Doing Work on a Disneyland Trip?

TexasJedi

Mouseketeer
My wife and I are exploring an extended trip to Disneyland this summer with a catch that hasn't come up before--I'm going to need to work a full day or maybe two of the days we're there.

I've read recommendations online suggesting the Grand Californian has some great quiet nooks, but we're currently looking at Pixar Place or the Disneyland Hotel. Anybody have tips on good spots for working on a computer and taking a couple of meetings in the mornings?

One idea I had was booking a Club level room and using the lounge in the mornings while my wife and kids sleep, but would it be seen as disrespectful to the lounge staff and/or other guests to snag a small table by myself for a couple of hours? I don't recall seeing other people work in the lounge the last time my family stayed at a Club level.

Another idea was looking into reserving a pool cabana, but I'm not sure how strong the WiFi would be out there or how early I could use it--I'm sure I could call for more info if it's an avenue worth pursuing.

Just looking for any ideas/suggestions/experiences to help me get an idea of how to make the most of the trip. Of course we could shorten the trip to not overlap with the days I'd have to work...but what's the fun in that? :earboy2:

My wife and I are exploring an extended trip to Disneyland this summer with a catch that hasn't come up before--I'm going to need to work a full day or maybe two of the days we're there.

I've read recommendations online suggesting the Grand Californian has some great quiet nooks, but we're currently looking at Pixar Place or the Disneyland Hotel. Anybody have tips on good spots for working on a computer and taking a couple of meetings in the mornings?

One idea I had was booking a Club level room and using the lounge in the mornings while my wife and kids sleep, but would it be seen as disrespectful to the lounge staff and/or other guests to snag a small table by myself for a couple of hours? I don't recall seeing other people work in the lounge the last time my family stayed at a Club level.

Another idea was looking into reserving a pool cabana, but I'm not sure how strong the WiFi would be out there or how early I could use it--I'm sure I could call for more info if it's an avenue worth pursuing.

Just looking for any ideas/suggestions/experiences to help me get an idea of how to make the most of the trip. Of course we could shorten the trip to not overlap with the days I'd have to work...but what's the fun in that? :earboy2:
I don't think anyone would mind if you were in the club for a couple of hours, but it isn't very quiet. That could be distracting depening on the type of work you're doing.

Have you considered a suite? You could be in a closed room by yourself while your family sleeps.

Seconding the comment above about the club lounges not being quiet. Things slow down after breakfast as folks head into the parks, but every time I've gone for breakfast it's been bustling with kids/families.

The quiet nooks at GCH you mentioned are a good bet, but consider new DVC tower lobby too — it's generally pretty empty because there's no real draw/attraction for non-guests... most people are just passing through to their rooms. There's also a nice side DVC side room (open to anyone) just off the lobby that's bright, airy, and generally quiet. The wifi at the new tower is as good as it gets.

Ah, that's a good reminder on the breakfast hustle and bustle - I do remember that it was a lot more crowded and noisy in those early hours.

A suite would be intriguing if it weren't for the significant added cost.

The DVC tower might be a great option...I can always go back to my room and work from the desk there once the family is up and out...🤔

If you can make your phone a hotspot, if it were me I'd probably try to work somewhere in the park. :) Might not work for the calls/meetings, but anything on a laptop...

I can just 'work' just about anywhere, but if I need to take meetings, the places you indicated would be challenging (noise, etc.) I would suggest working from the lounge and scheduling meetings for when the family will be out of the room and using your room during that time.

like all questions, it depends.

do you need a quiet space to take meetings via Zoom or Teams or whatever virtual means there are? Is the information shared in those meetings confidential?

what kind of work do you need to do and if you need to use the WiFi, you realize it’s not a secured link, correct? It’s a public WiFi accessible to anyone that is on property. If you need secured WiFi, then you need to use your phone as a mobile hotspot. If the information is confidential in your meetings, then you need to go use a room that no one else is in.

I have taken many a work call while at the parks and staying on property...reality is there are no "quiet" public spaces virtually anywhere other than your room.

Had a call with my main client and thought I had a quiet spot but wound up with screams from Big Thunder in the background..."who is getting murdered in the background?" they asked jokingly...they knew where I was and were DL fans as well but it is tough if you can't have distractions in the background. There are loud kids EVERYWHERE and all that background noise get amplified on a call or Zoom.

Been in your shoes recently, TJ. I had a significant presentation to make and used my room. Was sweating that the GC wifi had enough juice for my Teams video call. It went fine, especially as it was late enough in the day that the family was in the parks.

Even if you're not staying at the hotel, you can usually still access some of the quiet nooks in GCH; I've stepped out of the parks and gone up a couple levels in GCH to take work calls.

I've also taken calls in the parks; walkway between Splash Mountain and ROTR is a quiet area usually. Paradise Garden Park (before world of color crowds of course) or some of the nooks by GRR are quiet enough for calls with airpods.

The pool areas are usually pretty quiet in the mornings if you can work outside.

In a real pinch, you could probably walk over to the Westin or another hotel on that side and find a quiet place in their lobby.

There is a Business Center in the lobby of the Grand Californian (I believe it's off the hallway that runs towards the conference center/downtown Disney). I'm not sure if it is only accessible via keycard (limited to guests staying on-site), but that may be a good option if you don't want to use your room.

A quick Google search showed me that the Disneyland hotel does NOT offer a business center, but I found the following posted to the Plan Disney website: "There is an area in the Adventure Tower at the Disneyland Hotel past the double elevators that is a bit quieter. While they don't have a business center, a Cast Member told me that many people don't know this area is there in the Adventure Tower and many use it as a place to work when they need a private area. You will be able to access the onsite Disneyland wi-fi which is available all throughout the park."

Last edited:
Depending on how much room you need, all the hotels have nice quiet places that are out of the way

This is the type of trip that I’d consider staying off site in an actual suite hotel.

Alternatively could you book an offsite hotel to go to on the mornings you need to work?

Work + Disney. Those two words should not be in the same sentence. I go to DL to forget about work.

Sadly, that's not my reality. I was checking my work email almost as much as the tip board wait times on the Disney app.

Kinda sucks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter