Dog airline carrier

mrsboz

DIS Veteran
I have an 18 pound dog that I would like to bring to Florida. I will be flying on JetBlue and was wondering if anyone has taken their dog before on JetBlue. I’ve been looking for carriers but the dimensions never seem correct. Just when I find one it seems like someone will write a bad review or say they were stopped at the gate and that carrier cannot go on. Any ideas?

I haven't flown JetBlue with a pet but I have been on JetBlue with my bosses with their Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. I've flown SW and American recently with an 20 pound Havanese in an old Sherpa bag we had for a previous dog. I really don't know if the bag is that big of a deal but have you looked at this one:
https://www.amazon.com/JetPaws-Offi...ocphy=9008392&hvtargid=pla-307585816486&psc=1
And I'll say SW was very laid back and American almost didn't let me fly with my dog because they felt like she couldn't stand up in the carrier.

We used a soft-sided carrier for our dog. We flew American, so the rules might be different, but it cost us $125 (in 2015). Also, on American, at least, the dog counted as your carry-on.

We actually bought 2 identical carriers--we were moving, and had the dog and 3 cats--they went in two groups. I had Round 2, with the dog and a large cat. The carrier's zipper broke when I took the cat out to get through security (required--less of an issue for a dog). I managed to hold it together with a safety pin, but it only added to the stress of moving. Interestingly, the remaining carrier is still going strong, but after the zipper failure, I wouldn't recommend the brand I used.

Thanks but the Jet Blue one mentioned is entirely too small and doesn’t have wheels.

I was hoping someone had traveled and can recommend one that will work. I’ve been reading many reviews that peygkt denied at the gate.

Thanks but the Jet Blue one mentioned is entirely too small and doesn’t have wheels.

I was hoping someone had traveled and can recommend one that will work. I’ve been reading many reviews that peygkt denied at the gate.
Keep in mind that some airports/agents might look the other way while others are going to stick to the rules. When we flew out of Reagan last summer it was a very close call and technically my dog shouldn't have been allowed to fly on American. On the way back at a small airport in Northern Michigan, they didn't give me any trouble. So even if you find someone who has flown on JetBlue, it's really not going to provide you with much information IMO. I've checked in (11/2019) with my bosses and their Cavalier King Charles Spaniels on JetBlue out of Richmond and Orlando and they had really nice Sherpa bags (no wheels) and they didn't have issues on either end and my guess is the bags were bigger than what's technically allowed.

One thing I will say about JetBlue was the dogs were having a fit in the bags (they were only 7 months old) and the flight attendants were very okay with the dogs not being under the seat and zipped in the bag. Again, this is likely very dependent on the crew.

I think finding a bag with wheels that meets Jet Blue's size requirements will be hard because they are requiring a pretty small bag (17" is not very long).

Also, JetBlue's weight limit puts you pretty close to maximum when you include the carrier (carriers with wheels are obviously going to weigh more), so again, if they go by the rules they may not let you fly.

Last edited:
I've flown with my 9 pound dog and used a Sherpa soft sided carrier. It does not have wheels. Most airlines tell you the dimensions for the carrier PLUS the dog has to be able to stand up and turn in it. An 18 pound dog sounds a bit on the large size to fit in any carrier under-seat. They will insist the carrier with the dog in it goes under the seat. You cannot have it near your feet as it's a safety hazard. Double, triple, and quadruple check with Jet Blue for their requirements. Don't rely on responses here or elsewhere.

Peasnme. Thank you for your response but the dimensions on this carrier are too large for Jet Blue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter