Dolphin Encounter/ or Dolphin Swim

brianpilon

Earning My Ears
any one book the dolphin encounter- or been on it. i have done the dolphin swim which is worth every cent, but never the encounter. taking a 4 and 6 yr old so may be worth it. trying to contact the dolphin place up and see if they will let us do it with my 4 yr old there just watching. the ship doesnt offer the dolphin swim but ill tell you what its worth every penny. nothing like sea world so dont compare. DO THE DOLPHIN WIM IF YOU ARE TRAVELING WITH KIDS OVER 6- THEY AND YOU WILL LOVE IT

We are cruising on Sept 2, (eastern) it will be our first time. I was also looking for a non-DCL excusion that my DH and DD 2 1/2 could observe as well. My two older DD are looking forward to doing this activity and the one on DCL is for about 7-8 hours in St. Martin so we really want do to somthing as a family. Does anyone have any ideas? or know of a place that will permit a small child to watch. :grouphug:

i have been on about 7-8 cruises and i have learned never to book with the cruise ship, unless your alone. first they usually cost more. second there always more crowded. i have always found better deals and better excursion once you get to the port. if thats to scary then find it online and book it that way. just make sure its a real company. but everyone who has gone with us in the past were very pleased with waiting till you get to the port. i have never done the dolphin thing at st martin. we did it in mexico. BUT TRUST ME- book the dolphin swim, not the encounter. man i did the dolphin swim and still cant beleive how amazing it was. NOTHING like seaworld- heard someone say they would wait to do it there. out of all the excursions i have been on the DOLPHIN SWIM was the best. and i have been on a few. carribean, mexico, bahamas. trust me. they usually let the younger ones go with you but they cant swim with the dolphins. think u need to be 6, i am in same boat- me and daughters in nassau- they did say the 4yr old could be with us but couldnt swim. which is fine with me. she love just being able to hug the dolphin anyways.

If you book the Nassau Dolphin Encounter directly with Blue Lagoon, children under 4 are free and can accompany you during the encounter. As long as your child won't be totally intimidated by the size of the very gentle dolphin, that's really the safest bet.

The observation area is about 10 feet above, and directly behind the encounter platform. I would be very hesitant to leave a child up there without adult supervision, as it's not really a direct line of sight while you're participating in your encounter.

For the encounter, everyone with that time was together for a brief orientation and educational segment. The group was then divided into smaller groups of about 30 people per trainer. Once we got to the encounter area, we were told to sit along the edge while the trainer reviewed a few directions. During that time the dolphins were swimming in from the lagoon to visit with us on their own. My DD was kicking in the water, and the dolphin looked at me for approval before splashing back. (NEAT!)

The trainer then had each family or group enter the water for a family photo with the dolphin. We were able to pick who got the kiss from the dolphin for that photo. That process went quickly. Then the trainer divided us into groups of 7-10 (maybe 2-3 families per group), and the first group (us!) entered the water to stand on the encounter platform. Those waiting sit on the edge of the encounter area to watch. The encounter area is essentially a large square dock with a square cut-out swimming area in the middle. The swimming area is part of the lagoon, not a contained pool. There's a platform in the water which is about thigh deep on an adult, but can get deeper as the water moves and sloshes. The water was chin-deep on my daughter, but she was fine holding our hands or standing on our feet for extra height.

The encounter consists of touching the dolphin's body, each person touching the dolphin's teeth, getting a kiss on the lips, a hug, and the chance to dance with the dolphin. The trainer we had conducted the encounter in an almost comedy-show fashion, throwing in behaviors (like having the dolphin make rasperry noises at little boys) and silly family-friendly comments. It was funny but educational and amazing all at the same time. Since the trainer was on a microphone system, those waiting their turn were enjoying watching and listening to the "show" that was our encounter.

When we were finished, we were sent back upstairs to the viewing area to watch our encounter on the closed-circuit TV with the option to buy a tape of the encounter. The photographers also printed the family picture and individual pictures which were available for sale.

On the way back to the Wonder, we knew to ask the captain to take us back to the cruise ship dock, which he did after dropping passengers back at the Paradise Island Ferry terminal. (There's a great thread from last fall which details the transportation aspects. We followed those directions with great success, and felt safe the entire time.)

My kids still talk about the dolphin excursion with great enthusiasm, so I'd definitely recommend it even for kids under 4, particularly those who love animals.

We did the Encounter on the Western - with kids age 3 and 7, and we all loved it. I know it wasn't the same as a swim would've been, but it was just perfect for my kids' ages. I booked with Disney, but wouldn't think twice about booking direct with Dolphin Discovery next time - I think it's cheaper. They have a web site if you are going on the Western. :)

I just found a site saint-martin-activites, does any one know how to find out if the company is a real company or not? I would hate to pay all this money and find out there was not such thing, I would like to book in advance, because knowing our luck if we don't it would be filled up once we get there and there will be 19 in our group party. Both my older DD 8 & 11 are looking forward to do this activity my DH and DD 2 will be the ones observing us.

a url is just the web address- and the dolphin swim and encounter do fill up so you should book that one. try and book directly through the dolphin program itself. only becareful if its with an agency from another country- hopr that helps

i hear you on that one- down to 40 days and its going so slow- then it will go by so fast once i am there- funny how there works out

i am doing the disney cruise for first time. prefer rccl but thought i would give disney a try- just doing the 3 night because we will be in disneyworld for 5 days b4. so think i am going to nassau and there island. but have done eastern and western carribean 7 night cruises. both were nice. did rccl for both those ones. love there ships, but i will totally tell you about this one too- sure i will be going again soon- next time no kids and maybe the alaskian cruise or hawain one. try new things

First time to Disney World? My sister lives in flordia and has time shares in Disney so we go there every year different parks each time the ones we like we go back to again and again.. Magic kingdom is the best and best for the kids, Animal kingdom in my option don't waste your money if you been to a great zoo before it's like going there but you have the characters rooming around, Ecpot will be to much for the kids way over there heads thats more for adults my kids didn't like that at all there, they got very bored with it. MGM that was good and blizzard beach they loved that. If time permits check out Downtown Disney they have alot of cool things there for both adults and kids as well. Good luck with your trip. I will be signing off now it's getting very late here and I have a early morning with the girls (softball season has began). Leave me messages for the afternoon if you need any pointers on Disney World. Which resort are you staying at?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter