of the whole thing. I always want to add on and these events always make it super duper tempting.

I agree with the people who say that some members have a sense of entitlement. What was so terrible about yesterday, you had a FREE event, with FREE cupcakes (from an EXPENSIVE bakery) and nobody pounced on me to try and make me buy points. Perhaps we should occupy DVC and demand 24k gold mickey statues, a menu of poached komodo dragon eggs and fillet mignon, and an appearance by the entire cast of high school musical at the next event.... WHO'S WITH ME!

"Entitlement"? Nah, I'm not entitled to anything. My nearly $2,000 a year in dues goes to support the Benevolent Society of Disney Vacation Club. If they want me to attend a sales session to try to sell me points I can get cheaper elsewhere, I am flattered they asked me. If they lure me in with the promise of "free gifts" that I actually pay for with my dues, they are doing me a big, big favor.
I am just so grateful to DVC for allowing me to use the points they graciously issue me EVERY YEAR(!!!!)--to book a room at one of the fine resorts they maintain for the betterment of mankind.

From the sound of it, I'm REALLY glad I decided to skip this one. I'll be stopping by there tomorrow while I'm out shopping on LI and will stop in to pick up my ornament. A fraction of the time the people spent there on Sunday apparently, with the same outcome. Nice.

1) I don't think Disney being a "for profit" organization is a secret :scared1:
2) Nowhere in my paperwork does it say that I am entitled to free stuff, so yes, I am grateful for free stuff
3) Wait a minute.....you mean they want me to buy more points? :confused3
4) Unless we signed up for different programs, Annual Dues go to property tax and upkeep, not marketing. I just checked, and yeah, nothing in my paperwork about marketing.
5) Did you really expect there to be a Disney event and there NOT be a line? :rotfl2:
6) Here is a guy with cool 3-D glasses. I put him in because I liked him
:3dglasses

I guess we went to two different programs, or perhaps we have different definitions of sales presentations. As I previously mentioned the "sales pitch" was maybe 5 minutes. The presentation I sat through was talking about things such as the Fantasyland expansion, or the two member cruises, or Cars Land out at DL in Cali........ Maybe there were subliminal messages throughout the whole presentation that only lasted 1/1000 of a second.

There are others here that know more than me, but I don't think these things are paid for out of our maintenance fees. They have a separate budget for marketing, which is probably built into the initial cost. So I guess that we do pay for it indirectly, but that's a bit of a stretch.

I am getting tired of arguing this, but I'm afraid that a few malcontents may cause Disney to ditch these evens, and that would be a shame.

I'm willing to call a truce if you are. Lets save up our energy to complain about the next free perk that they eliminate, OK?

There are others here that know more than me, but I don't think these things are paid for out of our maintenance fees. They have a separate budget for marketing, which is probably built into the initial cost. So I guess that we do pay for it indirectly, but that's a bit of a stretch.

I am getting tired of arguing this, but I'm afraid that a few malcontents may cause Disney to ditch these evens, and that would be a shame.

I'm willing to call a truce if you are. Lets save up our energy to complain about the next free perk that they eliminate, OK?

I enjoyed the event, and look forward to the next one. But I would point out that if people are more annoyed by the way they are organized than the pleasure they get out of it, it is counter-productive.

Disney will ditch these sales events when the marketing department decides that they aren't making them money.

:earsboy: Bill

I really don't understand the perception some people are laboring under.
I've been flamed for saying organization was inadequate in unequally distributing gift bags.
The response is that we should be grateful for anything DVC gives us or does for us.

It's apparent that DVC was overwhelmed by the response. They expected crowds similar to last year and instead attendance was quite a bit larger.

But I still don't follow your thinking that any Disney venture is a massive failure if all guests are not treated equally.

Earlier you asked if I would be mad if another guest received a room upgrade and I did not. The answer is no, no, a thousand times no. I may be a bit envious but certainly not mad at Disney for giving one guest something that I did not receive.

It all goes back to this idea of Disney "pixie dust." Two or three years ago Disney ran their Year of a Million Dreams promotion. Every day hundreds of guests received free FASTPASS tickets, pins and other small perks as prizes. Should Disney have not run that promotion simply because not every guest was able to win something?

Over the years our kids have been handed stickers, balloons, tattoos and other trinkets by Cast Members. One time my wife and kids were walked to the front of an attraction line by a CM after striking up a conversation. Are those all examples of poor Disney service simply because not every guest received the same benefits?

In my mind the key is delivering at least what was promised. If they promised you character meets, refreshments and a holiday ornament, that is what they are obligated to deliver.

And here's another secret: any "gift" they give us, well, folks--we paid for it with our "dues"!

No, they are not. They are sales and marketing expenses which are funded by Disney Vacation Development NOT Disney Vacation Club.

You may think there's not much distinction but if Disney discontinued all of the free handouts and promotional parties, your dues would not go down by a penny. It's Disney's own money paying for these events.

We ventured to the even yesterday also. My family has been to DtD many times as so many of you have and enjoy going to take the tour, talk with CM's, trade pins and just get our Disney fix.

That being said, we went with another family and neither of us were very impressed or have a strong desire to go again next year.

First the positive. The CM's were nice, you got a free ornament and one CM even gave our kids pins even though they forgot theirs at home to trade. Thought that was VERY nice.

The not so good? Well, I have to agree with everyone that posted about the lack of organization. While it was not "out of hand" unorganized it could have been done better. We arrived just after 11, waited over 1 hour for the Mary Popins dance, then waited in the lobby for a bit before deciding we waited long enough, and left. While the kids really wanted to take the tour, there was no way they were waiting longer, then sitting through a presentation/sales pitch.

As the original poster stated they were given fast passes to come back later. That would have been a good option to offer everyone. Not sure why some were selected and others not. At Disney everyone has the option of doing fastpass. I gladly would have done that and cut done on some of the waiting. We even asked if it was possible to skip the Mary Poppins dance and were told no, we had to wait until our turn for Mary Poppins, then could skip the actual dance but had to wait until our group was finished with the dance, before going to the lobby. They should have made Mary Poppins and option. If you did not want to do that you could see the presentation and take the tour. Not sure why we had to wait to do the dance.

As for the individuals that keep saying the cupcakes were from Crumbs. Yes I know what Cumbs is and have had them, and yes they are expensive. But lets stop raving about the gourmet cupcakes and knocking the OP that compared them to homemade cupcakes. Crumbs is not that good. Just overpriced. Just because something is expensive doesn't mean it is good. Yes it was nice to get free cupcakes but not sure why I should be more thankful they were Crumbs.

The OP never said homemade. I, for one, feel homemade is better than Crumbs. But he was just so biased and bent on slamming the event, that he even put down what many consider a luxury item. Kind of makes you wonder what else he blew out of proportion in his post. To me, the fact that they served Crumbs, and not some bulk, generic item from somewhere like Costco shows that they went a little above what was promised and/or expected.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter