Does Southwest add more flights??

Bullseye

Faithful Companion
Does anyone know if the Southwest flights you see available now for May 2013 are the only flights they will have for a given day? Or is it normal for them to add additional flights in the future? The prices are so high right now, I was hoping to hold off until maybe they came down. But I'm concerned if I don't book now, I may not get a flight at all. Anyone know how that works? :confused3

Does anyone know if the Southwest flights you see available now for May 2013 are the only flights they will have for a given day? Or is it normal for them to add additional flights in the future? The prices are so high right now, I was hoping to hold off until maybe they came down. But I'm concerned if I don't book now, I may not get a flight at all. Anyone know how that works? :confused3

Very rarely. Southwest's schedule is pretty much set in stone when it comes out.

It depends on when in May you're flying - the holiday weekend or another time

FWIW, our trip is 12/13-12/21. I waited several months after they opened up the schedule to book. In fact, I booked our Feb dates, before I booked our Dec dates. For our route - BDL - MCO I thought $120 was a bit high. We had some flexibility around our days so as long as there was at least one flight at $120 that I was ok with, I continued to wait.

I finally FIRST purchased 10/17 (for a 12/13 travel date) the flights were $110. I changed on 10/29 to get them for $90, then on 11/19 to get them for $84 and then lastly on 11/20 for $66 (this fare I think was only on sale for a couple hours)
I didn't do as well with my return trip, - which I did with points,but I think I got the comparable of $84.

So if I was you, and was travelling mid may and didn't HAVE to travel on weekends, I would probably wait for now....

But you have to do what works best for you.

The nice thing about SWA is that you can change for no change fees:cool1:

The schedule shouldn't change but the prices will fluctuate. If you are that concerned about a certain day/time, perhaps purchase one way now and then watch it like a hawk. If it comes down, you can get credit and then apply it to the other way.

Also, in my experience, weekend non-stop flights are the ones least likely to move too much, price-wise. We have the best luck flying on Tues, Wed or Thurs. (I am assuming you are flying out of Midway based on your location. This is also our home airport.)

Good Luck!

Thanks all, that's what I kind of thought. I like flying Southwest out of Midway to MCO so I just bit the bullet and paid the higher price. I need to be on the first flight on our arrival day because we are picking DD from Disney college that day and need to be there early in the day. Overall it probably cost me about $300 more for airfare this year. :sad2:

Still keep checking.

A couple years ago, I was amazed (!) when we were able to grab New Years Day flights home at a good price after they had been very high for awhile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter