Door signs

mambrose

Mouseketeer
hello this is our first disney cruise and it is teh kids christmaspresent- we are doi ng teh dec 16th wonder- we will be in disney 2 days before and tehn a week after. Where can i get stuff for these door magnets? can i buy regular magnets to stick to the door? It is also 2 of teh kids birthdays while we are on teh cruise so i would like to do something themed for that- please help- i know they will be mad we do not hae door decorations if alot of other people do!!

Well, a 'lot' of people won't have their doors decorated. Door decorating is more a Dis thing; most other people are clueless.

However, if you want to look into it, I'd suggest the Cruise Magnets and links thread on this forum. The cruise magnets are the photos/signs/etc that folks use for decorating. The thread has a ton of pictures that can be used to make your personalized magnets (the doors are metal and tape/sticky stuff is forbidden).

If you're not into making graphics there are also folks who - out of the goodness of their hearts - will design signs for you. You just print them out and affix a magnetic backing (or print on magnetic paper) and voila!

The disBoards also has a Creative forum that may be helpful.

Have fun pixiedust:

There are also good ideas on another Cruise Line forum thread: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=838817&page=162 This is the "what does your door look like" thread. Both the magnet thread and that thread have great ideas. And like M4travel wrote, there are designers who will personalize signs for you just because they love to design :cool1:

These 'DIS'igners can be found in the "Just for Fun" section of Disboards under Creative DISigns. Look at some of the designer's work -- it's just incredible. Some of the designers' names are Pat, Amy, and Rumblytumbly (there are many others as well.) If you're not into making the signs yourself, find some signs you like and they'll personalize for free and very quickly! Here's a sign Pat made for us:
malificent-ship1.jpg

And here's one made by Amy (I added the name underneath myself -- I'm trying to learn how to do some of this myself):
pirateprincessE.jpg

These are only two examples of their incredible work!:dance3:

My best hint is to buy the refrigerator magnetic photo pockets. Michael's has them very cheap (around $3-4 for an 8 x 10) You can print up various pictures or signs from the computer and then interchange them through out the cruise. It is better than just adding magnets to the back of something since it will protect the item. We also took a dry erase pen and wrote notes on the outside.

A lot of folks buy the Magnetic Copy Paper. From what I understand, it is a bit pricey. I usually use the Magnetic Tape. It's sticky on one side and you just put it on the back of your sign and your done. If you know of any place that laminates, all the better.

My best hint is to buy the refrigerator magnetic photo pockets. Michael's has them very cheap (around $3-4 for an 8 x 10) You can print up various pictures or signs from the computer and then interchange them through out the cruise. It is better than just adding magnets to the back of something since it will protect the item. We also took a dry erase pen and wrote notes on the outside.

We used these on our last cruise. They worked great. I like that we'll be able to use them again and again. All we have to do is change out the design.

Also, I wouldn't say that "a lot" of people had them, but I am thankful for those that did. We always knew which way to go because we looked for the doors with the familiar signs. It was also easy for our kiddos to find our door (when they'd run ahead of us) because of the sign. We did also see quite a few doors with just regular magnets on them -- nothing big or fancy, so anything will work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter