Does your DVC home resort really matter?

But most people kind of have to guess at some point, don't they? I stayed at OKW years ago, and went on the DVC tour--they were selling AKV at the time. We go to WDW or DLR every other year, so if we tried out all the WDW resorts till I found the perfect one, I bet some contracts would be nearing their expiration before I was ready. I bought BWV based on pictures and location and SSR based on pictures and price--I've never even been to either resort yet. VGC . . . :love: Stayed there last summer on our BWV points and it was love at first sight. :cloud9:

There is a reason for so many resales, some of those were best guesses. It isn't the end of the world, it's just a pre-paid hotel room.

Understanding what you really like can save you some time, headaches, and money.

We know that booking at your non-home resort is getting tougher and who wants to devote hours playing the hope we get what we want, shift our vacation dates, hope the waitlist comes through. walk the reservation, get stuck staying at a resort you don't really care for game.

This is suppose to be a wonderful vacation, not another chore.

:earsboy: Bill

We know that booking at your non-home resort is getting tougher and who wants to devote hours playing the hope we get what we want, shift our vacation dates, hope the waitlist comes through. walk the reservation, get stuck staying at a resort you don't really care for game.

But from my 'training' (experience) before buying DVC, I figured all timeshare was a game of thrills, suspense and excitement. I don't expect timeshare to work like a hotel: phone in, book room, done. I've always expected to go fishing or even hunting to get my prize reservation. :genie:

My husband and I are looking to Purchase DVC for the first time in the resale market. I would like my home resort on the monorail loop and my husband wants the best deal. Does your "Home Resort" really matter? We both understand that you can book 11 months in advance with your home resort verses 7 months with your non home resort. Besides that difference is there any benefit to paying more per point and higher dues to have a monorail loop resort as your home resort? Also has anyone experienced difficultly booking at their non Home Resort 7 months out? We both would truly appreciate any insight anyone can share to help us with our DVC investment.

Thank you
The only differences are the home resort booking window, underlying maint fees, expiration and any inherent discounts such as standard view rooms. Currently there isn't a huge cost difference between buying SSR and BLT if you'll utilize the standard view option there part of the time. The later expiration, standard view options and slightly lower fees compared to SSR aren't enough to force a bad purchase, IMO. Certainly SSR is the best $$$ situation but BLT isn't that far behind and I feel it's a much safer option than AKV. To look at some round numbers for say say 200 points. SSR at roughly $16K & yearly fees around $1035 per year with BLT at around $22000 & $1010 per year so roughly $6K more. However, if you use them occasionally at BLT standard, you'll save approximately 10% each time you do so or have 10% more points for other options.

We've just bought GF - out of a choice of Aulani, GF for the Poly. I don't know if we have enough points to stay at GF (only have 100) for more than 4 or 5 days tops. I'd have loved the option to buy at a cheaper resort, but was told that they were all sold out. I just hope we haven't made a big mistake as if we can't get in anywhere at the 7 month window we'll have no option but to either stay off site (at huge expense) or rent in points (another expense). :(

We've just bought GF - out of a choice of Aulani, GF for the Poly. I don't know if we have enough points to stay at GF (only have 100) for more than 4 or 5 days tops. I'd have loved the option to buy at a cheaper resort, but was told that they were all sold out. I just hope we haven't made a big mistake as if we can't get in anywhere at the 7 month window we'll have no option but to either stay off site (at huge expense) or rent in points (another expense). :(
IMO buying VGF for the purpose of staying elsewhere a significant portion of the time is a less than perfect choice. Are you within your cancelation window?

I'd have loved the option to buy at a cheaper resort, but was told that they were all sold out. I just hope we haven't made a big mistake as if we can't get in anywhere at the 7 month window we'll have no option but to either stay off site (at huge expense) or rent in points (another expense). :(
That the other resorts are "sold out" is not an outright lie -- but you certainly may have been misled. DVC timeshare sales personnel will sometimes give the distinct impression that only those three resorts can be bought, but that is simply not true.

You can still buy contracts at ALL resorts -- either direct through DVC (possibly wait-listing), or in the resale market.

Resale contracts are plentiful for most resorts and are far less expensive than buying direct.

Under Florida law, you have 10 days from date of purchase to cancel your purchase (called rescinding). If you are still within that period, you may want to consider rescinding. And even if you are beyond your rescission period, you may want to call Member Administration and tell them you were misled and want to cancel.

That the other resorts are "sold out" is not an outright lie -- but you certainly may have been misled. DVC timeshare sales personnel will sometimes give the distinct impression that only those three resorts can be bought, but that is simply not true.

You can still buy contracts at ALL resorts -- either direct through DVC (possibly wait-listing), or in the resale market.

Resale contracts are plentiful for most resorts and are far less expensive than buying direct.

Under Florida law, you have 10 days from date of purchase to cancel your purchase (called rescinding). If you are still within that period, you may want to consider rescinding. And even if you are beyond your rescission period, you may want to call Member Administration and tell them you were misled and want to cancel.

We're beyond the 10 days but by less than a month, but I've still not paid them as they haven't bothered to send me all the bank information I need in order to do so. They did make it clear that while we could buy through resale we wouldn't get access to all the accommodation types, such as cruises and such like.

What definitely wasn't made clear was how difficult it might be booking a cheaper resort at the 7-month point. That said, we don't travel at peak season or holidays (either UK or US), and that might make it easier to get the resort we want. I've also been told that I am quite unlikely to get a couple of nights at a DLR hotel for late March/early April next year. Again, I've been misled there ...

We're beyond the 10 days but by less than a month, but I've still not paid them as they haven't bothered to send me all the bank information I need in order to do so. They did make it clear that while we could buy through resale we wouldn't get access to all the accommodation types, such as cruises and such like.

What definitely wasn't made clear was how difficult it might be booking a cheaper resort at the 7-month point. That said, we don't travel at peak season or holidays (either UK or US), and that might make it easier to get the resort we want. I've also been told that I am quite unlikely to get a couple of nights at a DLR hotel for late March/early April next year. Again, I've been misled there ...
The 10 days doesn't necessarily start from the time you signed the papers, there are other qualifications that must be met though it's likely you're past the time when you could cancel, you may want to be certain though. Realize that low demand times for FL and Disney in general are not necessarily low demand times for DVC. For example, early Dec is a high demand DVC time. Getting options at or after 7 months are not generally overly difficult if one plans ahead, is realistic and uses the wait list. Certain times of the year WILL be difficult and certain options will alway be difficult such as BCV 2Q 2BR, GV in general, AKV concierge, any lower cost option such as BWV standard or AKV value are unlikely to be available.

They did make it clear that while we could buy through resale we wouldn't get access to all the accommodation types, such as cruises and such like.
You cannot use resale points for Disney hotels, cruises, Adventures by Disney, etc. But before you consider that a negative, take a look at the points costs of those options. They are VERY expensive options. With only 100 points, those options are irrelevant -- even banking and borrowing to get 300 points every third year.

Being excluded from those options is a good thing, not a bad thing, IMHO.

That said, we don't travel at peak season or holidays (either UK or US), and that might make it easier to get the resort we want.
Just keep in mind that busy seasons for DVC are not necessarily the same as holiday seasons, tourist seasons, or peak periods at WDW. In fact, the busiest time for DVC is probably early December, which is a slow time for everything else but DVC is slammed.

OTOH, being allowed to use points for non-home or non-DVC options and being successful doing so are not the same thing. If the timeshare salesman told you those options were available, they were telling the truth..."subject to availability."

Only you can determine whether you want out of your purchase. If you want out, call Member Administration and explain your concerns and ask to cancel. The worst they can do is say no.

Yup. My SIL is about to lose it trying to get rooms in early November. They started trying 2 months ago at the 9mo mark. Too bad so sad it was not just jersey week but food n wine at the most demanded resorts (their home, BWV and BCV).

Currently they are considering canceling altogether, renting out their borrowed points (which expires dec 1), and trying again for 2016.

They looked at June-October as alternatives today... They REFUSE to stay at Saratoga. That's all that's available. They want either their homes (BWV/BCV) or BLT.

Looks like EVERYONE at SSR traded in at the 7 mo mark to get anywhere else but SSR. Only SSR is wide open.

7-11mo mark of importance? Methinks after the SSR opening... Yes. Bc strangely enough, nothing available anywhere till November for 5 days in a row except SSR.

I suggest that you take your time and learn about the DVC system, you can bank and borrow to increase your available points. After your learning curve, you will be better equipped to decide if DVC is worth it, what your favorite resorts are, room categories, size, and views. Then you will know which home resort to buy and how many points. You can either use your VGF points, sell the contract, or rent them out.

The good thing is that we were given 2014 points and therefore started with 200 points (100 of which are banked). We WILL be going to US next year, whether it's a family holiday or just me and my bro doing our mini road trip, but I know that I only have until end September 2016 to use the 2014 points otherwise I'll have to rent them out. Still, that won't be a bad thing if I can get enough for them.

If you're saying early November is a bad week, then we'll have to reconsider that but as things stand my holiday year at work starts 1st November and therefore if I do the road trip in April I won't have enough holiday left to do FL as well - unless we go after November. I obviously don't want to run up to Christmas because that'll be busier and also a lot more expensive.

As I said previously, we would like to do a split stay utilising our home resort, but of course we'll be able to book GF at 11 months and then have to wait a further 4 months before we can attempt for AKL, OKW or Boardwalk.

Can I also please ask how you get a DVC image/icon for your signatures? I would love to swap my signature over ...

There is a reason for so many resales, some of those were best guesses. It isn't the end of the world, it's just a pre-paid hotel room.

Understanding what you really like can save you some time, headaches, and money.

Totally agree with this post. I have been a member since 2000. At that time, and in the 8 to 10 years that followed, you could get what you wanted most of the time at 7 months. I have definitely seen a change in the last 7 years and it continues to get worse. The 7 month dance is awful. Want nothing to do the grabbing days here and there, adjusting vacations, wait-listing and so on. Buy where you want to stay and book early! It is so less frustrating!

If you're saying early November is a bad week, then we'll have to reconsider that but as things stand my holiday year at work starts 1st November and therefore if I do the road trip in April I won't have enough holiday left to do FL as well - unless we go after November. I obviously don't want to run up to Christmas because that'll be busier and also a lot more expensive.

As I said previously, we would like to do a split stay utilising our home resort, but of course we'll be able to book GF at 11 months and then have to wait a further 4 months before we can attempt for AKL, OKW or Boardwalk.

Early November isn't a bad week, per se, but it's JERSEY WEEK.... My sister and my sister in law goes down there. As does a gazillion ppl from NJ.

There's a public school teacher conference that week. Kids are off school.

Plus, it's during FOOD N WINE, so good luck with boardwalk :). You can probably get AKL and OKW, but this year the tail end of jersey week happens to land on marathon weekend, as well.

Their home resort was booked solid at the 9mo mark (Epcot resorts). So they were hoping to get some resorts they wanted at the 7mo mark (this week). Not promising.

At the 7 mo mark it was near impossible to get a studio anywhere during marathon weekend for both weekend days. A two bed was only available at OKW and SSR. One beds seemed plenty, all things considered.

First week of November is jersey week. Book early and Epcot is particularly packed bc of food n wine. ;)

On an off note, dvc members seem to like first two weeks of December. Less points. Xmas season, low crowds... Just book your home 11mo on advance for these dates!

Last edited:
The good thing is that we were given 2014 points and therefore started with 200 points (100 of which are banked). We WILL be going to US next year, whether it's a family holiday or just me and my bro doing our mini road trip, but I know that I only have until end September 2016 to use the 2014 points otherwise I'll have to rent them out. Still, that won't be a bad thing if I can get enough for them.

Dearest Toffeewoffy, another DVC sales exaggeration, you were not given 2014 points, you bought them based on the UY that you were sold. My guess is that you didn't request your UY, you were given or directed to one so that the guide could make it seem that you received extra points.

One of our negatives owning DVC is that we have learned that Disney isn't the upstanding company that we always thought it was.

I thought the same thing. It's still 2014 use year for September, so that's this years points. I'd make sure they're really banked, too, unless you want to use them this use year.

Dearest Toffeewoffy, another DVC sales exaggeration, you were not given 2014 points, you bought them based on the UY that you were sold.
Bill is right here, and this is about as close as most DVC timeshare sales personnel will get to telling an outright lie.

You were NOT "given" anything; you bought those points -- no matter what the salesman told you.

I just feel that I have to jump in and say that sometimes you are "given" points. I went on a waiting list for VGF in early March for my April UY. My guide called me 5 days before 4/1 to tell me that the waitlist has come through. I received 2014 points, which he assured I could bank. Points were in the system the following day and I banked them 4 days before the end of my use year.

If Disney didn't care, they could have waited 3 business days and not given me 2014 points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter